PDA

View Full Version : Seattle's 1968 Nationals on Green Lake

Clarkraft13R
01-04-2010, 06:10 PM
OK Pack Rats, I have a request for you.
I have been looking for boat racing magazines and newspaper articles that covered the 1968 Stock Outboard Nationals that were held on Seattle's Green Lake to get some scans of.
I am mostly interested in information on the the AU (Mike Boon) & BU (Clark Maloof) National winners.
Thank You

Don

Ron Hill
01-05-2010, 03:23 PM
I raced Chicago-Milwaukee-Chicago son Sunday before Seattle, Flew home raced Seattle, went to DePue, then went to the Marathon Nationals in Trenton, Michigan. Came home raced the Needles Marathon, left left for Paris, Berlin races. Came home rested up, raced Bakersfield, then went to the Havasu World Championships.

Never read anything about Seattle except in the Propeller Magazine, maybe!!!

Seems Jimbo was passing Clark Maloof in BU on the outside when he barrel rolled. My dad and I had built that boat, we went home and changed our design, never did that again. Clark went on to win.

Jimbo ran 6 classes and failed to make the finals in any class. He had a ton of hard luck, plus in B hydro, the Hedlund boats were just plain faster than he ever dreamed possible.

Boone's "A" Runabout was so fast it didn't seem possible, as I think he'd bought the boat from Billy Rosado, the 1967 Champion and usually when people buy fast stuff, they seldom win. Boone did great. Then, maybe he moved to California???

Seems Wil Pergande, as I recall, won C and D Hydro with what appeared to be ease. I only ran C and D Runabout, but my D Hydo would NOT have had a chance against Wil, as I seldom beat Jimbo and he didn't qualify!

Jerry Combs
01-05-2010, 05:46 PM
Ron,

No kidding those Hedlund's were fast, they passed me like I was running an ASH in BSH.

I remember Jimbo barrel rolling in BU. The lake was pretty rough.

Clarkraft13R
01-05-2010, 09:03 PM
Wow Ron !
It seems like you had to take a nice relaxing ride in your D hydro just to get over your jet lag. Your memory is remarkable, what brand of helmets did you say you used ? If anyone runs across that issue of Propeller Magazine and could scan the article, I would really appreciate it. As far as "Boone's "A" Runabout was so fast it didn't seem possible", well it has slowed down a little over the years and now resides in my family room.
Thank you guys for recalling those wonderful memories.

Don

http://users.infoconex.com/~ramrod/1US.jpg

MarkD
01-07-2010, 06:08 PM
I may have some stuff from that race - I was there watching and remember clearly be so amazed at how the Hedlund's just blew everyone away and cleaned up in both A and B hydro. For the next few years, you needed a Hedlund to win in stock hydros.

Mark

Clarkraft13R
01-08-2010, 12:13 PM
Thanks Mark, if you run across some of your 68 Seattle race stuff, I would love to see a scan of whatever you find.
Thanks again.

Don

smittythewelder
01-13-2010, 12:27 PM
The best racing of that weekend was in AU. Seattle's Dave Swanson, who held one or both of the records in the class with his Karelsen runabout (one of the few runabouts Ed built), ran deck to deck, for almost all of every lap of both final heats, with the eventual winner . . . who I remember seeing, but whose name I'd forgotten; I recalled Mike Mamano, but I guess it must have been Mike Boon (some foreigner from outside Reg. 10!!!). Dave was older and bigger, and must have spotted Boon a good 25-30 pounds overall, and Boon had the inside position in both heats. Maybe the closest two-heat race I ever saw.

Dave's dad and pit-man Lloyd was a fine photographer, so somewhere there are some outstanding black and white photos of that race. I believe that the master, Bob Carver, was still at the local races with his trusty Speed Graphic, as well. If someone knows him, Craig Fjarlie might have an idea where Carver's collection is now.

The Hedlands were very fast in the straights, but I looked at the elimination and final heat times for B Stock Hydro, and the two fastest heats of the four days were run by Seattle's Barry Lewis and Jeff Lowe, both running Marchettis, both (especially Jeff) well over minimum weight.

