I made the trip to Lakeland, and other locations for the late winter and spring races in Florida, from 1970 until they drained Lake Hollingworth in Lakeland and racing ceased there for several years, altogether some 30+ years of the ride from Missouri to Florida to either race myself or watch and get some sun, although there were many cold blow outs during that time in the months of Feb/March also. Because of Eileens job as a Flight Attendant, and the passes, we were able to go a lot even when we did not go to race ourselves.

We always felt if you got too disappointed if you didn't get to race, you should probably stay home, as it was always somewhat uncertain weather wise at that time of year. If you didn't get to race, at least it broke up the cold winter and you got to see your Florida friends for a while, before they made the trek north for the summer races in the Midwest and other places when it was too hot to race in Florida. When Phil and Jeanie Howard and Eileen and I were going together in the late 70's and 80's before he retired from driving, we usually tried to make two races on consecutive weekends, just in case of a "blowout" one place or another.

During all those years, I heard it called BOTH the Grapefruit and Citrus Circuit, and one just as much as another, so sounds like everybody is right on this one. Just like you had several different words or descriptions for that good engine when it went "blooey", there were several different names or titles for the series or circuits/races in Florida in the springtime.

We all had fun, whatever it was called. Too bad so many of the great race sites in Florida have been lost for various reasons.