Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: squishing block

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 88workcar View Post
    He is refering to the BLOCK, not the head. That is a totaly differant thing.

I've never heard of squishing a block to squeeze down a crankcase. I think it would be completely visibly obvious and not effective. The minimal volume change you could do to a crankcase would have doubtful effect
    Since 1925, about 150 different racing outboards have been made.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mark75H View Post
    I've never heard of squishing a block
    Thats right, you and many others, that's why the question was asked. It is very old school, it is good for about 200rpm, and is hard to catch in a stock class.
    Helping folks out around the globe.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Is 1930 far enough?

I'm talking old school and very old school.

I'm 100% certain squishing a crankcase to a degree to reduce the volume would be easily detectable

and I doubt you could make a usable improvement. Charlie Strang admitted the special tight alky 20H crankcase he made for Merc, even though it was a lot tighter than the stock crankcase, made no measurable improvement.

An excessively large crankcase can diminish power, but once you are in the OK range, further tightening has no measurable effect.

I don't think an outboard or motorcycle has been made with a crankcase outside the OK range since the 1920's.

Attempts have been made to improve crankcase performance by adding material ... usually called "stuffing". Sometimes with filler material like epoxy and sometimes with preformed metal parts screwed or glued in. But again, these mods were never shown to be more than wishful thinking because the crankcases were already within the OK range.

Repeating, even in "old school", going back as far as the 1930's, I've never heard of squishing a crankcase to decrease volume and deceive inspectors.

Post Thanks / Like

Default hello

wrong concept sam it is not to gain crank case pressure

Post Thanks / Like

Well cheating anit cheating till someone gets caught. In the history of the world, if there was a race, one of the two participants was "looking" for an advantage. Thus rules were made..... see...., Now it is quite often that one is told, awe that's too little of a change to make a differance. Well a few little changes can become a winning combo. Now I an not encourageing cheating, but it is done daily. That why our group "runs what you brung" at the end of the day, no crying, no finger pointing, no accusing of cheating. You just go home, and come back with more.

Now the squinching that is being asked about is not to do with crankcase pressures either. Thats why the question was asked, it is not common knowledge.
    On a secound note I think that you would be hard pressed to argue with a drag racing crowd that stuffing a crankcase is worthless, but that would be for a differant post.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by genea01 View Post
    wrong concept sam it is not to gain crank case pressure
    Are you guys talking about windage trays in 4 strokes? completely different changing the crankcase to reduce turbulence is not an issue on 2 strokes. If you showed a 4 stroke drag racer the insides of a 2 stroke, I think they'd be very impressed with the low volume.

If thats not what you guys are talking about, YOU need to explain what the heck you are talking about

Post Thanks / Like

Default squishing block

It's what id like to do to a hot block with a sledge hammer when the sleeves don't just fall out after an hour in the oven!
    Even the "modern loopers" can be stubborn at times.

Seriuosly though the way the process was explaned to me involved-
    1.) hydraulic press to push down on the top of the head/block
    2.) a cylinderical stopping pin of a known length to limit movement of the
    chamber when placed inside of the cylinder before pressing
    3.) in some cases careful application of heat to the block to prevent the
    aluminum from cracking during pressing

With the above setup a "skilled craftsman" would press the top of the chamber down to the stop maintaining the stock appearance of the block.

Post Thanks / Like

bingo

Post Thanks / Like

Outboarder is saying squish the combustion chamber ... in post 10 you say that is not what you are asking about. All my posts above post 10 (and most of the posts by others on this thread) refer to this method.

If you are interpreting block squishing to shortening a block in a press with the head off ... it would be easily detected in inspection. I have never heard of it being done and I doubt it could be done without grinding on one end of the sleeve or the other OR the sleeve protruding dramatically into the crankcase ... and any and all making it even more apparent to an inspector.

I still have never heard of shortening a block by pressing on removable head motors anywhere in the history of outboard racing ... recently or far back.

I truly suspect the idea came from head squishing a blind bore Merc and got lost along the way like in the game post office, not in actual practice.
    Last edited by Mark75H; 11-08-2009 at 02:14 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Anthony, I set up a block in a press and tried pressing the head. Cold it cracked before moving ... but done hot it worked reasonably well, sometimes cracked the spark plug hole, but nothing that a Helicoil couldn't fix

Thread Information