PDA

View Full Version : Big John Dortch............

F-12
02-05-2010, 07:38 PM
From Gne East.........

I received a phone call from John this morning with MORE BAD NEWS.

John has been complaining about numbness in his legs for some time.

Today his doctor told him the right leg must be amputated below the knee. The surgery is scheduled for Monday morning.

John has had a great deal of grief and pain thrust upon him this week with the lose of his beloved Liz and now this.

Please keep John in your prayers especially during surgery on Monday.

jrome
02-08-2010, 04:32 PM
Any body hear how Johns operation went?

F-12
02-08-2010, 04:33 PM
Just waiting to hear from Gene..............

Gene East
02-08-2010, 06:57 PM
Little John called the house while I was gone.

He told Norma the surgery went as planned and John was doing well.

I just got off the phone with Little John. He said John is in good spirits and was joking about everyone would have to start calling him "Peg-leg".

He also said John was flirting with the nurses. Imagine that! Surely not our John!

John is in Missouri Baptist Hospital and will be there at least until Wednesday.

Little John says the outpouring of love and concern from the Racing Family has been overwhelming and he asked me to thank everyone of you.

ezryder
02-08-2010, 07:32 PM
Thanks for the update Gene.
Give John my best when you talk to him.
EZ

Gene East
02-09-2010, 06:39 PM
i just got off the phone with John Dortch, Senior not Junior!

He seemed to be in very good spirits. He was laughing and talking about a conversation he had years ago with Lee St. Clair.

Apparently Lee had commented on the fact that his A Looper would idle like a fishing motor.

John told him he wasn't interested in idling. He wanted to go fast!!!

I had to listen closely because his voice was weak, but it was obvious he was pleased that so many people are concerned about him.

Please continue to remember John and his family in your prayers.

Master Oil Racing Team
02-09-2010, 07:19 PM
I agree with what Karen said Gene. Thanks a bunch. Let us know when would be a good time to talk to him on the phone.

Gene East
02-13-2010, 09:06 PM
I talked to John Friday. He was in very good spirits, but he said Thursday was a rough day.

He was talking about being transferred to a different hospital over the weekend.

Little John has promised to keep us updated.

Master Oil Racing Team
02-13-2010, 09:29 PM
Let us know when we can give him a call Gene. Thank you very much for keeping us informed.

Gene East
02-14-2010, 09:13 PM
Talked to "Little John" today.

John is supposed to begin rehab on Monday. Not quite up to a lot of phone calls just yet, but I'm sure he would welcome some cheerful cards. Still in Mo. Baptist but moving to a different room yet to be determined.

Little John will be keeping us posted on his Dad's progress.

Gene East
02-16-2010, 06:05 PM
Just got off the phone with Little John. John is having further surgery on his leg tomorrrow.

I'll keep you informed as Little John updates me.

Keep praying for John!

Gene East
02-18-2010, 06:10 PM
Thursday Feb 18 6:40 PM.

Little John just called. John's second surgery went well. John is in good spirits and is resting well.

The second surgery was needed to provide better tissue for sutures. The sutures from the original surgery were not holding.

Next Thursday, Norma has a followup visit with her surgeon 4 miles from John.

We plan to stop by for a short visit.

I invite all of you to join us in spirit. Since the Dortch family is not on the internet I'm inviting you to e-mail a greeting to John at my address: eastgene@yahoo.com

I will print them and hand deliver your message to "Big John".

Hope I have to buy more paper!!

If you would prefer to send a card by mail, John is in Room 622

Missouri Baptist Medical Center
3015 N. Ballas Rd.
St. Louis,Mo 63131

Jeff Lytle
02-19-2010, 02:48 PM
Well..............We only met once, it was around a campfire in Canandaigua, NY. I was sitting quietly, admiring the flames long after my buddies had gone to bed, just like most had already.

I knew of you, had read all about your racing carreer, but was just a shy kid that sat with you and didn't have much to say.....Kids in awe always seem to act that way.

It was my 2nd year racing, I was 17, I had an old 1958 DeSilva and a Speeditwin. You and your son had new white KR boats and screaming fast Konigs. We were pitted very close to each other, but never spoke......Kids in awe always seem to act that way.

I guess you had noticed the rookie driving the beat up old DeSilva during the past day, cause you were the one to finally break the ice, as you held out your hands to show me, you said: "See these scarred hands? They know Speeditwins and PRs too". We then spoke for quite awhile, and I enjoyed every minute of it.

Through the years that followed, I never forgot the quiet time I sat around the campfire and shared stories with an icon of outboard boat racing.

Please get well soon Johnny........We all need to hear more of your stories!

Gene East
02-21-2010, 01:13 PM
I Just got off the phone with John.

He told me today was one of the best days he's had recently. He was reading some of the cards he's received and I read some of the e-mails that have been sent for him.

