Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Toxic Racing

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Toxic Racing

All,

I'm not trying to hijack this thread but this is a rather disturbing video about the Village of DePue.

http://www.villageofdepue.com/

Regards, Carl

Post Thanks / Like

Default Lake Depue

Just think about all of the first time national champions over the years getting their first taste of beautiful lake depue or all the crashes we've had with people getting open wounds??? I remember a few years back my brother had a pretty decent cut on his leg when we went to depue and it took over 6 months for the cut to completley heal afterwards.

Pretty soon you will recognize all the national champions with a third arm and 12 fingers...
    Collin Thirlby
    "TEAM GREEN RACING"

Allen J. Lang

Default DePue

I have heard from some of my old racing buddies who will NOT race at DePue in the pro catagory. To shallow to run a capsule if you should go over and the Asian carp . Something has to be done to clean up the lake.

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

A few memories of the silty bottom from days past. I was told that the river was originally 20 or 30 feet deep, but the silt from the zinc smelter filled it in.

In 1970 I stepped on a seashell while being chased down the beach at Padre Island and a piece broke off in my instep. That was a week before we left for DePue. Back in those days I raced with no shoes. (It was legal then). I tied a plastic bag on my foot to keep the water out, but it didn't work and it got infected. Some of you may remember an old post about this when the battery fell over and was shocking me in the turns and spilling acid on the cut. The acid probably kept the infection from getting worse.

In 1972 I was leading my qualifying heat in C hydro. On the backside I looked back to see how far back the other boats were and I saw Billy Seebold chasing me. Suddenly my Marchetti took off. That was the only time in my racing career that I blew over, and it was high enough for a dozen blowevers. I guess I fainted and fell out of the boat because I don't remember falling. When I came to my senses I was up to my waist in silt and the water came up to my shoulders. The pickup boat guys couldn't pull me out of the mud because of the suction so one got in the water and pushed while the guy in the boat pulled. Glad I landed right side up.

In 1974 the lake was so low that an outside perimeter had to be staked out so boats wouldn't get into the shallow area. Alan Ishii has talked about throwing up mud when milling down below prior to the start.

I remember Sean McKean talking about how he had to stomp his capsule canopy open last year when he was imbedded in the mud.

DePue has a rich history, but also some real problems.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Just what are the results/harmful effects of DePue????

Wayne:

Based on you and your Dad's experience with EPA, Texas Environmental authorities, etc., back when you were trying to get a site for safe disposal of oil field waste, I would certainly place great emphasis on what you have to say about the safe/unsafe disposal of industrial or other type waste and how it might impact lakes, rivers, and other waterways.

That being said, right here on BRF we have a really good baseline for experience of what wading around, possibly ingesting, and other methods of exposure to the waters of Lake DePue for possibly a week or more once a year, for up to and in excess of 30 years for some of us. It would be very informative to hear what others have in the way of health problems from this type of exposure over the years.

I will start the poll by stating that I have no problems of a health nature that I would or could attribute to that type/time of exposure from 1968 thru 2004.
    I have had skin cancer problems since the age of 30, but that started prior to exposure to the waters of Lake DePue and was diagnosed as overexposure to the sun when I was a young child and into my early 20's. Another possible side effect is hearing loss, but that came from many other places, in addition to Lake DePue. I am also know by some as a PITA, but that was from birth, also no connection to Lake DePue.

If any other boat racers with that type of experience/length of time exposure to the waters of Lake DePue has any problems they can attribute to it, it would be interesting to hear. We do have a good number to survey (boat racers) plus any others such as DePue residents with lengthy exposure, to draw some information from.

ADD: It was always my understanding that the fill in of Lake DePue by silt, came from the flooding and other "backwash" problems associated with the Illinois river. It very well may be that the mine tailings contributed to this problem, but I have never heard that as a reason. Perhaps that was kept quiet to not ruin the perception of Lake DePue as a boat racers "nirvana". Long story short, whatever infirmities I have at age 73, I cannot and will not attribute to exposure of the waters in Lake DePue.

BoatRacingFacts VIP John Schubert T*A*R*T's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Depue

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Van Steenwyk View Post
    Wayne:

Based on you and your Dad's experience with EPA, Texas Environmental authorities, etc., back when you were trying to get a site for safe disposal of oil field waste, I would certainly place great emphasis on what you have to say about the safe/unsafe disposal of industrial or other type waste and how it might impact lakes, rivers, and other waterways.

That being said, right here on BRF we have a really good baseline for experience of what wading around, possibly ingesting, and other methods of exposure to the waters of Lake DePue for possibly a week or more once a year, for up to and in excess of 30 years for some of us. It would be very informative to hear what others have in the way of health problems from this type of exposure over the years.