Ron Hill
01-13-2010, 04:24 PM
Is Barry related to the current Lewis Racers???

When Rosado won in Essex, Maryland in '67, he ran what I thought was an OLD SID-Craft but I think it was an OLD CLARK-CRAFT.

Did Swensen's Karlesen have a long cowling on the deck? I'd love to see those black and white pictures...

Here is an interesting prop, I'm going to add it to my Virtual Propeller Museum, but for here, let me say, I was in Parker, last Wednesday, 1/5/10 with Dave Bryan. We were picking up a trailer from Bill Olsen. Bill is the son of Ed Olsen. Ed and Bill raced The Cream Puff is SK.

For some reason Bill had this Cary CR wheel. In 1968, Major Bob Smith was sent to Vietnam and he left his DeSilva CU behind. DeSilvas told me to race Bob's boat and sell it, because Bob wanted a new boat when returning from Nam.

To help me sell the boat they came me three Cary CR props to also sell, as they had been Cary dealers. I sold one prop right away, without ever testing it. I like this one the best.

I raced this Cary on C Runabout all of 1968-69 and also ran it on C Hydro most of 1969-70. I sold this prop to Ed Peters of Needles because he bought Major Bob's DeSilva.

Anyway, Nick Murphy bought a 30-H and prop from Jimmy Dawe. Nick left this prop will Bill about 15 years ago. And I found it last week.

It is the prop I ran second in C Runabout at Seattle, 1968.

smittythewelder
01-14-2010, 11:54 AM
Yes, Swannie's Karelsen had a long cowling (not often seen on runabouts in those days) made of fabric over wood battens, same as the fore-decks on most hydros then. Almost all of Ed's few runabouts had this cowl, with the exception of what must have been one of the first raceboats Ed built, Jackie Holden's JU, which set both records in 1958 and might have been National Champion as well (I forget).

I don't know about Barry Lewis being related to any current Lewis racers. Carl Lewis has a son racing, I believe.

Ron Hill
01-14-2010, 09:29 PM
1968 to 2010, 42 two years, and I remember that A Runabout with the cloth cowling. Ed Karlesen was quite a designer. I'll bet I could draw that boat. Seems it was mohogany with a polished KG-4 tank.

At the Divisionals in Orick, California, 1957, There were only two J Runabouts. Jackie Holden's dad loaned me a J engine, a transom block and paid my entry fee. I ran second, only J race I ever ran. Seemsed a little slow at the time, as I broke the AU straight away record the next day at 48.352 MPH.

Seems to me Jackie was hot in A in '59. '58's Nationals were in Miami, Florida. Don't recall what happened there as I wasn't there.

Well, maybe '58 is right, as Russ or Edmond Wolf ran away with J and A Runabout in Seattle in '59.

Ever see a 22" bottom with an 1/8 in the last inch, with no fin and cowling go like a mother in both A and J runabout???? Well, that was Wolf's runabout

Clarkraft13R
01-15-2010, 10:12 AM
Thank you Guys for digging around in your memory banks,
My Dad took me to that 1968 race but I was just a Goofy kid and he was hanging out with his Boeing Buddy’s, Hugh Enthrop and I think Ted Jones.
I was probably hanging out at the candy stand rotting my teeth out.

I was just noticing the remarkable resemblance between Carl Blackstock's riding mechanic and Ron.
Now tell the truth Ron, was that you blasting thru Seattle's Montlake Cut back in 33 in the shot gun seat ?

http://users.infoconex.com/~ramrod/1933CarlBlackstockR21.jpg

smittythewelder
01-15-2010, 12:56 PM
Jackie Holden was actually "before my time;" I was only reading about racing with my grade school and junior high pals in the Fifties. So I don't know about him directly, though I heard he just grew a little too much to come anywhere near minimum weight in the A Stock classes. But when I started racing myself, another novice, Ron Shew, showed up with an ASH Marchetti outfit that had been Holden's, and he was immediately fast (as opposed to me and my pals who started out with Hal Kelly homebuilts and somebody's unwanted props).

