Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to set up a new J/A Mercury

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Sam,

You stated, "A white spark plug generally means too lean, which would be very uncommon on the bottom cylinder of a Merc twin." I AGREE WITH YOU 100% AND THAT IS WHY I AM PUZZELED ALSO. I checked the timing and the points are set 180 degrees apart!!! I think I will swap plugs and see what happens.

There is much to teach since none of them have ever seen a boat race. With six a good pit routine is a must so we will rehearse that scenario to become comfortable and efficient with the process.

Bob

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Possible problem with the lean running condition of the lower cylinder may be a bad lower seal thus less fuel draw and a lean running condition. The motor did not have what I would call full strong torque at the slower speeds and did run on two cylinders but with low power and you had to nurse the motor to get the top speed. Thus one cylinder was probably normally calibarated the other very lean and little power output.

No telling how long the motor had been dry and the seal may be shot. Need to replace it.

Smiley

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Much progress

Much progress has been made. Two of the six kids said they will race at Silver Lake, Everett, Wa this weekend. June 5. One in J the other in AXH with an OMC. The other four are not as far along in the training due to school and other conflicts. Once school is out we plan to "practice two times per week. Hopefully by mid season they will all be on the water.

Last weekend I reaced AXH with the new Stillwill blueprinted Merc at Newport, OR on the Willamette River. Interesting experience. As you said after two gallons of fuel I put this motor on the hydro with recommended prop and 1/8 inch tuck and 1 1/2 inch depth and first heat the gps pegged 51.1 on a river. Take 2-3 mph away and you get 49 .1/48.1 mph for the first test. Not too shabby for the first time. Should get more speed with less tuck and min height setting. Of course I still can't corner for beans but it is fun to pass some boats on the straights. George told me to run four gallons of fuel through it before I plug the thermostat. I assume this is to provide a good breakin and seal before adding heat to the formula.

What speed increase can one expect in ASH for plugging the thermostat on the port side? What is the theory behind that modification? What speed increase does 1/8th in height difference makes?

This sport is a kick in the pants.

Smiley

Thread Information