Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Toxic Racing

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Lake Depue

Grew up in DePue after my Dad died. Mom would tell us all kinds of stories about the lake and the fun she had when a youngster. We grew up on and in the Lake as kids.

The Lake is actually just that a Lake. It does have a passage out to the Illinois River, but was not considered a back water of the river as some might think of it now. It is spring fed, and when you think about this, you might have been in the water and felt a cold circulation of water come by. This would have been a sping that might have been uncovered during the week of activities at the lake.

Bud used to come to DePue and pull ice chunks out of the lake for that yellow stuff, no, not the yellow snow!!! That is how pure the water once was from the Lake.

I remember as a kid, on Labor Day Weekend, the Chicago Outboard Club used to have races on that weekend. There was always an armada of boats just off the first turn, which came in from the Illinois River passage into the Lake.
    Now the lake only accessible from the river if the water is way up because of the silting in of the lake. We were always as kids able to access the river from the lake and now as I understand it, the kayaks were getting stuck last year at the mouth.

The issues for the lake are really the topsoil issues that flow into the lake and then the back up of all the water from the river during flooding which then lays down the silt when the water begins to recede. This was really enchanced when the Creek at the east end of the lake began to flow into the lake dropping thousands of pounds of top soil into the lake.

The pollution problems have been identified as the tailings of the heavy metal and have been in the water, but even heavier in the silt at the bottom of the lake. This is dangerous to the community and to the use of the lake. It is an absolute shame that this continues from the days of the Lake Depue Preservation Association efforts with the Mayor Don Bosnich's Dad as the leader. His group brought great identity to the lake and the clean up. Now with Steve Solario/Eric Bryant and the Men's Club carrying the torch, hopefull something can be done.

I rememer Bobby Viera from Oakland, Ca coming in after dumping a hydro and when he pulled his helmet off, the whole side of his face was mud, with the inside of the helmet full of the muck. Alan Ishii went upside down on the backstrech thowing up a mud tail the whole way.

We need to do everything we can to contact the EPA and our elected officials to get this moving. What a disaster for the people of DePue if this is not cleaned up, never mind the boatracing.

Ray

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Thanks Ray for the info

I am in complete agreement with you and others that whatever can be done, should be done to clean up Lake DePue. Like all things political in Illinois, it seems it takes forever to get someones attention about this problem, and will probably take even longer given the poor state of the economy and especially the State of Illinois financial situation, even though the Feds (EPA) will probably bear the majority of the cost. I believe I have read that this is a Superfund site, although many others across the country are also, and that does not seem to hurry up the work in a lot of cases, in fact exactly the opposite because of the politics involved.

The reason for my skepticism is the amount of work/time spent (politically) that went into just getting the Lake dredged in the late 70's/early 80's to increase it back to racing depth, and consequently the time the boat racing community was without one of the favorite places to race in the US. I can just imagine what will be required with the EPA and any state environmental agency's involved as far as time to mitigate the problems that exist there now. And just so there is no mistake about my comments about the length of time the Lake would probably be "out of service" for boat racing or other recreational activities, the safety of the citizens of DePue and future generations demand something be done, sooner rather than later. Daley (Father and Son) have probably wasted 10 times more money in Chicago the last 30 yearsthan it would have taken to do the job right. The destruction of Meigs field on the lakefront in the wee hours of the morning a few years ago is a perfect example of the problems with politics that eminate from the Windy City. That makes all the work done by Don Bosnich, the Lake Preservation Society, and now the Men's Club members all that more impressive given the hoops they have had to jump thru just to get attention given to the problem, much less some remedial action.

Whatever the solution to the problems there, correction will probably eliminate DePue as a Boat Racing destination for some time because of the work on the lake property that will be required, but the health of its citizens comes before that consideration.

Just in case of anyone misunderstanding my earlier post, I was not making light of the problems with the Lake, only stating what my personal experience over a goodly period of time healthwise had been, regards my own exposure to the water of Lake DePue. As previously stated I would be interested in hearing of any ill effects on boat racers that could be laid to exposure to the water there. I have not heard of any, and in the litigious society we live in today you would think there would be some publicity if it had occurred. Other than some injuries from the racing itself, and an incident at a pig roast years ago (no fault of the lake unless the water was contaminated with alcohol and it was ingested thru the skin), the record does not seem to indicate much that I am aware of. If anyone has knowledge of something this would seem to be a good place and time to make it known to our racing community.

