Post Thanks / Like

Is this a fair price?
    Helping folks out around the globe.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 88workcar View Post
    Is this a fair price?
    Sounds a bit much ta me.

I don't race boats, and I collect post 1967 trigger fired inline6s that are mostly cornsumer engines. I'd luv ta find a speedmaster 2 to 1 LU fer a 15" Mid or even a 20" Mid fer one of me inline6s if I could.

Was the 55E a special race engine or some such?

Sounds like the feller is jus' talkin' about the fact that some were raced, not that this one was a full factory race engine with the special LU n' such.

I can get cornsumer engines, (many times: fresh water virgins), right here in God's country that actually run with even cornpression fer real small $ and the white girls are generally even cheaper then me purdy Black girls are.

Me overpriced $.02

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by OldMercsRule View Post
    I'd luv ta find a speedmaster 2 to 1 LU fer a 15" Mid or even a 20" Mid fer one of me inline6s if I could.

Was the 55E a special race engine or some such?
    The 40 cubic inch Mk55 powerhead can be a donor for a modified racer, but that's about it for racing.

The only 2:1 Speedmaster for an inline Merc is the BP type. They are both rare and unreliable. Not sure what you would do with a 20" mid or why you want one. They are the most common mid Merc made since about 1968.
    Since 1925, about 150 different racing outboards have been made.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Mark75H states: The 40 cubic inch Mk55 powerhead can be a donor for a modified racer, but that's about it for racing.

The only 2:1 Speedmaster for an inline Merc is the BP type.

Yup that is what I thought.

They are both rare and unreliable.

Knew they were rare, didn't know they were "unreliable". Don't like anything unreliable so maybe I don't want one after all.

Not sure what you would do with a 20" mid or why you want one.

I only have one functional brain cell, (not the sharpest knife in the ol' drawer). Not talkin' 'bout the midsection talkin' 'bout the low resistence LU with a 20" shaft. I bought a 14' Cobra a few days ago that has a 20" transom n' I'm runnin' a inline6 with a 20" midsection that I would like a LU with less resistence. I guess ya think it is stooooopid stoooooopid stoooooopid eh? (I said me $.02 was overpriced.)

That Sidewinder site (that you are also an influential member of), will not let me join fer some reason. Only boatin' site I've ever had trouble joinin'. Guess they don't want any new members with Sidewinder clones ta join.

Thanks fer the heads up about the unreliable nature of the factory low resistence LU fer me inlines.

They are the most common mid Merc made since about 1968.

Yup that they are, not that this tid bit has much ta do with the price of beans in Boston. Thanks again. JR

Edit: now that I read some more about the "speedmaster" LU, (from yer thread on S n F), I prolly would try ta acquire a 1 to 1 SSM, if I could find one in good shape fer decent $.

Not sure it even makes sense fer me since I don't race nor do I plan to.

I guess I will jus' bolt up a late model post 1979 LU with the slightly greater angle skeg n' stainless steel shaft on me 1972 tower.

I can see why ya think me post was stooooooopid, as it is/was. (only one functional brain cell here).

Thread Information