I agree with Joe on porting not making as much difference as I'd hoped, My 1st attempt was to square the tops of all the ports & I raised the exhaust a little. I re ran the re-asemble as it was before & it was slightly faster, alot louder & pretty darn thirsty. I figured the intakes were good as were so the next one I did about the same to the exhaust only & thats a little better yet but by no means great. The tuner that you saw curved is mostly to fit but also is in a shortened tower. I did a little sheetmetal work to protect the waterpump in that too. I got lucky & found a 2nd effort head on a motor I traded some junque for. The catch is this motor was so badly blown its surprising it got that bad w/o stopping lomg before. [musta been wail-n hot]. Gotta wonder if the head was a contribting factor for some reason like timing or jetting.
Good & bad news.. On a reed experiment I foung a motor to run significantly faster till a reed failed & that is probably the best reason to used composite reeds. I tried Boyesen 2 stage & decided to take them out before I broke em. No great improvement noticed. I have a single stage set from Carlson to try but haven't yet. Reeds are where some potential is & Ive been thinking about how to v reed one for some time as this would decrease crank case volume as well as flow better.