Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Mod VP Pictures..

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RonHill
    In picture number 30, that is Ron Hill's boat, but Rod Zapf is driving...the Parachute life jacket gives him away....(He used it in his 5 liter hydro)...

I never like the full face helmets as I never felt I could see, and I always liked to see everything and everyone...

If I had open face helmet in my roll over accident, my face would be slashed in half, by the edge of the cell. Chin part of the helmet had really deep and about 2.5inch long gash in it.
    Full face helmet is the only way to go.
    http://www.spnmotorsports.com

Go Fast - Turn Left!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Default That was 20 Years Ago...

IF I raced today, I'd probably run the full face helmet...but ....

If I ran a capsule, I'd run a full face for sure!!!!

I found, when I ran kneel downs, my head was always on the floor boards (Because the full face was so heavy, but today, they weigh very little).. instead of up where I could see...I don't think JIMBO ever ran a full face helmet....

Times change!!

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default I'm with you Ron

I always preferred open helmet for the view. Tried on full face but they were very restrictive and VERY heavy (in the old days). I always liked to be able to see where everyone is as much as was possible. Started with a Bell helmet, but in 1972 met a guy that sold Premier helmets and other safety stuff. He was tied in with John Mecom. Remember him? The Premier helmets had a good impact liner and a tight but comfortable fit around the cheekbone and Cheeks, with good spaces around the ears. Unlike the Bell which may rotate back at speeds in a C or D hydro. The Premier stayed where it was strapped. You had to spread the straps to put it on, but it was very comfortable. The full face back then were too rigid to get a tight fit.

Sometimes it is the luck of the draw, but I think if I had been wearing a full face when I stuffed in 75 I would either not be here or not be able to type. BUT, that was a long time ago. Full face has bound to have come a long way by now.

Post Thanks / Like

Default John Mecom...

As in the John Mecom who owned the New Orleans Saints???

Post Thanks / Like

Default That's the one!

He used to be involved in boat racing too, but I forget how. I'll get out an old Motorsport Magazine and look. Maybe he was distributor for Premier. Now that I think about it, maybe it was car racing, but I do know he was involved in racing. The editor of Motorsport, Harry Echols was placing some ads and the Premier guy had some samples of their stuff and a store in Houston. Believe me they had some quality products.

Post Thanks / Like

Default OK it was car racing.

But something in the back of my mind thinks he had fast boats too. Since the editor of Motorsport lived in Houston, Joe got to go around with him sometimes while he sold ads or was working on stories. Several times Joe got to hang out at AJ Foyts shop. But I think his favorite was going with Harry to one of the clients he did promotions for---The Red Baron Clubs.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Thanks / Like

Default AJ Foyt...

Having grown up being an AJ Foyt mega fan, when I actually met him, face to face (Ontario, 1978)....I could hardly talk, becasue I was in shock that he was smaller than I...Hell, I figured Ole AJ would have been a foot taller than me......

Mecom's boat was a Lou Brummet, Mandella...called "The Saint", she may have been one of Red Adair's boats as I think she had a Louie Unser Ford Cobra motor...Somewhere, I've got an article of two about John's boat...

After Lou's death, October 1969-70, flat bottom marathoning slowed way down...The outboards were taking over...and many high dollar guys felt they couldn't compete against the outboards, so they went away...Many went Ski Racing, many quit boat racing all together...

Add: Lou wasn't the ONLY Inboard Marathoner to die racing....plus losing Bill Cooper, to cancer, about this time, things change...

Great pictures... Wayne...

Sure you don't want to get a TRI HULL and we could race in Texas????
    Last edited by Ron Hill; 12-19-2008 at 05:31 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Joe Rome told me John Mecom was a marathon racer

today! You're right Ron. Joe was going to put some stuff up tonite--maybe. He said he had some articles about John and Red Adair and Michael Reagan. About Tri-hulls...........what would you think about your racing school doing hard time, in reality,.... with a 16 year old?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Not Sure Your Question...

If you are asking what my Driving School would think of having a 16 year old drive a Tri Hull, I'd say, "SURE".... A 16 foot boat witha 140 HP, full shifting gearcase, with a roll cage in the boat....

1. A 16 foot Glastron has side that are at least 30 inches high...So, the side itself is a pretty good bumper.

2. A 16 foot Glastron doesn't have a very pointed bow, so, it a MAJOR "T" Bone accident, I see broke fiberglass, mostly.

3. The best V-4 140 without a cone and bottom water pick ups has to run the propshaft no higher than level with the bottom, so, the boats should turn without spinning out...

4. A 16 foot Glastron will run in OCEAN CONDITIONS...

5. The side are great bill boards.....

6. They race with Modified Le Mans starts, on big courses, with many laps...This reduces the first turn 'CRUSH".

I personally can't think of a class for anyone starting out that would be better...You should get two...One for you and me, and one for your son....always good to have someone to tow you in when you run out of gas...

John Rinker told me they beat you up, and that he wished he was 16.....

I use to race a 17 footer with twin 115 Evinrudes...Mike Reagan, Bill Cooper and Rudy Raymos won Havasu in a 21 footer, I was second in a 17 footer...1967...Loved every minute of that 8 hour race...the boat was a handful with twins, but I called it my GASTRON as I just loved to driver it...She was a "GAS"....

ADD: Tri Hull...Electric start, sit down, pump gas, local dealer for parts....(KISS) Keep it simple stupid)....and no real engine rules, so you can modify the engine if you want...

Call John Schubert....Or see the Tri Hull page...

Post Thanks / Like

Default Yeah, you could take that message the wrong way

I was in a hurry last night to run back to the shop to load up for a job in the Valley today. I was meaning, not computer lessons on your thread school (which I enjoy by the way), but sitting in the cockpit next to him. I was thinking maybe somebody that wanted to test a trihull down here this winter may bring it by so we could check it out. So far that's the only local racing I have heard about that may be a possibility for someone starting out that is within a reasonable distance.

Thread Information