PDA

View Full Version : How good were racing the OMC lower units

Powerabout
01-20-2010, 11:18 AM
from the 60's i.e. the non thru hubs.
40, 50, 75's 100Hp etc
Did they survive surfacing?

Any style better then others, split through propshaft versus split higher versions?

Cheers

Ron Hill
01-20-2010, 05:23 PM
I only know about the 45 SS, SST 100, CC, CCC, and V-8 gearcases.

These units were well designed. I have personal knowledge that they'll stand up to the engine horespower they are suggested for and some more.

I also know, that in the HEAT of he "Outboard Wars", Mercury hired at least one engineer away from OMC to assist Mercury in inproving their gearcases. This was circa 1979.

Sea Marine has the rights to make OMC gearcases at this time. AND I wish they'd build a few of each!!!

Skoontz
01-20-2010, 05:57 PM
Far as I know, the only racing lower units OMC made were for the X115/GT115 race motors prior to the Stinger/SS motors.

They were smaller diamter than Mercury which pissed Carl off royally, they also were shiftable cases, F/N/R. The exhaust opening could be plugged and placed on the bottom end of the cavatation plate.

We had several of the race engines running on the river anfd did not have too many issues, I did however hear they were only good for about 15 hours of use before they scattered. I never saw a scattered one apart.

Others may know different.

Mark75H
01-20-2010, 07:59 PM
Not sure I understand the question ... racing using the gearshift pleasure units or race only units?

Roy Hodges
01-20-2010, 09:42 PM
I think he's asking about the gear shift units , like those on the 70.7 cube 60 horse v-4 and 90 cube v-4 (75 horse) from 1960-68, before the prop -exhaust units came out . You know, the pointed nose units with the 20/23 gear ratio .

Powerabout
01-20-2010, 09:58 PM
yes
the old pointy consumer models.

MN1
01-20-2010, 10:09 PM
Would this type of gearcase have been used in the 36 class?
Mark N

Roy Hodges
01-20-2010, 10:47 PM
[QUOTE=MN1;84632]Would this type of gearcase have been used in the 36 class?
.................................................. .................................................. .................................
nope ! the only omc's allowed in "36" were the 25 &30 horse "Big Twins". The only big twin that had a "pointy" lower unit was the 40 horse electramatic, not allowed in 36 class , because it was about 43 or 44 cubic inches .

wolfgang
01-21-2010, 03:11 AM
Far as I know, the only racing lower units OMC made were for the X115/GT115 race motors prior to the Stinger/SS motors.

They were smaller diamter than Mercury which pissed Carl off royally, they also were shiftable cases, F/N/R. The exhaust opening could be plugged and placed on the bottom end of the cavatation plate.

We had several of the race engines running on the river anfd did not have too many issues, I did however hear they were only good for about 15 hours of use before they scattered. I never saw a scattered one apart.

Others may know different.

In `67 or `68 we received from Bruges one of the first 55hp loopers with a racing lu which externally looked the same as the GT115 ones. A hot works SE engine, received in `69, was unable to grenade a like unit within the 40 hours, during which we used it for testing on the Rhine river, as well as the Liege and Berlin 6 hour races, which Helmut Tinscher and I won in that year (Jimbo won ON).
We never had water in the oil or noticable radial shaft play. Only, I cannot remember ever having used a shifter on those motors.

Powerabout
01-21-2010, 03:24 AM
Prior to the X115 lowers
were the V4 engines raced with stock lower units?

Skoontz
01-21-2010, 11:43 AM
In `67 or `68 we received from Bruges one of the first 55hp loopers with a racing lu which externally looked the same as the GT115 ones. A hot works SE engine, received in `69, was unable to grenade a like unit within the 40 hours, during which we used it for testing on the Rhine river, as well as the Liege and Berlin 6 hour races, which Helmut Tinscher and I won in that year (Jimbo won ON).
We never had water in the oil or noticable radial shaft play. Only, I cannot remember ever having used a shifter on those motors.

It is quite possible that the OMC back room boys installed a spacer where reverse gear was and you in fact had the X115/GT115 unit on the three banger.
Spacer kits to replace reverse gear were routinely sold for the manual shift pointeed gear cases that Powerabout is referring to, and they would get you marginal incements because the drag of reverse gears flipping through the lower unit oil robbed power.

We were considering extending the lower pice on the pointed cases once so we could get more prop diamter, but nixed the idea when the gear ratio was what it was.

We did have a 75HP V-4 running a 17" 2 blade cupped bronze Johnson-Oakland prop on a 14' Yellow Jacket. It loved eating big black grain silos but we are talking river racing here, not any sanctioned events.

JohnsonM50
02-05-2010, 05:56 AM
[QUOTE=MN1;84632]Would this type of gearcase have been used in the 36 class?
.................................................. .................................................. .................................
nope ! the only omc's allowed in "36" were the 25 &30 horse "Big Twins". The only big twin that had a "pointy" lower unit was the 40 horse electramatic, not allowed in 36 class , because it was about 43 or 44 cubic inches .

Yup those were 43ci & the pointed case wasnt a big advantage over the mechanical shift [bullnose/club foot HD] split case for the same motors.

Dave S.
02-15-2010, 03:40 PM
Was trying to take apart one of the pointy cases apart.....hitting the prop shaft with a big hammer to get the bottom part off the top part.;) The prop shaft BROKE like GLASS.:eek: I do not think it would like to be surfaced in water with hammers.:p If I were to run one I would sneek in a Merc prop shaft.;) I think it can be done.;) Powerabout needs to ask for more info but also needs to say what his intentions are.:confused:

JohnsonM50
02-15-2010, 06:41 PM
I think the pointed ones [not the split case round nose with screws up thru the bottom] are dis & reassembled from the rear like Mercs

Powerabout
02-15-2010, 10:02 PM
Ok

The higher horsepower ones are split above the pinion bearing, the lower horsepower ones split the propshaft line.

Having the water pickup behind the prop you could run them quite high without any mods i would guess?

My question was I was interested to know as these were stock cases on the engines and assuming the stock engines were raced in the 60's, how did these boxes survive when surfaced compared to modern stock boxes that flog the bearing carriers out?

cheers

Mark75H
02-16-2010, 05:30 AM
Quite simple, they were not surfaced. People raced Mercs and fished with OMC's

Powerabout
02-16-2010, 06:19 AM
you could have at least lied!
lol
Cheers

JohnsonM50
02-16-2010, 06:45 AM
you could have at least lied!
lol
Cheers
Im of the mindset that all can be improved. How?, another thing for another :confused:. What you would run into is prop availabiltiy, gear ratio limits, RPM limits..weight, etc. & on. Not that you cant get speed outta the old OMC, just that the old Merc manufactured the 'good stuff' ready to go, hard to beat. Good Luck with it.:D