Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: OMC twin and triple flywheel interchange

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default OMC twin and triple flywheel interchange

Are Johnson/Evinrude flywheels from 45 inch twins and 49 inch triples interchangeable? 1970s style CD ignition.

Burgess/Evinrude F1 V8 Lars Strom's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I am pretty sure that you can not do that..
    Lars Strom

Life is good

Check my own racing history at BRF...http://www.boatracingfacts.com/forum...ead.php?t=6727

My racing web site SVERA.se....http://svera.se/blogg/paris-6-hours/

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I had also thought that but a spare I have made me wonder. I know the stators and timing bases are different but the trigger magnet ring on the flywheel hub is split at 180* like a triple. Casual inspection looks like the physical dimensions are the same. Unless there are different arrangement of the charging magnets. Or could be the one I have that I think is from a twin is actually from a triple.

I couldn't find a spare example I was 100% sure was from a triple to compare. May have to pull one off the 75 to compare.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Strawn View Post
    I had also thought that but a spare I have made me wonder. I know the stators and timing bases are different but the trigger magnet ring on the flywheel hub is split at 180* like a triple. Casual inspection looks like the physical dimensions are the same. Unless there are different arrangement of the charging magnets. Or could be the one I have that I think is from a twin is actually from a triple.

I couldn't find a spare example I was 100% sure was from a triple to compare. May have to pull one off the 75 to compare.
    You need to check the dimensions.. dia, position of the keyway in relation to the magnets exactly. & the depth of the cavity compared to how deep the wheel sits on the taper. Youll need em side by side. I would have thought no way till you stated the magnets in both are 180 deg. If they are... You can go to BRP parts catalogue & reference #s but even if different it could be for a reason besides fit. Good luck.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default They do not interchange

Sorry boys,

The 45 and 49.9 crank tapers are two different sizes, but the Merc 500 flexplate flywheel fits the OMC triple with a spacer washer and thin nut.

Tim

Thread Information