Ron Hill
01-15-2010, 05:48 PM
19-C in my 1969 DeSilva, the red DeSilva behind me is Major Bob's boat that I sold to Ed Peters. This pitcture was taken at the 1970 Winternationals at Topock, Arizona.

arcticracer
02-06-2010, 10:06 PM
After two years of learning the ropes I finally won my first race, the 68' Nationals! Ric Montoya was second. I got thrown in the water by Joe Price who built the boat and the prop.

David Johnson
11-23-2011, 09:43 AM
Yes, Swannie's Karelsen had a long cowling (not often seen on runabouts in those days) made of fabric over wood battens, same as the fore-decks on most hydros then. Almost all of Ed's few runabouts had this cowl, with the exception of what must have been one of the first raceboats Ed built, Jackie Holden's JU, which set both records in 1958 and might have been National Champion as well (I forget).

I don't know about Barry Lewis being related to any current Lewis racers. Carl Lewis has a son racing, I believe.

I started racing AU (soon to become ASR) in 1970. Bought a Karelsen runabout from John Myers (yeah...JW's dad) that did not have the cowling...the only one I've ever seen.
Ed did not build very many runabouts, most of them J's and A's, but I do remember someone here in Region 10 had a CU or DU Karelsen with the cowling. I had several Karelsens throughout my racing career...CSH/DSH, 350ccH (all conventional hulls) and my last was a 20SSH,, which was an early picklefork. Ed built some fast and beautiful boats.

smittythewelder
11-23-2011, 12:12 PM
Didn't know I was still subscribed to this, but since I got notified I'll respond to my ol' bud, Dave Johnson. I don't know who ordered it from Ed, but Dave Jenkins ran that big runabout in CU for a few years. Varnished hull (looked like Philippine mohogany as I recall) with a light blue cowl; 45degree non-trips, and quite a wide bottom, which was the basic configuration of all of Ed's runabouts that I saw.

David Johnson
11-23-2011, 12:30 PM
Okay...gotta know who Smitty the welder is...
to remember me as a boat racer would be surprising...zero region or national high points...zero national championships...zero world records, but I had allot of fun, traveled throughout this great nation, made allot of friends (and a few enemies, I'm sure) and still consider most all of these people as family, even though I haven't kneeled or sat in a race boat for almost 30 years.
So...who is Smitty The Welder?

smittythewelder
11-23-2011, 01:27 PM
Phil Smith, BSH and AOH starting in '65 and off and on for several years after. PM me, we'll chew the fat.

DeanFHobart
11-23-2011, 01:55 PM
[QUOTE=David Johnson;112986]I started racing AU (soon to become ASR) in 1970. Bought a Karelsen runabout from John Myers (yeah...JW's dad) that did not have the cowling...the only one I've ever seen.

Hello Dave,

Are you related to Steve Johnson?

Best Regards,

Dean

David Johnson
11-23-2011, 02:00 PM
Dean,

Yes, Steve is my older brother. We raced in the 70's, along with older brother Rich Koch. We were Team Northwest. Steve started in DSH, moved to BOH (350ccH). I started in AU, then ASH, CSH, 350ccH, 350ccR, and last raced 20SSH in 1981.
Remember you as one of the fast guys in ASH.

DeanFHobart
11-23-2011, 02:21 PM
Dean,

Yes, Steve is my older brother. We raced in the 70's, along with older brother Rich Koch. We were Team Northwest. Steve started in DSH, moved to BOH (350ccH). I started in AU, then ASH, CSH, 350ccH, 350ccR, and last raced 20SSH in 1981.
Remember you as one of the fast guys in ASH.

