PDA

View Full Version : Russ Hill, Sea Scopes

Skoontz
12-23-2009, 08:58 PM
one of the amazing things I find about this forum is the diversity amongst the members. Of those is the infamous Russ Hill, Grand dad of Marlee, and Dad of Bunker. I got one of his cards up at Bunkers house last summer and saw the name Sea Scopes....So fast forward to September this year.

KT was ay her Masterdrive class, a defensive drivers ed class for new drivers up in Orange county. Since I had the whole, day and it was too far to drive back home and back up again when she was done, I browsed around Huntington and Newport Beach. After talking to my saleman for a while at Ferrari of Newport Beach, he suggested I check out Huntington Pier. I walked down the deck, toward the Ruby's. The surf ws rolling off the bottom of the pier from some wind out at sea....Then I found them....This periscope looking things you put money in and watch the ocean....And low and behold, Sea Scopes was the name of the company that serviced the instruments.

Pretty cool seeing something from the king of usless information and delightr of the shore, Russ Hill.

Skoontz
12-23-2009, 09:01 PM
hook up the pictures.....

russhill
12-23-2009, 10:03 PM
Thanks for the plug. It's SEE Scopes as in look not as in ocean. The real question is not did you put in any quarters, but how many. I don't care what you look at, I only care about the quarters.

Skoontz
12-23-2009, 10:34 PM
Russ:

Thanks for the spelling correction....I should have caught that one! As far as how many quarters I placed in the instrument, I had just gotten done saving up for a haircut after I put money down on a Ferrari 360 Modena Spider with paddle shifters. Red, with Buckskin interior, 7210 miles....Along with that came the parking fees on Coast Highway in Huntington, the amazing omlette at Ruby's with tip, and a number of other superfluous items. When I got the bill for the haircut I was blown away that they had charged me twice as much to cut half the hair ( it's California you know) and when I reached into my pocket to grab a fist full of quarters, all I seemed to be able to find was lint and dirt left over from a job! So, for the rest of the day, i stood out in the middle of Coast highway witha carboard sign reading,

" I'm not homeless, hungry, I'm not hungry, but I do need quarters for the See Scopes instrument, please help, God bless.....

Do you know they spit on me? One guy said he would give money if i admitted I was going to buy booze.....

Allen J. Lang
12-24-2009, 09:12 AM
Hi Bill- Should have stood on the hiway with a sign NEED MONEY FOR BOAT RACING. Who knows who, you might have hooked up with a sponcer.
Ye Olde Desert Geezer Al :cool:
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you and family.

Skoontz
12-24-2009, 05:19 PM
Hi Bill- Should have stood on the hiway with a sign NEED MONEY FOR BOAT RACING. Who knows who, you might have hooked up with a sponcer.
Ye Olde Desert Geezer Al :cool:
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you and family.

I think I'm going to try that one Al! I could even get specific...Not hungry, not homeless. In desparite need of an Evinrude 4-60 race engine with Hubbel horns and overdrive gearcase.....

You never know who might have one!

Master Oil Racing Team
12-24-2009, 08:29 PM
So far I have put quarters down for Russ at Golden Gate bridge and Diamondhead. And now that you bring up Huntington Beach Skoontz, I guess I also did at Newport Beach in '93. What about the south side of the Grand Canyon? Since it's See and not Sea maybe that one counts too.