Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: "Name That Outboard"

Threaded View

John (Taylor) Gabrowski

Default Tom Tall, I doubt its a class A.

Tom Tall:

Mark Suter has a description problem. He might have it described as a Class A Alky but the problem is that the block has the class B number of head bolts and bolt pattern (class A Harrisons used 6 bolt heads where class B Harrisons use 10 bolt heads). The Harrison B block I am restoring has the same number of bolt/stud holes at the head as his does, 10 bolts. In fact his ignition coil pack of 2 also sits on the same cast holder as the class B Harrison. Class A Harrisons as well as class A Anzanis used only a 6 head bolt/stud pattern and from the study I made are interchangeable.

It could be that Mark Suters's Harrison is a sleeved down bore to class A (15 cubic inch) class B Alky block. Only taking off the head and measuring the bore will verify the displacement. Harrison already knew from what they knew about class A and B Anzanis using a 6 head bolt / stud pattern that for class A the 6 bolt/stud pattern would do but as 6 bolts for class Bs the Anzanis heads leaked without special work needed be done to minimize leakage so on the Harrison class B engines they, Harrison added 2 more head bolt/studs per cylinder (10 in total) to surround each cylinder just like that of a Quincy Flathead 2 cylinder A or B to eliminate the head to block leakage possibilities from happening and that did the trick for the class B Harrisons quite well.

One other point is that I have had some information from others that Harrison class As didn't come with 3 carbs like Mark Suters, only 2 at most.

This why I believe Mark Suter's Harrison is not a class A but a class B Alky. It sure does not take anything from its collectors value as a class B as with a class B like that Harrison set some amazing competition records. Some one might have sold it to him as an A but sometimes when these engines come up for sale the seller might not know anything about them clearly as a result I think he got a more valuable collector engine as a result, maybe?
    Last edited by John (Taylor) Gabrowski; 11-09-2008 at 06:53 PM. Reason: additions

Thread Information