Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Black Cat Racing Team.

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm sorry Ron, but I don't know her name. She was one of those Motorsport ladies I was told to keep my eye out for. Harry always wanted a cute girl in a story and I wish I could say she was bringing me that Shlitz beer. But........alas! She will have to announce herself here on BRF.

Post Thanks / Like

Default It Doesn't Matter...

For the era, she was VERY "HOT"...

How about this...Motorsport magazine of southwest motor competition, April 1973???

Who took the pictures and who wrote the story????
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

I'm guessing it was either H C Clyde or the editor Harry Echols who happen to be one in the same. When Harry started out, it was mostly him so he conjured up the name H C Clyde as a photographer who accompanied him to the events. That way it appeared he had several on his staff. He was very glad to have Joe and I come aboard, and I can say it was a great experience.

In that same issue was a motorcross race that Joe and I covered and I met this guy named Rusty Rae. He was I believe the Editor then of the American Motorcyle Association publication. We became great friends and he spent a lot of time with Tim Butts.

On the cover was A J Foyt's radical Coyote IV. It was more like a Formula 1 of the day than a typical Indy car.

Post Thanks / Like

Here is a photo I took at an OPC race just upstream from the race at Riverside Inn. It didn't make it in Motorsport, but there was kind of a funny story behind it.

I was in one of the pickup boats snapping pictures in the bottom turn. As the editor Harry requested, I always kept my eye out for girls that might make it onto the pages. As we were coming to the pits for a water break I spotted this girl and snapped the photo. Now, I didn't know any of the guys I was in the boat with and the driver never said anything or looked at me funny. When we got out of the boat, she came over to him and gave him a kiss and a hug.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Nice

I don't care that Ron will say she was "hot for the era" she is hot in todays era !!

Wayne and Ron certainly have a nack at spotting the girls and getting photos ! Makes all this history that much more enjoyable. Thanks guys.

Post Thanks / Like

Tim, this wasn't exactly the prize I was looking for, but I had forgotten about the incident with Jim and I never knew if you had heard about this so I decided to post it. Your Dad was also in this article running 2nd behind Darrel Beaulier.

Post Thanks / Like

I cannot believe I missed this thread !!!!!!!! This was back when I was first getting involved in the racing stuff. I'm gonna go thru my pics tonight to see if I have any left from back then. Unfortunately back in 86 when I left the Clear Lake area I left some stuff (including pics) in my mom's storage which she deemed was "trash" & threw it away without telling me

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Wayne. I wonder if that was when he almost got his arm cut off? I'll get mom to check it out and see if she remembers. All I remember about that crash was that the boat was green, dad never would run a green boat. The one time dad did it was Steve Kurtens (Laing Homes) boat overseas and he blew over and was hurt pretty bad.
    THIBODAUX RACING... Timmy Thibodaux

Post Thanks / Like

Tim, go to search and type in green boats or green racing or some combination and you will find a thread that discusses green as bad luck in racing and other bad luck symbols. It started with a green unlimited blowing over, but I can't recall the title. You might also try "peanuts". It was a pretty interesting and funny thread.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Forman's Boat

[QUOTE=tthibodaux;31602]This is off the wall I know but does anyone remember or have any picture of the Black Cat Racing Team? The drivers were Jim Foreman (my grandfather) and Bud Babbitt. I found one picture in an old scrap book but it's very old and didn't scan well. Don't know how much or if ever these guys won any races but the stories say they had a heck of a time. My mom told me the first race they went to they had a prop that was the wrong rotation and the boat would only go backwards. lol. Jim was also a boat builder (Super Carpenter Racing) was the name of the boats he built if that rings any bells. My dad won countless races in a Mod 50 boat Jim built. Anyway if anyone can help I would be greatful.

Tim,

Did Jim first start running Chrysler outboards, the 135HP?? If so, the thread "Southern Flying Start" shows some pictures I posted of a tunnel in third place. Looks like the boat he may have driven. Looks like a big guy and the type of helmet/face shield he used. Just not sure........Most of my pictures were distroyed in a flood.

Thread Information