Quote Originally Posted by Master Oil Racing Team View Post
Hey Mr. Pete.....it happens to us all. That was a long time ago, and I can see where someone "new to the scene" around legends like Bill Muncey and Chip Hanauer and Fran Muncey can kind of blend things together over time. I'm liking the stories you are telling and don't want you to quit, and I am guessing all the others are waiting to hear more as well.

Saw Bill Muncey in person at Dayton, Ohio in 1977 when the Unlimited and UIM OD (outbard) hydros traded heats during a day and a half program. During testing Chip Hanauer came down and sat in our pits to watch what we were doing. I was in the water working on stuff and wanted to go meet him, but I was too shy.

Four of us guys from South Texas went to Acapulco for an exhibition race the year before Muncey was killed. The course we raced on was smaller, and was about half a mile south of where Muncey blew over. All those waterways were connected. The Pacific Ocean was just west of the road where the lakes were. You could see it. The road to the pits separated the Pacific from where the race courses were, so we were all racing at sea level. Then why did our outboard motors not run well? Charlie Blackwood and Artie Lund from San Antonio were running D Quincy loopers, and Steve Jones and I were both running D Konigs. I was the only one that had CD ignition. No one could keep their engines lit during testing. We hall had to downgrade prop pitch significantly to keep the revs up and the engines from fouling. My motor was the only one not to have trouble fouling. Do not know why to this day what the problem was, but it affected all of us. I have since wondered if atmospheric conditions at sea level closer to the equator might have had some aerodynamic affect on Muncey's boat where it responded differently.

Please Mr. Pete, keep up with your stories. You were in places to tell us some interesting inside stories.
From what I have heard from NHRA fuel guys, "Air conditions is everything"........ I wonder if the salt in the air caused something to tweak the fuel burn? Have you raced near salt air before?