Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jackie Wilson..

Hybrid View

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Jackie, I've looked through most of my pictures, and I haven't found a tunnel mixing it up with the inboards yet, but I can't find my good loupe and so I have a hard time seeing details. I'll find it and go over them again. Here is an excerpt from the July 1976 LE Soleil, and an article from Powerboat that gives you mention at the Valleyfield race. This is one of only two articles I sent in for publication, but had someone else write the story. Both were in 1976. Steve and Lee Hertz accompanied us as pit crew for myself and Tim Butts, and since Lee was the APBA Region 6 correspondent, I asked if he would write the story and I would take the pictures. He readily agreed. Lee knew most if not all the inboard racers, and probably many of the OPC guys. Consequently, I didn't get the results or even have a roster. I don't even remember much about the drivers meeting. Seems to me that I remember most of it being in French.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Master Oil Racing Team View Post
    Jackie, I've looked through most of my pictures, and I haven't found a tunnel mixing it up with the inboards yet, but I can't find my good loupe and so I have a hard time seeing details. I'll find it and go over them again. Here is an excerpt from the July 1976 LE Soleil, and an article from Powerboat that gives you mention at the Valleyfield race. This is one of only two articles I sent in for publication, but had someone else write the story. Both were in 1976. Steve and Lee Hertz accompanied us as pit crew for myself and Tim Butts, and since Lee was the APBA Region 6 correspondent, I asked if he would write the story and I would take the pictures. He readily agreed. Lee knew most if not all the inboard racers, and probably many of the OPC guys. Consequently, I didn't get the results or even have a roster. I don't even remember much about the drivers meeting. Seems to me that I remember most of it being in French.
    Like i said before-------they would not allow me to race with the outboard tunnels.

The only racing i did that day was 3 -----3 lap races with the GP boys and then the Molson Invitational. Must have done ok in that one -----got a big check-------lots of beer and a stack of Molson drinking vessels. Thing i remember most was the all night partying ----------the trip up the seaway to an out of the way restaurant by boat and coming back at 3 in the morning and joining all the other revellers for a very big breakfast and falling into bed around 7AM.

Can tell you 3 of the runners were Jo-Bonomi ??? Larry Lauderbach and Staudacher ----
    Larry gave a very emotional speech afterwards which had everyone crying in their beer.

Of all the places i raced in the world Valleyfield was the friendliest .

I once asked Louise Thompson why she didn't watch outboard racing-------she looked me straight in the eye and said "SIMPLE----------------THEY DON'T MAKE THE GROUND TREMBLE".

Post Thanks / Like

Do you have any shots of Dick O'Dea's Jones tunnel running at Valleyfield with his 7 liter/Mercruiser II?....possibly 1977? I believe Johnny Yale was running it and blew over running down the front stretch. He had never driven a tunnel before and the boat had a lope like nothing else I have ever seen...yet he kept his foot in it....... The hull must have been 25 feet in the air, spinning backwards as it passed the start-finish line in lap 2.

Rich....not Sam.....
    OBSOLETE AND PROUD OF IT

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Sorry, but I don't. My only trip to Valleyfield was for the John Ward race in 1976.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Sorry, but I don't. My only trip to Valleyfield was for the John Ward race in 1976.
    Was after reading about the JOHN WARD trophy i decided to do Valleyfield, specially as no englishman had ever done it, still think it was one of the best memories of my boating career and Chas [ my mechanic ] thinks so too .

Burgess/Evinrude F1 V8 Lars Strom's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi again Jackie...look at this picture..maybe Bristol??

How is Fiona Brothers doing today?? Did she ever win a ON race??
    Lars Strom

Life is good

Check my own racing history at BRF...http://www.boatracingfacts.com/forum...ead.php?t=6727

My racing web site SVERA.se....http://svera.se/blogg/paris-6-hours/

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Here's an article published in an Ozzie boat mag a few years ago about Jackies boat

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Powerabout View Post
    Here's an article published in an Ozzie boat mag a few years ago about Jackies boat
    Lasse, Only you could come up with a bunch of questions that will cause so much debate and controversy,---first things first.

Did Fiona Brothers ever win an ON race----------yes she did, but i cannot tell you how many and where they were !!!!!!!!!!
    Fiona was Mercury's number one publicity stunt, full works backing with Mercs European engineer Steve West as her Mechanic.

Sponsorship from MITSUBISHI----- and her dad was not exactly on the dole queue -------he just happened to have a little 'ole petroleum company, but was as tight as a ducks arse when it came to paying for stuff.

Fiona was podium material----------but like ALL females who get into motorised sports-not quite "Champion " stuff. [WE SHOULD HAVE SOME FUN REPLIES TO THAT STATEMENT]

She was hard to beat in her short career but finished in front of some of the best known drivers of the day-ie, John Hill, Jon Jones, Steve Kerton, Mark Wilson, Tony Williams, and a whole lot more.

She brought more publicity to the FONDA series than any other person, and was also a very likeable person.

She lives on the Isle of Wight with husband Keith and Her 2 sons.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Powerabout View Post
    Ray Bulman was the ONLY power boat reporter to earn his keep. Knew him and "MARGE" for many years-----didn't always agree with him----but he couldn't be bought and told it the way it was.

What he didn't know was the fact that i had Freddie Miles design and build the boat.
    I then bought and paid for the stern drive and the instrumentation , the rigging and fuel tanks.
    Bill supplied the motor.

It was a joint venture-all, went well until he managed to squeeze a very good sponsorship deal with "Carlsberg" ------then he wanted to fly solo. If you know me at all, you would realise i would not take this lying prone------------so in 2 weeks-------i bought a boat from Roger Hooks widow---bought a 2 litre Cosworth from Keith Duckworth and went to Amsterdam where i showed Bill how to drive a boat--------the rest is history.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lars Strom View Post
    Hi again Jackie...look at this picture..maybe Bristol??

How is Fiona Brothers doing today?? Did she ever win a ON race??
    That was Bristol 1978, number 10 was probably Bob Spalding with Percy at number 11, they both had identical Long John rigs.

Had the equipment and should have won Bristol-----but was a bit exuberant and overdid things.

Thread Information