Yes Dave,

I do remember all you guys. "The good ole' days' !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dean.........................

smittythewelder
11-27-2011, 07:58 PM
My senile brain was really thinking of Steve when I wrote, "my ol' buddy Dave J". But Dave, I rememberyou and your big Karelsen, "White Lightning," . . . uh, I DO remember that correctly, right???? (stumbles off muttering to self):(confused::mad:

David Johnson
11-28-2011, 06:56 AM
My senile brain was really thinking of Steve when I wrote, "my ol' buddy Dave J". But Dave, I rememberyou and your big Karelsen, "White Lightning," . . . uh, I DO remember that correctly, right???? (stumbles off muttering to self):(confused::mad:

Right, Phil. I then had a Goff-Hagness that I got from Don Haack...(his Cottage Lake boat...seems he had a boat for every race course) "Super Fly". I loved that boat, even though I stuffed it the first time I ran it (Kitsap Lake). Steve got spit out the only time he ran it...he hated that boat. Back to a Karelsen for 350ccH, actually the DSH hull that Ed had built for Steve a few years prior ("Shooting Star"). Steve had a similar hull for 350ccH that he had bought from Dick Moen. We both ran Quincy flatheads. I then moved to 20SSH with a Karelsen/Yamato 80 ("Fast Company"). I wish I could find that 350ccH rig to run...so much fun.

calvin
11-28-2011, 03:47 PM
Is thar the same Major Bob that was in region 4?

Ron Hill
11-28-2011, 03:54 PM
As far as I know there was only one Major Bob.....He became a Captain, but when I emailed him, last week, he was Major Bob to me...I'm pretty sure this is the same Major Bob Smith...

This is Trenton (Marathon Nationals 1968) Me with the trophy...Major Bob in the middle and my dad in the straw hat...

Mark75H
11-28-2011, 07:12 PM
Yes, its the same guy. He has been kind enough to give me advice from time to time at races in Region 3 & 4

Cookie 13-B
01-04-2012, 06:25 AM
Memories, Memories. Just to share a short Story. Myself, ( Jack Thompson 13-B CSH) traveled with Mike Boon and Helgie Magneson (CU) from the East that year to the Nationals in Seattle. Mike was really on his game that year. While traveling to Seattle, we were driving during the night because of the heat. In South Dakota one morning we pulled into a Hotel. The trailer with 4 boats aboard, was a little too high and of course my CSH was on top and had the cowling and deck torn off the boat from a low overhang in front of the Office. I had qualified in the Divisionals so I didn't have to qualify. Thanks again to Mike & Jim Downing and his Family from Seattle. They took us to their home and we replaced the cowling and the deck, canvas at the time on my C Hydro ( Casta-Craft ) In the finals, I hit the start right on the button. When I got to the backstretch, unknow to me, the boats back end broke loose on several occasions. While in the lead. It seems that the wooden air trap had cracked when we hit the overhang at the Hotel. We didn't even notice the split on the air trap. Well. When I got up to speed the air opened the split on the air trap and the air escaped. Not to toot anyone's horn, but a Casta-Craft would have won CSH that year as I had a lead on the backstretch that allowed me to let off on the throttle twice. No catching a Casta-Craft in CSH in those years. Ask Stan Armstrong and Billy Giles. Wow ! that was a year to remember. Ended up 2nd in National points because of that low overhang that year. Oh well, the wonderful memories are still forever.......... There is a lot more to this story for the trip home. May continue with the story later. Those were the days.

Clarkraft13R
01-04-2012, 08:57 AM
Hello Cookie 13-B: That must have been a long road trip for you guys back then, I'm sure you have allot of memories from that journey west.
Did you get a chance to record any of the trip on film ?
Also I would love to find out where Mike Boon is now days and share some pictures and stories with him about his old ride.

Thank you for jumping into this forum and I would love to hear anymore of your wonderful memories..

Don

Cookie 13-B
01-04-2012, 01:44 PM
Don, That was just the tip of the iceberg of stories I have from just that trip to Seatlle alone. As far as pics and video, sorry, who knows where they went. As far as Mike Boon, no idea. Haven't seen or heard of Him for many, many years. If I can dig up some info, I'll pass it on. Jack