Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Name this fule

Post Thanks / Like

Default good question

Quote Originally Posted by bill boyes
    Are you planning to race your boat this year?
    Bill, I would love to .

My bigest problem is the lack of time i get to work on it !

I work 11hour days usaly 6 days a week and most weekends . My two oldest kids are back from college this summer and I seem to be working on their CARS mor than my race boat.

Plaining deck stringers right now. will it be done this year ????

I was thinking of geting the old flat deck DeSilva out and do some patch work on it and go have some fun but ????
    Jeff 93-C

Post Thanks / Like

This is a G-rated, family-friendly site; please don't post that kind of obscene photo in the future.

Seriously, I have opened up carbs full of that "cottage cheese" which had never been near salt water, the most recent being a generator motor that lives inside my Dad's garage and never gets run. Old gasoline does that sometimes when it sits long enough, it seems.

Post Thanks / Like

Default looks like trip to .........

Saw this scenario many , many times during my Kodiak "adventure" .
    A combination of wanting to get "out of Dodge" and not getting the boat far enough above the high tide line for winter storage or ..... throwing it in the front yard with a tarp over it . Took a brand new ( untouched by human hands ) 100 hp commercial OMC out of the box and found the only useable components on the motor were the ignition and the lower unit.... well the leg and the housing were sort of OK along with the lower pan and the cowling . It had been in an unheated cannery loft for 2 years . In Kodiak the temperature changes are brutal on equipment . The average winter to spring thing is 10 weeks of sub-zero and , "presto chango" , it's 40 degrees and 100% humidity . When I say "presto chango" , it's no joke . Seen it happen in less than an hour ! The other thing you get there is "salt fog" . Saw days when visability was 300' feet at sea level but get up 200' or so and it's clear and sunny with 90-110 mph "breeze".
    The "fog" is churned up salt water . I estimate the average age of cars on the road to be 6-8 years before they literally fall apart . ( Really , One guy up there bought a California "T" roadster for his son's Chistmas present . It was beautiful , show quality . Had it shipped up in a container . It lasted a year and a half before the motor fell out of it in the highschool parking lot )
    When I ran into carbs that looked like that , if I had to save them ,
    ( Yamahas and Suzukis ) I'd soak them in hot water with 50% aluminum cleaner . Carb cleaner won't touch that white gunk cause it's water based .
    They'd be black as black can be when they came out and if you let them dry on the heater and didn't touch them till they were dry , after re-assembly , you could clearcoat them and they looked cool as heck . The main thing was , they worked . The alternative was $400+ apiece replacement cost . Some of my customers really liked me .
    Will

Thread Information