Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Jack Leek: Boat Racer Passes On

Threaded View

Post Thanks / Like

Default Jack Leek: Boat Racer Passes On

I just got an E-Mail that said, "Jack Leek passed way at his home in Tacoma, on Thursday."

I'll admit, that Jack and I yelled at each many times over the years.....but we weren't ever mad at each other, we just had a different idea of how we were going to reach our goal of beating Mercury....

After Jack broke the A Hydro record, in 1952, of 61 MPH, his name always brought a short silence of "RESPECT" in my dad's house....61 MPH was an unheard of speed, even in C Hydro in those days...

Jimbo and I talked to Jack about six months ago, he was in great spirits...Jack was always "Up Beat" even when everything had turned to S&^T, which in the early days of OMC racing, happened often.......There was always tomorrow for Jack.

I called Jack about three months ago, and asked about the four point hydros he designed and Wilbur McDonald built...Jack drew me cool little plans and sent them to me.. I really wanted to see him this summer...I planned to look him up after the Stock Outboard Nationals at Moses Lake, Washington.

I know passing is part of life, but seems to me Jack will always be with me in spirit... He was a Boat Racer first, corporate businessman, Race Director, second... He was a great story teller, always seemed to like, me, Jimbo, Ted May, Barry Woods, John Sanders, John Schubert, Tommy Posey... Freddy Hauenstein...He always treated us with respect, that a father would give his sons (s)...

God speed, Jack.....Now maybe, we can tell some stories about rental cars or.....

Pictures are from December 1955, Speed and Spray. APBA Nationals, Jack was third... Seems, this may be the only picture I have of Jack...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Ron Hill; 03-11-2007 at 10:35 AM.

Thread Information