PDA

View Full Version : Dope vs Epoxy or?

Skoontz
12-28-2009, 06:21 PM
I am doing a project for my Toastmasters club and needed some advice from the woodworking crowd. I built a traffic signal type light out of wood and need to paint it. I want to coat it with something to fill the voids and wet sand for a glass like finish. I have Epoxy, but that a stuff is tacky and a little more difficult to work with than the Dope used on RC modeling.

Dope on the other hand dries and wet sands great.

Is there anythign else you migth recommend to do what I want to do on this project? Dope, if even available in CA. is expensive, but as said works great.

Thanks for the anticipated responses.

Mark75H
12-28-2009, 08:10 PM
Insert wisecrack remark about availability of dope in California here :rolleyes:

Gene East
12-28-2009, 08:38 PM
Sam,
Be nice!

Skoontz
12-28-2009, 09:12 PM
You guys are too funny....Here, Dope, (pot) is legal for whatever ails you!

Dope the liquid that was sold in bottles to paitn on RC stuff, could very well be banned just like any form of good lawn or plant chemical that was ever invented along with anything else that works for it's intended purpose!

In that repsect, this place is two steps short of moronic!

Jerry Combs
12-29-2009, 07:59 AM
Bill,

Nitrate Dope will probably give the best finish but like you say good dope such as Randolf is very expensive. Have you considered using polyurathane? If you use the water based versions they dry fairly quickly and can be sanded and then top coated to a reasonable looking finish.

If you do decide on the dope, go up to Aircraft Spruce in Corona, they sell Randolf dope.

JohnsonM50
12-29-2009, 12:55 PM
You guys are too funny....Here, Dope, (pot) is legal for whatever ails you!

Dope the liquid that was sold in bottles to paitn on RC stuff, could very well be banned just like any form of good lawn or plant chemical that was ever invented along with anything else that works for it's intended purpose!

In that repsect, this place is two steps short of moronic!

As long as somethin does 'ail' ya, not for those who already feel good :rolleyes: ;) Id think about filling any big voids with bondo or claw glass type filler then epoxy [West] or dope for that glazed look, then paitn.

Skoontz
12-29-2009, 06:21 PM
Thanks guys!

I need a road trip anyway. never been to Corona but sure have drank a bunch of it!

Jerry Combs
12-29-2009, 07:10 PM
Bill,

Here is the address etc.

Aircraft Spruce WEST
Administrative Offices
and Main Warehouse
225 Airport Circle
Corona, CA 92880
Yahoo Map: Click Here
Tel: 951-372-9555
Fax: 951-372-0555
Customer Service: 800-861-3192
Email: info@aircraftspruce.com

Funny thing, they offered me a job once when they were just starting up, I didn't take it...........sure wish I had.

Jerry

Skoontz
12-29-2009, 09:53 PM
Thank you, Jerry. i'll call there tomorrow and see if I can get out there before ameture night.

I sure like what that stuff does to wood before you paint it. I made many a pinewood derby cars where I left the bottom wood and the sides with paint. Dads would argue with me that it was plastic, and when i flipped the car on it's belly and they saw the wood, they could not beleive it!

clam
01-01-2010, 01:38 PM
A good idea is to use Parks Sand and Seal on the wood. It seals the pores of the wood.

Skoontz
01-02-2010, 07:58 PM
is off the legal in the knit wit state of California for sale list. Matter of fact, the stuff that is legal is only legal in 3.5oz jars...So, rather than buy a quart like i needed, I bought a quart in the evuivelent of 3.5OZ jars....Where do these morns who make the laws governing this crap come from?

On the cool note....The joint I got the fake Dope from had every form of WW1, WW2, Korean through current aircraft hanging on the cieling.

They had an FA-18 Hornet, 8' long with 2 mini jet engines, retractable landing gear, machine guns and rockets that really fire, and an ejection seat.

The plane flies at 250 real MPH, 1.5 times faster than the pilot can think!

Cost, $2500 for the plane, $4,000 in RC servo junk,, and $10,000 in jet engines...they sold 12 of them last year!

Also for sale Miss Elan in a 4' long boat, $650.00 with 2 stroke motor.

Jerry Combs
01-02-2010, 08:13 PM
Bill,

I had a guy offer to let me fly his jet via a buddy box (2 transmitters with one being the master and one for the "student pilot"), I turned him down saying that if I couldn't afford to repair/replace it if I crashed it I didn't want to fly it. I have an electric ducted fan jet that will do around 110 and that is plenty fast for me.

I guess that Aircraft Spruce wouldn't sell you a quart of nitrate? Bummer, part of the reason I left Calif in 1994.

Jerry

is off the legal in the knit wit state of California for sale list. Matter of fact, the stuff that is legal is only legal in 3.5oz jars...So, rather than buy a quart like i needed, I bought a quart in the evuivelent of 3.5OZ jars....Where do these morns who make the laws governing this crap come from?

On the cool note....The joint I got the fake Dope from had every form of WW1, WW2, Korean through current aircraft hanging on the cieling.

They had an FA-18 Hornet, 8' long with 2 mini jet engines, retractable landing gear, machine guns and rockets that really fire, and an ejection seat.

The plane flies at 250 real MPH, 1.5 times faster than the pilot can think!

Cost, $2500 for the plane, $4,000 in RC servo junk,, and $10,000 in jet engines...they sold 12 of them last year!

Also for sale Miss Elan in a 4' long boat, $650.00 with 2 stroke motor.

Skoontz
01-02-2010, 08:43 PM
Jerry:

Yep, i love this state and hate all the knit wits....But, got my fake Dope, got the wood filled, wet sand tomorrow and ready for paint.

The money these RC guys spend is unfreeken real! Real mini turbines for RC boats and real jets for airplanes....$5,000 a copy!

Then, i forgot..... A Vaux Corsair, 9' wingspan with get this, a working twin 9 cylinder radial engine, just like the real deal. It produces 95 HP! The plane flies like the real deal, if you crank the throttle too fast it will barrel roll.

Then some guy had a 4' long off road car with a blown fuel injected V-8 motor....Where do they get the money?

Jerry Combs
01-03-2010, 02:11 PM
Not all RC modelers spend huge amounts of money on their models. I mostly fly indoor acrobatic models that cost less than $150 with replacement airframes as cheap as $15 if I cut them out myself. The group that I fly with are pretty active and we fly at least once a week. All of our models are electric powered, the cost of electric models has come way down and some of the motors cost less than $10, the new Lithium Polymer batteries from China can cost as little as $4, so it can be a pretty cheap hobby if approached right.

Skoontz
01-03-2010, 04:50 PM
Mike:

This one was a 50CC Tanaka motor, and had one of Ron's props on it. The guy who owns the store has it and is tired of it....Don't worry, I'm not doing any RC stuff. I have too much going on in life and business right now to play with the stuff, so I figure if I can't run it then why bother, right? The one RC toy that looked the most fun was the V-8 dune buggy, but I'm not so sure how those miniture V-8's cool under load. most of them I've seen run on engine stands and have open water tanks rather than radiators to cool. Get that thing cranking out at Ocotillo Wells and I'm not so sure it would not stick from the heat.