Quote Originally Posted by Master Oil Racing Team View Post
Joe...Flo was Eleanora! Dieter was not tall and She was shorter than Dieter. I didn't know her real name for many years. I was introduced to her as Flo, but I am not exactly sure of the spelling. It always sounded like Flo, but her nickname and what she went by according to Dieter is "flea" in German. Dieter took me to a "flea market" in Berlin beneath an elevated roadway and he told me that his wifes's nickname meant "flea". I don't know for sure the name in German of a flea. But Dieter told me that that's where the name Flo oringinated...the nickname flea.
Wayne, that clears it up. She was small (Peter is not so short, Marion is shorter.), 'Flohmarkt' means 'flea market'. She looks pretty nice. You probably know that 'König' means 'King'. There are a lot of Königs here (no relation to Dieter is likely) from the NE German migration to Tx. in the 19th century. Some of them still speak German, a lawyer here in Houston e.g. However, they mispronounce their name as 'Kehnig' in Tx. 'Kehnig' probably came from the Texans, who couldn't and (even if they could wouldn't) pronounce 'ö'. Just as Pennsylvania Germans were and are called 'Dutch' because 'the English' (that's what the Amish STILL call us) can't pronounce 'Deutsch'. Joe