Post Thanks / Like

Bill,

Are you suggesting Illinois politics is corrupt?

Just remember this, Ray, Skoontz and I didn't vote for any of those crooks!

For those of you who are not familiar whith Illinois politics, (if that's possible), you may want to read Paul Christner's post on this forum posted earlier today re: "Christmas Treason".

Paul also is from Illinois and knows how crooked our state government is.

One needs only to look at Washington and see how many of our fearless leaders got their political start in Illinois to understand how the NATION got so screwed-up.

I probably should move my *** back to Missouri where we found great Americans like Truman, Pershing, Disney, and Mark Twain.

For you Illinoisians who tout Lincoln,

HE WAS FROM KENTUCKY!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gene East View Post
    Bill,

Are you suggesting Illinois politics is corrupt?

Just remember this, Ray, Skoontz and I didn't vote for any of those crooks!

For those of you who are not familiar whith Illinois politics, (if that's possible), you may want to read Paul Christner's post on this forum posted earlier today re: "Christmas Treason".

Paul also is from Illinois and knows how crooked our state government is.

One needs only to look at Washington and see how many of our fearless leaders got their political start in Illinois to understand how the NATION got so screwed-up.

I probably should move my *** back to Missouri where we found great Americans like Truman, Pershing, Disney, and Mark Twain.

For you Illinoisians who tout Lincoln,

HE WAS FROM KENTUCKY!!!
    Hey Gene - Missouri is no better. Don't forget we elected a dead guy to the US Senate over on this side of the river a few years back (On November 7, 2000, voters in Missouri elected Mel Carnahan to the U.S. Senate. The unusual part of this is that he died in October in a plane crash). Of course we let dead people vote over here too. So I guess it is just logic: dead Democrats will vote for a dead Democrat.

But back to Lake Depue. I have never had any personal problems with the quality of the water or from the mud. But I do know it is a serious problem. A total cleaning the lake is probably cost prohibitive while dredging to race depth, while not saving the lake can keep the site as a race venue.

This past year I was towed the length of the front straightaway and two people sat in the front of the pickup boat and knocked the Asian Carp away with tennis rackets. They must of knocked 30 - 40 out of the air, and some of these were really, really big fish! I don't want to have one slam into my head at 90 mph. The carp problem needs to be dealt with immediately.

Post Thanks / Like

"Bill,

Are you suggesting Illinois politics is corrupt?"

Well my friend...When I lived in Chi town, South and North sides, when you needed something done on your street, trash can replacement, pot hole, maybe street light out?

And you called....The first thing they did was look at your voting record in the primaries. If you had a D next to your name, they would send 10 trucks down with 30 guys the bnext day for any of those chores. If however, you had an R next to your name, it would take months.

KT's mom and grandma were walking home from the store when her mom was about 10. The fat slob with a lassie turd fired up and hanging from his yap yelled out "hey you Marossy, next you vote it better be Fing Democrat...."

Her mom walks over to this guy ( now mind you, she was in a bunker in 1945, and later kissed George Patton on the cheek for liberating them) and tells this guy she would vote for whoever the hell she pleased, she was an American now.

Needless to say, they never were able to get a single thing done on their house or street until after they sold it....

No, Illinois politics aren't corrupt...Walker, Ryan, Blagoiavich, Rostenkowski, Reynolds, only a few of recent years who have spent time in the slammer....

Anyhow, time to take KT to the bait shop for dinner. Did not want to jack the thread. Just wanted to add insight toward what those directly and indirectly are up against.
    Bill Schwab
    Dirty Deck Brewing
    Company

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

You nailed it Skoontz. People need to really pay attention now because "Pay to Play" as Blago testifies is the "Chicago Way". Beyond that is the hard stuff. The hard knuckles and baseball bats stuff. Raum Emmanuel is pulling all the punches now. He's pulling all the stops to get the recalcitrunt Dems on board to pass nationalized health care. They have the votes. If it was so good....then why didn't they vote already. The latest is that Ben Nelson is threatened with taking out the No. 1 SAC base if he doesn't go along. This is Chicago politics. He not only threatens Senator Nelson with removing a multimillion dollar per year airbase,, but callously disregards the importance of that base to our national security. I was outraged when I heard that. The White House denies it. But............isn't that the way Chicago politics works?

