Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Region 3/4/5 OPC notables

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Dutchman Picklefork 16

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Connolly View Post
    Jan checked out of racing in late 1969, so he never set any records with a 135 Merc. It was either 1100's or 1250's...Jan's favorite motor was the 1100. I believe this boat pictured is the 16' wood plug he pulled the fiberglass mold off of. He made a 20 foot tunnel that was a pickle, but I don't believe the 16 ever was pickled.
    Is the photo in post #125 not a Dutchman? If not, any idea's what, or who manufactured it? Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Ooops checked the photo number....my previous answer was for the wrong picture. I believe it "could" be his 20 foot Dutchman that was pickeled. What does the boat in picture 125 measure.

Post Thanks / Like

Catalog picture.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Post #125

Rick, the photo in post 125 looks exactly the same as the boat I had & definately is not the same boat, length or design, as the 20 footer in the literature you have posted. I remember, back in the day, that the pickle-fork 16'ish boat I had, was built or raced by Mark Donahue, or some other famous race car driver of that era. Is it possible that whoever owned the molds after Dutchman, then changed them to a pickle-fork design? Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

From what I know about it....after Jan sold the company in 1969 it went tits up within a year and he lost 400K on the deal. It's possible, but I doubt it's a Dutchman. Keep in mind there were several knock offs of the Dutchman tunnel design. In the early 70's the pickle look was in and duckbill/round nose look was out. So, it could possibly be a modified splash.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Connolly View Post
    From what I know about it....after Jan sold the company in 1969 it went tits up within a year and he lost 400K on the deal. It's possible, but I doubt it's a Dutchman. Keep in mind there were several knock offs of the Dutchman tunnel design. In the early 70's the pickle look was in and duckbill/round nose look was out. So, it could possibly be a modified splash.
    Interesting info, thank-you. The Dutchman company was worth 400 thousand dollars, in 1969? Did'nt they build just two different boat lengths? Or was there much more to this company than meets the eye? Also Rick...Is that your Switzer in your avatar?

Post Thanks / Like

Dutchman made other boats and had a lot of orders on the books when it sold. Plus Jan owned Lima Marine....not sure if that was part of the package.

Yes, it is my wing.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Ahhhh, I thought I recognized your wing, the infamous Ted Miller wing. He lived in Boynton Beach, Fl., if I remember correctly...& owned a small marine business there...can't remember the name of it...its been years since I've driven by his old place, even though I still live close by.

Post Thanks / Like

It's not the Ted Miller wing. It this one picture with triples.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Lumpkin View Post
    Dont know who had the red & white wing. Jan Schoonover and Kenny Kitson were very active and raced in region 4 often. Dont remember or never heard about many triple engines any thing back then. Can you imagine trying to keep 3 engines running together, the cost, but I am sure the weight to power ratio was not good. Some times the good old days werent that good.
    Jan Schoonover set a 4 hour record (64.663) in the UU class with a Dutchman hull, Mercury on 8/24/69 at Huddleston, Va. Kenny Kitson set a new 1 hour speed record of 73.993 mph at Huddleston, Va with a Switzer/Mercury in the T class.
    Any one got a picture of a Dutchman boat?? Is this a Dutchman with 2 - 135 Mercs.
    I am still looking for a boat like the green picklefork Dutchman in Ray's photo post #125. I believe I actually owned that exact boat in the photo, which I bought in 1976. Anyone know anyone that might have one? Thanks

Thread Information