Quote Originally Posted by Master Oil Racing Team View Post
Here are some pics of Uli (that's him isn't it Steve?) working on the new style crankshaft. It made all the difference in the world. For one, it was much simpler to rebuild an engine without having to spend so much time spacing the crank and centering up the rods. Most importantly it's greater longevity meant the powerful motors would last a lot longer and win more races.
Yes that is Uli, One of the best crankshaft men in the biz. What a great man. I have been out racing the past couple weeks and now just getting caught up with this thread. many memories that have been brought back. First story about Dieter from Ralph is what Dieter told me back in 86 or 87 when i asked him about the History of his factory. I first meet dieter in about 1971 or 2 at Walt Blankenstiens shop in Lakeland fl. It was just casual as I was just 19/ 20 at the time. i too found this man from germany to be very polite to me as he knew i ran flatheads at the time. second time i meet him was when I worked for Walt. That was around 74/75. I was involved with Drag cars at this time but my first love of boat racing still burned inside. In about 1980 Ralph and Bill Hosler convinced me that i should attend the make up nationals in Lakeland. it wasnt long before a boat followed me home. ( Thanks Ralph) Later , we were at Lakland in the spring and Konig was there as well. That was the first real conversation I had with Dieter and also he had a chance to see me work and solve racing problems. At the end of the day Konig asked me to help put a A hydro with motor on top of a truck. I said ok and for him to take the front I will take the back. he said to me it was impossible for me to lift a boat with motor over my head and I said to him to just watch. he grab the front and i the back and I beched pressed this rig to the roof. after we were done Konig said to me that I was Hurculan. The next spring Ralph and I was at a race In Leesburg sharing patrol boat duties. i had made a comment about learning about 4 cylinder motors and more at the Konig factory. Ralphs response to me was "All you have to do is go there". I did not make enough money at the time to do this and expressed this to Ralph and that is were it was left. Several weeks later I learned that I with Ralph was going to the Factory. ( Thanks Ralph, Can't say this enough) When we walked into Konig Factory Dieter looked up at me, ( I'm 6'4') and then said to Ralph, " Ralph! You finally bring to me the right mechanic! This was how this man was. I will write more but Mrs say's grits are ready. Steve