He really seemed overjoyed by the words of encouragement he has received from his Racing Family.

I asked if he would like a cold Bud when I come see him Thursday. He said he would, but laughingly reminded me that he is in a Baptist hospital.

Guess that will have to wait.

Keep the cards and e-mails coming. John really enjoys them!

Jeff Lytle
02-21-2010, 03:00 PM
Take him some Becks NA Gene!

Speaking from experience, ( I have 1 "Real" beer a week cause' of my arthritis meds :( ) Becks NA is the best tasting non-alky beer going.

Tim Chance
02-24-2010, 12:07 PM
Wednesday afternoon 2/24/10. Just got home from visiting John at the hospital. We talked for awhile and he can't wait for summer and get to some races.

On the downside he will be in the hospital for quite some time before he begins therapy and he has now had his third surgery on his right leg and this time the leg was removed up near the top of his thigh. But on the upside he seems in very good spirits. You can send cards to him at:

John Dortch
Room 622
Missouri Baptist Hospital
3015 N Ballas Rd.
Saint Louis, MO 63131

Gene East
02-25-2010, 06:58 PM
Norma and I had an absolutely wonderful visit with John earlier this evening.

We talked about the past, we talked about the future. John is planning to be at Depue this summer.

We laughed together, we cried together and just had a great time. John's spirits are extremely high. He really appreciates the cards and prayers and he asked me to thank each of you for him.

I asked him if there was anything else he would like me to tell you.

He said , "Yeah; tell them, Watch out! I'm coming back and if you get in my way, I'll whack you with my crutch"!

Now that's the John Dortch we all know and love!

BTW: John has transferred to the rehab department. He is now in room 1457.

Gene East
03-06-2010, 08:53 PM
Latest update on John.

I talked to both Sr. and Jr. late this afternoon.

John's spirits are high, and the surgical site is healing.

Little John told me they expect to transfer to the rehab facility soon. John is still in Missouri Baptist Medical Center, room 1457 for a few more days.

Big John was talking about playing golf this summer on 1 leg.

If anyone can do it, I'd bet John Dortch can!

Keep praying and keep sending the cards and letters. John really enjoys them.

I was monitoring my e-mail while I was talking on the phone with John this afternoon and up popped a question about John from Joe Rome. I read the message to John.

He told me to tell Joe thanks for the card and that he(John) loves him (Joe). Then he said to thank ALL OF YOU and he loves each of you like family.

jrome
03-07-2010, 07:44 AM
Gene as you well know it is a family. Ihave never been any thing that we had as much fun and have the bond we have with one another. we are family.

Tim Chance
03-09-2010, 02:17 PM
Tuesday 3/9/10, just got back from a visit with John and he is looking and feeling great. He is moving out of the hospital and into a rehab center on Friday.

ezryder
03-09-2010, 04:24 PM
Glad to hear the John is doing better and will shortly be in rehab. That's great news!
EZ

Gene East
03-14-2010, 03:16 PM
Just got off the phone with Little John.

John was supposed to move to a Nursing home/rehab facility on Friday.

That was postponed due to a nausea problem.

Everything looks like a go for the transfer tomorrow morning.

Little John reports his Dad is in good spirits and the surgical wound is healing properly.

He will call me tomorrow evening with an update on the relocation.

I will keep everyone posted.

Gene East
03-16-2010, 05:23 AM
Tuesday morning:

Little John called last night.

John was transferred to the nursing home/rehab facility late yesterday afternoon.

He is considerably closer to home and in a more convenient location to receive visits from his pals from the golf course.

I wonder what kind of tall tales they will be sharing?

If I heard Little John correctly (remember BDOBR's all have hearing problems),
John's new address is:

Mr. John Dortch
Room 705 Bed 1
Brookville at Stonebridge
2963 Doddridge
Maryland Heights, MO 63043

John's phone # is:

314 743 3872

The surgical wound is healing well and doctors plan to fit John with a prosthesis in the near future.

Please keep John and the Dortch family in your prayers.

Tim Chance
03-16-2010, 02:06 PM
Tuesday 3/16/10, just got back from visiting John at his home for the next 3 months or so. Nice place, but John is already to get out and get back to his real home. He is doing ok.

Gene East
03-16-2010, 06:11 PM
Tim,

Is the address I posted correct?

I wasn't able to confirm it on Mapquest or through the yellow pages.

I'm sure I heard Little John correctly, but Norma keeps bugging me about getting hearing aids. What makes her think I need hearing aids??

jrome
03-16-2010, 06:26 PM
I had a good visit with Johnny on the phone about 7 pm.John will be back full speed before we know it. He has the right frame of mind. John loves all his boat racing family. He said to tell everbody hello. GET WELL JOHN

Tim Chance
03-17-2010, 01:23 PM
Tim,

Is the address I posted correct?

