Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: CG Calculations, Trim, Bouncing, Driver Weights etc.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Tom,

Question, You stated that CG changes with the classes. Does that mean the CG must move forward for the faster speeds to compensate for the increased bow lift?

In turning, how do you test for optimum cornering speeds off a course? Also similarly, how do you test acceleration for different setups? In the old days I just tested for top end.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by smiley View Post
    Tom,

That sounds fantastic. A club owned setup with mentors. Sure beats investing in setups only to find the kids don't have the desire to participate.

I have been in model control-line precision aerobatics competition for the past seven years and newcomers are rare. The building time, commitment is too much for them. You spend many hours building a plane and may crash the plane in 30 seconds. A steep learning curve for many to achieve continued success. My grandkids each built a plane and we flew them last year. Much fun but no takers for continued participation. When approached about boat racing, they jumped on the idea. Now I am getting them involved with the shop end of the sport. Next spring we get onto the water.

A senior racer here in Puget Sound has sponsored two youth over the years with a trailer outfitted with two hydros and a runabout, two motors and all equipment. He retired the sport this year He and the young man are now going to build a sportplane with a Rotax motor. Sounds like great fun.

I was forutunate to acquire all his equipment to get a jump start and will add to it to support our six kids and myself.

The Seattle Outboard Association has sponsored building Sorensen hydros each winter for newcomers. There were six Sorensons built last winter at the hydroplane museum here in the the NW. I guess there will be more built this year. The APBA and clubs have done a great job bringing in new blood. What other ideas around the country have been tried?

Smiley

you buy Norm's stuff???
    Daren Goehring
    63-R
    DSH, 500ccmh, 750ccmh

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Daren,

You are correct. We seem to have a connection with boat racing and collegiate wrestling. The neat thing is Norm is going to build a plane. I have been there and done that. I am returning to boat racing and he is a machinist. So we will probably be able to support each other in these new ventures.

Do you know of any guys in SOA that can help me train these six kids. Stuff like pit ettiquete, race strategy and tactics, how to time the starts, and how to turn wide and tight corners etc.?

We live in Kitsap County so crossing the ferry to the Seattle side gets expensive and takes a lot of time. The hydroplane museum is too far for us on weeknights.

Smiley

Post Thanks / Like

Daren,

You are correct. We seem to have a connection with boat racing and collegiate wrestling. The neat thing is Norm is going to build a plane. I have been there and done that. I am returning to boat racing and he is a machinist. So we will probably be able to support each other in these new ventures.

Do you know of any guys in SOA that can help me train these six kids. Stuff like pit ettiquete, race strategy and tactics, how to time the starts, and how to turn wide and tight corners etc.?

We live in Kitsap County so crossing the ferry to the Seattle side gets expensive and takes a lot of time. The hydroplane museum is too far for us on weeknights.

Smiley
    I am sorry to see Norm go, he was a great guy, excellant mentor for new drivers and all in all GREAT PERSON for local boat racing.

as for helping your mission on that side, your best bet is Dwight and Zach Malhiot (Bremerton area)and John Erickson (Bainbridge Island)...........you should really attempt to attend an SOA meeting. They are held the last Tuesday of each month and you will find all the answers and help you need there............
    Daren Goehring
    63-R
    DSH, 500ccmh, 750ccmh

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Daren,

I called John tonight and he was enroute from Arlington and stopped by. We had a great visit.

Yes, my opinion of Norm is the same. I hope we can keep him involved somehow. Perhaps I can get him to come to Kitsap lake and help us out. That way he can still influence the group.

Shucks, I just missed the meeting this last Tuesday.

Smiley

Post Thanks / Like

Daren,

I called John tonight and he was enroute from Arlington and stopped by. We had a great visit.

Yes, my opinion of Norm is the same. I hope we can keep him involved somehow. Perhaps I can get him to come to Kitsap lake and help us out. That way he can still influence the group.

Shucks, I just missed the meeting this last Tuesday.

Smiley

FYI............I would not be so concerned about CG, etc right now with new comers..............they need to learn how to make starts, turn and get a "feeling" for the boat...........only way to do that is to get on the race course or go testing.........BTW.....Reg10 has the largest J participation in the country and LOTS of people there to help and give guidance......several of our races in SOA, J hydro had the biggest turnout!!!!!! Yep, there have been elims in J at local races..........
    Daren Goehring
    63-R
    DSH, 500ccmh, 750ccmh

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Eliminations in J? That is awesome. That has got to be a rare occurance these years in racing. In the 50's, I believe it was more common.

Right on about boat familiarity etc. I have disscovered that the closest lakes are Kitsap Lake in Bremerton, WA. 20 miles away.with speed limit under 45 mph and underwater exhaust. They have a bunch of bouys in the lake and require a left turn circuit. Perfect set up for training. We will need to use KG7 standard lower units with transom jacks to keep the exhaust underwater. (Training with training wheels and save the racing equipment!!) Mason Lake in Belfair, WA. No limits there to we can use the Evinrudes and Mercury. About 30 miles. Lake Pleasant near Forks, WA . UGH about 2 hours drive. Not a real option.

What are the lakes in Pierce and King co that the SOA guys test on? They might be a better option. Is Spanaway Lake an option?

Smiley

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Eliminations in J? That is awesome. That has got to be a rare occurance these years in racing. In the 50's, I believe it was more common.

Right on about boat familiarity etc. I have disscovered that the closest lakes are Kitsap Lake in Bremerton, WA. 20 miles away.with speed limit under 45 mph and underwater exhaust. They have a bunch of bouys in the lake and require a left turn circuit. Perfect set up for what you mentioned Daren I can use the KG7s for that. Mason Lake in Belfair, WA. No limits there. About 30 miles. Lake Pleasant near Forks, WA . UGH about 2 hours drive.

What are the lakes in Pierce and King co that the SOA guys test on?

Smiley

Thread Information