I will start the poll by stating that I have no problems of a health nature that I would or could attribute to that type/time of exposure from 1968 thru 2004.
    I have had skin cancer problems since the age of 30, but that started prior to exposure to the waters of Lake DePue and was diagnosed as overexposure to the sun when I was a young child and into my early 20's. Another possible side effect is hearing loss, but that came from many other places, in addition to Lake DePue. I am also know by some as a PITA, but that was from birth, also no connection to Lake DePue.

If any other boat racers with that type of experience/length of time exposure to the waters of Lake DePue has any problems they can attribute to it, it would be interesting to hear. We do have a good number to survey (boat racers) plus any others such as DePue residents with lengthy exposure, to draw some information from.

ADD: It was always my understanding that the fill in of Lake DePue by silt, came from the flooding and other "backwash" problems associated with the Illinois river. It very well may be that the mine tailings contributed to this problem, but I have never heard that as a reason. Perhaps that was kept quiet to not ruin the perception of Lake DePue as a boat racers "nirvana". Long story short, whatever infirmities I have at age 73, I cannot and will not attribute to exposure of the waters in Lake DePue.
    Like Bill, I always heard it was from the back wash of the Illinois River. I raced on the Seine in Paris. Now this was a serious water issue. I believe that it was my 1st year there that 2 Mercury drivers got cut & were exposed to the raw sewage water of the Seine, one was Don Clark who cut a leg really bad, got infected. The other was the affable Don Preuitt. He also got cut, can't remember the details, & also got an infection.

Post Thanks / Like

A couple things here. Rather than waste time andeffort on Turbine Durbin and the congres critters serving now, go after the one you are going to elect who will get this job done.

Follow the money and you will find ties to those current in office wasting your tax dollars and if you think you can outspend Exxon, you're dreaming.

But your right bring out a soil cooker and start moving dirt, and you can cook the crap right out of the dirt. The other way is airation, pile the dirt and keep turning it until it evaporates....

We have done some of this work when we mitigate wetlands on a contaminated site. So, thats what yer dealing with
    Bill Schwab
    Dirty Deck Brewing
    Company

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know who told me about fill coming from the plant, but it's more logical what you and John said Bill Van. I only raced at DePue 4 times, and have no related health problems. My only injuries were temporary... a cracked rib from the blowover and burnt fingers when some lady was using a cigarette to make me turn loose the light pole so they could throw me in the Holiday Inn pool.

Skoontz....cattails are great for contaminated wetlands as you probably already know.

Post Thanks / Like

Wayne: there are a number of plants you can use to suck out the garbage. If it was fertilizer, you are most likely going to have a very high Anomia count, the biproduct from fertilizer that kicks plants in the tail. There will also be very heavy amounts of toxic organics.

When we were applying fertilzer to lawns as a cash flowing tool, you could add such high levels of amonia by over fertilization that a by product of salt is left in the water and land. This is some of the issue at Salton Sea, the water is trapped and goes no where. The salt content is 30% higher than the Pacific Ocean and, the result is thousands of dead fish and Pelicans who injest the water. It was amazing when we visited last March or so. There was this beautiful white sandy beach....Problem is, there was no sand, we walked on 3' of fish and Peilcan bones on the West shore.

I could see Depue heading into this state if something is not done.
    Bill Schwab
    Dirty Deck Brewing
    Company

Post Thanks / Like

Bill...I have never been there, but always thought Salton Sea salinity was a product of nature due to the elevation. I didn't think there were any agricultural projects around there that ran off into Salton Sea. If there are lots of bones stacked up, then there was lots of life before and something killed it. My first guess would be lack of oxynization.

I have no technical knowledge of this, but during permitting processes in the past century I learned that SAR (sodium absorption ratio) is a big deal with regard to plant life. In the oilfield we ran a lot of salinity tests figuring out parts per million chlorides. For many years I thought that chlorine was the grass killer, but I could not figure out why fertilizer had such large amounts of potassium chloride. I finally learned that the test for sodium was too complicated for field tests and oilfield brine was sodium chloride. The field tests for chloride were simple and quick and from that you could tell what the sodium amount was. In the 1980's a solution called calcium amendment was put on the market that could bring back salt contaminated land. For those not familiar......NaCl is sodium chloride and is table salt. KCl is salt lite and also used extensively in fertilizers. Anyway, the calcium amendment solution was like a bowling ball where the larger calcium molecules knock the sodium molecules off the chloride. I really don't understand this concept, but I have seen it work. Sorry to get off the subject of DePue, but the environmental cleanup issues interest me because more money goes to the lawyers than getting down and dirty and doing the cleanup. Nature will clean EVERYTHING on it's own time frame.....but you know how impatient we humans are. As a drinker from a water well, I appreciate the filtration capabilities of the earth.

Thread Information