PDA

View Full Version : E & T Question

Mark75H
05-27-2005, 02:30 PM
This is from the transom of an old tunnel hull I suspect might be an E & T. Did you guys glass in numbers like this?

Looks like it says 13T5E ...

Ted March
05-27-2005, 08:59 PM
the T in E&T is a member. Send him an email. If you need his number, let me know,

Beale Tilton
06-08-2005, 12:23 PM
Anything is possible, but I don't remember doing that. Our hulls had serial numbers molded into the outside of the transom. Maybe it's one of several copies.

Mark75H
06-08-2005, 07:13 PM
This boat was circulating around in southern Maryland. Do you know who might have made copies close to you?

Beale Tilton
06-09-2005, 06:32 AM
We built the boats directly across the river from Solom's Island.
If you have pictures, description, etc. maybe I can help with it's history.
A highly modified version was built in NJ another copy in Indiana.
The son of the Indiana builder tried to sell me one in St. Mary's Ohio, until he realized who I was. His boat suffered serious damage in the rough water that day. After the race I ask if he would like construction instructions.
Saw a picture of a Sport G E & T on this site. Didn't built one that color.
The last E & T was built in 1974. Every now and then I get a call from a new proud owner. What condition is the boat. I know someone that is looking for a 15 foote sit down if you happen to run across one.
If you want phone conversation e mail me at Beale3342@aol.com and I'll return my phone number.

Mark75H
06-09-2005, 05:23 PM
I live right on Rt 2, a bit farther north :)

I think it was built as a 14 ½ - 15 footer, but it has been altered and is a little shorter now; not quite 14 ¼ or so.

This boat's hull is pretty stout, but the deck is very light. There isn't room under the front cowl or dash for feet bigger than size 2, so I'm sure it was built as a kneeler. There are no numbers or letters embossed on the transom, so I'd guess it was a copy. The transom was 3 layers of plywood glassed together with matte between them and coarse cloth on the inside and outside; water got into the wood edgewise and it took me a while to work up a repair scheme, but I think I've got a good plan. Looks like it was red with a gold/bronze accent scheme. Tried to show it in the pictures. Do you recognize whose boat it might have been?

The fin at the back is an intergrated speedo pickup and there is a built in water telltale with a nice stainless steel hose to go from the motor to a fitting on the right side deck just ahead of the driver ... so it would be easy to confirm you are pumping water.

The hoop of the rear cowl is a piece of electrician's EMT bent into a gentle arc and glassed in.

I'm planning on running my 75 hp McCulloch with the gearshift racing lower unit on this boat (17:19 gears, 11" diameter prop). It is one of the "Custom" McCulloch motors. Nolan Burgess had one of these motors down in Camp Springs on a Scott 3 point hydro. Do you know if the Scott boat is still around or who might have had it when Burgess shut down his shop and started selling cars in Annapolis?

Here are a few I snapped before the mosquitos found out I was outside:

Beale Tilton
06-10-2005, 07:50 AM
This looks like one of the orginial kneel down tunnels, before we changed the lift and transome. Don't understand the 14 1/2 because we only built 13' and 15' 3" or 6" don't remember exactly. The one exception was a 13 we extended to 14 and that boat is in Florida. The rear cowling is E & T. As far as the deck being light, it was only built to hold up the color and keep out the wind.
The boat may have been the first one we built for Bob Roberts. Bob Campaigned the boat with a Twister. If I remember correctly Bob was U Class US 1 in 1972. I definietly remember him running 99+ MPH with it at the Kilos in Toano, Va. Just couldn't break into the 100 MPH Club. The last I knew of that boat it was owned by Kenny Curtis in the Dowell, Md. area
Replacing the wood is no big deal, except for the glass dust. Take out the old, grind the the surounding surface clean and glass in new wood.
JJ Christman in the Clarks Landing area owned a Scott hydro with a 75 Custom back in the 60s. Have no idea what became of it. Bill Edwards the E of E & T raced a Custom in 1960. Bill lives on Patuxent Beach Road.
I don't believe the boat and motor combination you have is going to produce any blazing speed. With an old 150 in line it's a mid 80s thrill. By the way if you are going to run on your knees brace you backside hard against the right side, hook your left elbow over the side, grab the steering wheel at the bottom and turn. If you aren't brace the boat will turn and you will go straight. Never had anyone turn inside of one.
Good luck with your project.

brianT2
06-15-2005, 10:22 PM
dick hunter - UJ, is this a E&T hull?

Beale Tilton
06-16-2005, 07:00 AM
No, I believe that was a boat built in Miami. Can't think of the gentlemen's name, Al I think.
Is Dick on this site. A really nice, soft spoken guy.

MN1
06-16-2005, 08:53 AM
Was Dick Hunters boat a M&P Sprint ? Don't remember for sure.
Mark N

OLEGATORXX
06-27-2005, 02:41 PM
was built by Al Martin, I think.

Beale Tilton
06-28-2005, 06:47 AM
Think you are both correct. Couldn't remember Al Martin's name. He did build the Screaming Yellow Zonkers.

Mark75H
06-28-2005, 07:28 AM
Thanks, Beale. I added Al's name to the Who's Who in Boat Racing (http://www.boatracingfacts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23) in our encyclopedia. (Added your name, too ;) )

Beale Tilton
08-01-2005, 07:49 AM
Sam,
I'm driving to Southern Maryland 8/3. Send your phone number to Beale3342@aol.com and I'll touch base while there.
Been in the water yet?

Hammer
10-31-2005, 08:35 PM
No, I believe that was a boat built in Miami. Can't think of the gentlemen's name, Al I think.
Is Dick on this site. A really nice, soft spoken guy.

Very good memory ! The boat was built in Miami by Al Martin I belive. No Dick is not on this site yet ! But i will try to get him here. This is his son Clay.