Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: capsule sizes....

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Sam for the imput...hope your doing well. As an engineer do you have any ideas about how to improve an existing cockpit with respect to energy absorption and distribution. I will be getting Bob Roberts 120 out of mothballs and thought I might try some things. I'm thinking along the lines of a properly engineered deflector in the back and a layer of material on the sides to absorb a portion of the energy in side impacts. I saw a picture of a boat in Europe that looked like the exterior sides had been beefed up. I agree no one will even consider changes that result in tossing current cells. If some improvements could be engineered and at least put through finite element analysis or something similar and offered as suggestions we could make real progress.
    Jeff

Post Thanks / Like

Default Pugh 45

Quote Originally Posted by sst45jefff View Post
    Shep - you brought up an important point about seat failure that most probably dont think about..

In Isleton we had a Pugh sst120 blow over and it was not even a hard crash. Pretty soft as crashes go.
    After the boat was towed in, upon inspection the back board to the capsule had torn out about half way around the capsule.
    The first thought was that it was hydraulic-ed out by the water but he did not go in backwards.

Obviously this is a major concern due to the fact that the shoulder belts are fastened to the back board of the capsule in this boat.

So installation of the belts & seat integrity are probably the biggest factor.

Has anybody else had the back of there capsule come out during a crash ?
    Don't expect to make any friends with this but here goes. I have a 2008 PUGH 45 that came apart at the end of a straight away and have still yet to hear from the builder. Aparently he didnt like the way I spoke to him in the voicemail. Didn't think these boats came apart. Or atleast wanted to know why?? and where. I can tell you one thing it really changes my perspective on wood boats.

Jr.

Jr.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi MercGuy, Mr.Schmitt......

All boats come apart. Some backboards are built better than others.

None of my boats have been able to meet the 2 inch clearance requirement. I think that is the essence of what Mercguy is inquiring about, are there any taller capsuled boats. We need a warehouse for Men that makes tall capsules.

The comment about tightening the crotch strap is also very important! Wear it low. I adjusted it in my Lamb and really have no issues now.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kevin View Post
    Hi MercGuy, Mr.Schmitt......

All boats come apart. Some backboards are built better than others.

None of my boats have been able to meet the 2 inch clearance requirement. I think that is the essence of what Mercguy is inquiring about, are there any taller capsuled boats. We need a warehouse for Men that makes tall capsules.

The comment about tightening the crotch strap is also very important! Wear it low. I adjusted it in my Lamb and really have no issues now.

yep, I was just inquiring on "taller capsules", but all the other info is also very helpful........
    Daren Goehring
    63-R
    DSH, 500ccmh, 750ccmh

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Nelson View Post
    The canopy is a joke, that thing should never come off ever! and very rarely does it stay on. I would love to see boat builders in the US start looking at a way to make the boats safer, as the European series is starting to do.
    You are absolutely right about that, and I recommend you to take a hard look at original unmodified Lee Craft canopy (like on my boat).....that thing is like having another helmet over my helmet....and it's designed to stay intact and closed in event of accident..... windshield too!!!
    http://www.spnmotorsports.com

Go Fast - Turn Left!!!

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Would getting one supplier to make the cockpits and then all builders have to install it make any sense?
    On a slightly different scale but you cant make your own selt belts can you?
    but you are allowed to install them wrongly?

I think the UIM is doing some research on cockpits now and all certified builders are being made to pay for it. As more builders join the price will go down and some will get refunds.

Thread Information