Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Thread: shallow sponsoned kneeldown/laydown tunnel boat

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default SamIam

Quote Originally Posted by Mark75H
    No, the no tunnels rule is relatively recent. It keeps out consistant running 45SST's and makes overlap/turn judgements easier. There is no real reason for it except politics.
    It is a recent rule 'bout 12yrs ago or more , but as i 'veheard from some they'll never stand fer it.
    Glad i ain't no older'ni am.!!!
    What is a hydroplane? 2 points front 1Point back simple, isn't it called 3point early 60s apba said same , i suggest that if one was really int. in rules, read book.
    Oh by the way what is 4 point, not allowed ? me thinks? could be corrected though.

Hey , i need some support here on rules and regs.
    Honesty, is formost, so full circle., S, Man
    Last edited by RichardKCMo; 12-30-2005 at 11:57 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default 4 Point Hydro

Quote Originally Posted by RichardKCMo
    It is a recent rule 'bout 12yrs ago or more , but as i 'veheard from some they'll never stand fer it.
    Glad i ain't no older'ni am.!!!
    What is a hydroplane? 2 points front 1Point back simple, isn't it called 3point early 60s apba said same , i suggest that if one was really int. in rules, read book.
    Oh by the way what is 4 point, not allowed ? me thinks? could be corrected though.

Hey , i need some support here on rules and regs.
    Honesty, is formost, so full circle., S, Man
    We have 2 or 3 four pt. hydros running in the USTS races. The're a legal pro. category hydro and I guess always have been. I hear they are a little tricky to set up but they are competitive. I may find out this summer.

I can't recall the name of the owner of the six you're talking about[CRS]. I met him at Alex. 3 yrs ago. My friends the Snell bros. work with him. They tell me it runs real well. I think the lad that drives it took a bath at Alex. a couple of years ago.

As far as rules and reg. we settle all that at the annual APBA mtg.and then run with what the book says. If we don't like it we try to change it next year. Simple as that.

Bruce Summers
    V-71

Post Thanks / Like

CRS= Chris and Ron Shurilla

Post Thanks / Like

I think they are talking about Cleaburn Phelp's boat and Dwayne Larrimore ... but Paul Fuschlin should not be left out as a winner with a 6 in current racing
    Since 1925, about 150 different racing outboards have been made.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Right Again Sam!

Quote Originally Posted by Mark75H
    I think they are talking about Cleaburn Phelp's boat and Dwayne Larrimore ... but Paul Fuschlin should not be left out as a winner with a 6 in current racing
    Yeh Sam thats the name I couldn't remenber. Seems like the memory bank isn't what it used to be.

Fuschlin's six is probably the finest running 6 [deflector] ever. At one time or another he has beat them all and has the hardware to prove it. Rich Fuschlin says that engine pulls more horsepower on the dyno than his looper 6. If my memory is right he said 159 verses 150. Paul or Rich correct me if this is wrong.

Jeff---
    That is one I hadn't thought of but you know why I couldn't remember them -
    CRS!

Bruce Summers
    V-71

Post Thanks / Like

Default Lucini boats - dual purpose design

You guys may be interested to learn that the Lucini boats built in Italy are used essentially in two classes - Formula 1000 (as raced by Erwin Zimmerman's son) and Formula 500 (Pro Hydro). The design of the hull lends itself to two classes, as the tunnel boat design is now popular in the Formula 500 class. Ok there are a few modifications - rear cowling, transom height and so on, but essentially it's the same boat.

The one thing I'm unsure of are the dimensions and if they are the same - I would guess that they are as the boats are composite and it's a lot of work to have two sets of moulds

The design of the Lucini hull goes back a number of years and I'm attaching some photos of boat that it now in the UK, but was raced by Danielle Roda of Italy. This was the begining of the Lucini boat design and was a 'one off' at the time, although you'll see that a number of the design features have found their way into today's boat designs here in Europe (Tiziano Trombetta nr 53 boat). Both Danielle and Tiziano were/are incredibly successful in their respective boats - they effectively cleared up in the classes, winning everything in sight!

Now a question for you guys - shortly before his untimely death, Gerry Drake imported a Fort trimaran boat (built in Russia) into the US. Sadly I don't think Gerry ever got to race it, but what ever happened to the boat - was it ever raced? Where is it now? There was some talk of Gerry's son racing it, but I don't know if this was just hearsay

If you guys ever get to see (or have seen) one of these Russian design of 'tunnel boats' I'm sure you'll find them fascinating. Lots and lots of design features that were emassed over many years behind the Iron Curtain. Okay the engineering was a little "argicultural" but the ideas.....wow! I can remember the first time the boats were seen outide of the then USSR (I think it was Berlin, Tegel). People were looking at them, scratching their heads, thinking what the hell is that and that they would never work. The smiles were on the the other sides of their faces, when the Russian's hit the water and you couldn't see them for dust (or should that be their roostertail!)

Corin
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

Gerry Drake's Fort boat was never raced in the States. It was sent back to Europe two years ago to be used in the F500 Series. The MRC Team in Berlin still has the boat but it's no longer usable in UIM due to the capsule certification. As far as I know Gerry's son (Charlie) raced 350 Hydro for a couple of seasons and then just stopped. I haven't seen or hear from him in years.

Post Thanks / Like

If I am not mistaken Gerry's boat was raced in the States. I believe that Neil LaRose raced it at the Worlds at Cyprus Gardens. He did not have any success with it. Seemed like he could not get it to break over on plane. Dont know if it was a set-up problem, motor problem or a situation of not having enough experience with driving one of those boats with all the kick-out and tilt levers they had. I also remember Charlie racing a few times after Gerrys death. I have heard that they may have moved back to South Africa. I would like to get ahold of them so if anyone has any contact info please let me know.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Shoe boat?

I kinda fancy the "Shoe Boat" myself

If UIM is the "Mother Ship" and these bpoats are legal UIM boats, and the APBA is affiliated, then why would a UIM class be and illegal APBA class?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chicagopaul
    If UIM is the "Mother Ship" and these boats are legal UIM boats, and the APBA is affiliated, then why would a UIM class be an illegal APBA class?
    Being a UIM affiliate does not require all classes to be 100% aligned with UIM rules .... it only requires world championships and records to conform to UIM rules.
    Since 1925, about 150 different racing outboards have been made.

Thread Information