Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: omc race v4

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default omc race v4

What was the difference between the evinrude strangler and super srtangler?

Post Thanks / Like

The Super Strangler had the 8 throat diaphragm carbs and the up/down mid section
    Since 1925, about 150 different racing outboards have been made.

Post Thanks / Like

2 totally different engines, the strangler, has 2 2bbl carbs, battery ignition, there were 2 or 3 different center sections, The super starngler, had CD ignition, better internal components, hydraulic up/down, 8bbl carb, a much better engine

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by calvin View Post
    What was the difference between the evinrude strangler and super srtangler?
    The above is correct, actually the first v4 race motor was the Johnson GT115/Evinrude X115 (model # GT10S) introduced in 67, then OMC spent 2 years prototyping before introducing the Stinger/SS (Model # KC13R), then a year of prototyping again before introducing the Stinger GP/Super Strangler (model KR15M).

Horsepower wasn't officially rated on any of these but the grapevine reports I had seen and heard were:
    • GT10S-116
    • KC13R-128
    • KR15M-155

-at the crank.

KR15M had forged cranks and pistons and added rollers to the bearings which really added durability. GTs and KCs had a lot of issues with cast cranks and heavy cast pistons with snap ring clips and ring dowels that would work their way out.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Omc v4 race engines

Quote Originally Posted by brichter View Post
    The above is correct, actually the first v4 race motor was the Johnson GT115/Evinrude X115 (model # GT10S) introduced in 67, then OMC spent 2 years prototyping before introducing the Stinger/SS (Model # KC13R), then a year of prototyping again before introducing the Stinger GP/Super Strangler (model KR15M).

Horsepower wasn't officially rated on any of these but the grapevine reports I had seen and heard were:
    • GT10S-116
    • KC13R-128
    • KR15M-155

-at the crank.

KR15M had forged cranks and pistons and added rollers to the bearings which really added durability. GTs and KCs had a lot of issues with cast cranks and heavy cast pistons with snap ring clips and ring dowels that would work their way out.
    I raced OMC V4 engines from 1970-1975 in Europe and can remember the 8 carb set up coming out.I was told a Dr Hurlec in the UK had developed these for OMC along with other ideas and was told OMC paid him a retainer for his development work.I can remember Hurlec had been working on a V4 that developed its power low down no more than 5000rpm`a friend of mine Andy Bullen ran the powerhead at the Windemere 3hr race in 1974 on a Couger raceboat it went ok followed the pack round 4th or 5th maybe.I would describe Hurlec as looking like the DOC from BACK TO THE FUTURE saw him with Charlie Strang and Jack Leek a few times at the big international races.Maybe someone like Jim Nerstrom may know more about this?.

Post Thanks / Like

Default pics

A friend of mine has a few. a pic will tell the story
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Post Thanks / Like

Default Super Strangler Crankshaft

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Gohr View Post
    2 totally different engines, the strangler, has 2 2bbl carbs, battery ignition, there were 2 or 3 different center sections, The Super Strangler, had CD ignition, better internal components, hydraulic up/down, 8bbl carb, a much better engine
    I was under the impression that th Super Strangler's crankshaft was larger in the top journal. Was the only difference one was cast and one was forged????

I ran my Super Strangler on my 17 foot Scotti, three Parker 9 Hours in a row...27 race hours. We replaced the crank after the third Enduro, but that was all.

We won our class twice and think we had a third once...All were top ten finishes...

I never understood how the 8 barrel carbs worked, except to say they worked well.

ADD:

The Up and Down was so cool.....You'd come off a corner with an inboard, and you'd run the engine up all the way (one inch) to keep up off the corner (Keeping the motor on the pipe). Then, the inboard would start to "pull you" and you could lower the engine, and "WAM"....about 10 MPH gain...Jump from say 95 MPH to 105 MPH and just "Blow By" those inboards...It would be like "Adios Mother F.......er..."....Inboarders hated outboarders in those days because we usually won!!!!
    Last edited by Ron Hill; 10-05-2012 at 10:43 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, the KR crank is bigger, it has larger mains and rod journals, I have Tigers "Virgin" KR15M which I am restoring begining next week, I will take pics. The 8bbl worked just like todays watercraft pumper carbs, like a Mikuni "BN"

BoatRacingFacts VIP John Schubert T*A*R*T's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pinson View Post
    I raced OMC V4 engines from 1970-1975 in Europe and can remember the 8 carb set up coming out.I was told a Dr Hurlec in the UK had developed these for OMC along with other ideas and was told OMC paid him a retainer for his development work.I can remember Hurlec had been working on a V4 that developed its power low down no more than 5000rpm`a friend of mine Andy Bullen ran the powerhead at the Windemere 3hr race in 1974 on a Couger raceboat it went ok followed the pack round 4th or 5th maybe.I would describe Hurlec as looking like the DOC from BACK TO THE FUTURE saw him with Charlie Strang and Jack Leek a few times at the big international races.Maybe someone like Jim Nerstrom may know more about this?.
    Actually, the 8 barrel carbs were designed by Clarence Blanchard although Dr. Erlich was involved in many OMC design projects but not these carbs.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by John Schubert T*A*R*T View Post
    Actually, the 8 barrel carbs were designed by Clarence Blanchard although Dr. Erlich was involved in many OMC design projects but not these carbs.
    Here are both cranks, KR is the one without the lower bearing head.
    Kr was a 16 roller and the KC was a 14.
    The KC one in the picture is new and its forged but every original KC I have taken apart had a cast crank. I think the service Cranks were forged because there was a breakage issue.

I worked with Clarence Blanchard on some projects, probably the most talented designer I have ever known.
    Very creative with concept sketches, also made some unbelievable bird carvings.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thread Information