An Idea to re-ask, Ive been thinking about putting a 2 barrel carb on a '70s 31.8ci OMC twin. Ive been given some good ideas so am in progress. Ive got a 2 barrel from a 4 cyl OMC. that used 2 carbs. The throats at the rear are 1 3/8", same as a stock single for the 31.8ci motor. The venturi sizes are very close between the carbs, the 2 barrel appears to be equal side to side.
The single barrel stock carb feeds a common intake that both reed sets draw from so in effect the carb singularly feeds each cyl. Every charge to each cyl is from the full bore of the single barrel drawn back & forth thru the reeds.
If the above is correct, I theorize that if I separate the intake plenum so the each barrel feeds 1 cyl Ill essentially [short of working out bugs] have the same thing. If so then the performance.. where would be the gain? Im thinking the smaller more direct intake per cyl might cause an increase in velocity [this is a crossflow] and therefore send a better atomized, possibly slightly larger charge in. The carb would be drawing from each feed tube 1/2 as many times per barrel as the single barrel so might be more capable at top end. Im wondering if in alternate operation the feed jets would cause a siphoning effect on each other but doubt it because the air vent should cover that.
Worse case it doesnt work & I cut up a spare intake & sunk a bunch of time.
Im ready now...Point-n-Laff, Ask why!?, make remarks,or add wisdom Rest assured Im enjoying try-n it & theres more to the story than just stickin this on any motor. Thanks