High guys
Now im thinking about putting in new sleeves on a omc 1995/6 block. its the later block with the 920cc capacity !!!!!.
first of all need to get the old ones out and then see about getting new ones back in.
Now ive never done this to an outboard engine before so this is going to be completely new to me,
I have done the wet sleeves on the big diesels and also sleeves on tiny little glow motors, but an outboard 2 stroke never.
Now regarding getting the old sleeves out !!!!
do I need to heat the block or just press out the old ones ?
when replacing the new sleeves again is heat needed or not, and are the sleeves notched in any way so as to get a perfect alignment ?

Also, would it be better to polish the ports on the sleeves while I have them out to get a better finnish on them ? or wait till back in the block.

once sleeves are out I will be polishing the passageways of the block to get rid of any imperfections and smooth everything off nicely.

The reason behind the re-sleeve idea is that the grooves in the walls of the bore at the moment look a bit too deep for just a re-bore.
These grooves are real ugly and not many machine shops want to touch outboards where I live.
Most of the engineers have disappeared altogether in the uk nowdays, very rare to find a good engine rebuilder for sensible money.

Now if I can re-sleeve then the block will be as good as new, the sufaces are nice and true and I will get it xrayed just to be on the safe side.

any thoughts on this ?