Post Thanks / Like

Just like everything else in politics, some of it is bluffing and show.

"Here, I'll give you an excuse you can take home to the folks. Tell them we threatened you and they will believe it."
    Since 1925, about 150 different racing outboards have been made.

Post Thanks / Like

Default The song remains the same !

Shortly after the Nationals last year , an informational meeting was set up by all the parties involved in the clean-up of the entire superfund site , not just Lake DePue. It was not what the people were expecting. There were no REAL answers given. The two representatives from the owners of the property , EXXON-Mobil and Viacom , seemed annoyed with the fact that had to be there in the first place. They spoke very little and when they did , nothing was said!!
    The one thing that came from this " meeting " was that whatever is done , the lake is the last problem that will be addressed. One of the studies presented , showed a timeline of what was to be done and when it would be completed , the lake was last on that list. The gentlemen stated that the plan calls for all the sources of the contamination to be cleaned up so when the final phase , the lake clean-up , is started and completed, no more contaminates can enter the lake. But just what the end result of Lake DePue is , was never really addressed. Not one of the people there would say what will be done with the lake. They will " STUDY " all the optionals and do what was best. One of those optional is do nothing with the lake. The Illinois EPA representative , Mr. Lange , told a large group gathered around him that to do nothing is not an option to him and he would make sure that does not happen. His statement was that in two or three years the people of DePue will be complaining to him about the sound and smell of diesel engines involved in the clean-up rather than complaining about the lake itself. All the people there assured him that will not be the case.
    I thing it is safe to assume that boat racing will leave Lake DePue again for awhile until the problem is solved. Lets hope it returns.

Post Thanks / Like

Default My Fear: EPA

EPA Control Over Water
    I was listening to the BEST of Mark Levin and heard about the EPA's "NEW" rules... As Marks says, First it is air, then water, our bodies are next."

The EPA is the ones that banned DDT, DDT has saved.....well read about DDT on Performance Boat Magazine.

QUOTE: the EPA: A PowerPoint presentation on the November 2009 Rule Amendments is now available.
    Presentation: SPCC Rule Amendments: November 5, 2009, 74 FR 58783 (PPT) (63 pp, 2.4MB)

EPA Announces Final Amendments to the Oil Spill Prevention, Control, and Countermeasure (SPCC) Rule
    On November 5, 2009, the EPA Administrator signed a notice amending certain requirements of the Spill Prevention, Control, and Countermeasure (SPCC) rule in order to address additional areas of regulatory reform that have been raised by the regulated community. The November 2009 amendments revise the December 2008 amendments as a result of EPA's review of comments and consideration of all relevant facts. EPA is either taking no action or providing minor technical corrections on the majority of the December 2008 provisions. However, this action modifies the December 2008 rule by removing the provisions to: exclude farms and oil production facilities from the loading/unloading rack requirements; exempt produced water containers at an oil production facility; and provide alternative qualified facilities eligibility criteria for an oil production facility.

Additionally, because of the uncertainty surrounding the final amendments to the December 5, 2008, rule and the delay of the effective date, EPA will propose to extend the compliance date.

This rule is effective January 14, 2010.

Regulation: Oil Pollution Prevention; Spill Prevention, Control, and Countermeasure Rule - Final Amendments

The way I read this is the EPA NOW has control of all water in the USA. If everyone starts talking about Lake DePue being polluted, the EPA may ban outboard two strokes from the lake.

From what I've seen at DePue, what the lake needs is more boat going around, more often and send that top soil run off down the Illinois River....Need some Jet Boat racing to blow the stuff out of the lake...

I'd say stay under the radar and hope the EPA never knows there is a Lake DePue!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Already in charge

Sorry Ron but the EPA is already a major player in the clean-up and they have been since the start. The problem is they are one of probably 10 different groups that have a say so in the superfund site plan.

Thread Information