Quote Originally Posted by Rick Connolly View Post
Here is a side by side comparison on the of the Kitson/Threlkeld and Schoonover/Massey red wings. Notice the only difference between the two visually is the three breaks at the tip of the white stripe on Jan's. When Jan got the red wing on loan from Mercury he picked out the red one because it was the lightest of the bunch. When I talked to Ernie Threlkeld he told me the red one he had was turned back to Mercury....could the red one in question possibly be the same wing in another life ??? Talking to both Kenny and Ernie the red wing they had was heavy and never ran that well.

The history of Ernie, Jan and Kenny breaking each others records in wings back and forth is interesting.
Back in 1968 or so, I went out to Mercury with the thought of getting a wing. I looked at the boats that were stored in a building and was offered a Red Metalflake hull. That may be the boat in the bottom picture. But, let me also say that there were at least a dozen others there and I can't recall all of them. I particularly liked an off white hull with a red metalflake design on the sides...but was told it was also "too heavy".

I wound up running the first 16' glass Eltro vee that year with twin 1250 BP's...... and never did drive a wing....... yet

T2x