Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Need the facts (From the OMC xperts)

Threaded View

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Gohr View Post
    There was test reports back them for that boat, probably with a 115 merc on it as shown in the pic. Just do a comparison of that with the 135 on it...

, the gearcase will hold you back, it wasn't designed for speed, very blunt in the front. Normally, I wouldn't tell you to put a nosecone on it till you were over 75mph, but on that old case I would do it anyway, no need to change it, just reshape it.... The post 79' gearcases were much better and I have run them close to 80 with out a cone but that was pushing it. The 135 should get you into the high 60's or 70's, it has a taller gear ratio than the later V4's, find yourself a 14X22 Chopper and have it rehubbed and go from there.
    Don't be afraid to spin it over 6K we ran them there all the time.
    --Yes, the reason I am looking at the gearcase first is because of others (and you) mentioning this fact in other threads...
    --- Ive contacted Ranger, they said they have no further info, other than that picture.
    --Ok, this is good info. I havent looked into the particulars of nosecones, is there a certain type I should look for?
    I was also considering the Boyeson Reeds.
    What octane gas should I be using, and what spark plugs do you recommend?
    (Im not using those 73 heads, I just bought them for 'provisional' purposes in case I want to get deeper into modifying this)

The prop I was considering was a 13 1/4 x 24 "Raker", but Im going to follow your advice on the Chopper 14x22... I didnt realize I could divert from the 13 1/4 dimension.
    Last edited by Charles Salsman; 02-10-2007 at 09:31 PM. Reason: Part of my reply was mixed in with the quoted text

Thread Information