I wasn't able to confirm it on Mapquest or through the yellow pages.

I'm sure I heard Little John correctly, but Norma keeps bugging me about getting hearing aids. What makes her think I need hearing aids??

Correct address. And anybody that nods their head in recognition when the words Quincy Flathead is mentioned needs a hearing aid.

Gene East
03-17-2010, 06:48 PM
Thanks Tim,

Deafness is a "Badge of Honor" to a boat racer.

I wear mine with pride!

What did you say?????

Master Oil Racing Team
03-17-2010, 07:50 PM
...! I talked to John earlier today and we talked about the NOA North South races. He told me he once came within just a few points of being General Grant, but he didn't think that would be good, because he moved up from the south to St. Louis area which put him in the North.;):D

Clayton Elmer talked to him the week before, and he said he got a card from BDOBR and was trying to explain it.;) We talked about racers that were in the top of their form when I first started, but quit before I was able to see how I stacked up. I told Johnny that I knew when he started racing, but reading those old Roostertails he sent me before I started, I was absorbed reading about all the places he had raced and all the guys he raced against. Johnny won lot's of races in his day. He told me how he teared up when he looked at all the Roostertails he was packing up to send me. I talked about Dick Pond and he told me stories about him and Dick tangling up in the first turn. Dick always turned left when he got to the bouy, and he always was turning into Johnny. After having torn up 3 boats each....at the start of one race....Dick's sponsor ran down to Johnny's pits and said.."You're not going to run into Dick's boat are you?" Johnny replied "Well....I can't say!...If Dick turns in front of where I'm going...then there's nothing I can do about that!".

Johnny had family members in his room that he was talking back and forth with so I left him with the fact that I would call back.

Doug Hall Y51
03-18-2010, 02:47 PM
I also talked to John today. He sounded like he was in good spirits but you could tell he was not enjoying his stay. He told me the rehab place he was at was where they send the old people and he should not be there. Keep John in your prayers that he will be able to go home soon. He is very much looking forward to going to Depue in July.

Gene East
03-25-2010, 03:29 AM
Little John called last night. John was transferred back to Missouri Baptist hospital Tuesday with nausea problems.

This began Saturday and got progressively worse. I was talking with John on the phone Sunday evening when he became nauseated to the point he had to hang up the phone.

John was in ICU for a while, but is now in room 1357.

He asked Little John to apologize to me for hanging up Sunday.

No need to apologize old friend. All your BDOBR buddies are praying for your full recovery!

Hang tough John!

Gene East
03-31-2010, 06:48 PM
Latest update from Little John.

John has kicked the stomach ailment that had him down last week. He has been released from the hospital and is now a resident at Delmar Gardens of Chesterfield.

Little John has a friend on staff there who will insure John gets the best of care.

His new address is:

Mr. John Dortch
Room 704 Bed 1
Delmar Gardens of Chesterfield
14855 N. Outer Forty Rd.
Chesterfield, MO 63017

Phone# 636 733 2306

Tim Chance visited with John today and reports he is in good spirits.

Gene East
04-01-2010, 06:33 PM
Norma had a Dr. appointmment in STL today that went very well.

We stopped by to visit with John for a while.That visit went extremely well. I haven't seen John looking so well or seeming so upbeat for quite some time.

When we arrived, he was sitting in his wheel chair looking out at all the flowers in bloom. He commented on how beautiful the jonquils were and that Liz loved jonquils.

I held his hand and said, "There are jonquils in heaven", He smiled with tears in his eyes and simply said, "Yes".

John always gives a history lesson during our visits. I wish we could get him "computerized" and online with us but I don't see that happening.

John does enjoy the cards and phone calls he receives from his racing buddies, but we talked more about duck hunting than racing today.

John did tell me very emphatically, "I WILL BE AT DEPUE"! Then he said I could buy him a taco and something to wash it down.

I wonder what he meant by that???????

Jeff Lytle
04-01-2010, 07:16 PM
A beautiful reflection Gene...........Thanks from all of us.

Gene East
04-10-2010, 07:45 PM
John called today.

He's moved again! This time just down the hall from room 704 to room 706.

He had referred to 704 as a postage stamp. I hope 706 is a little larger.

Address still the same:

Delmar Gardens of Chesterfield
14855 N. Outer Forty Rd.
Chesterfield, MO 63017

New phone #: 636 733 3335

Gene East
04-19-2010, 03:37 AM
Karen Cadle reminded me I failed to put John's nursing home's street address in my last post.

That has been corrected by editing the earlier post:

Norma and I were in St. Louis over the weekend for the 20 inning Cardinal/Mets baseball game.

We planned to visit John on our way home Sunday afternoon.

However, we woke up Sunday morning with what could best be described as a 24 hour bug.

Rather than spread our germs around the nursing facility, we decided it would be best to come home.

John enjoys recieving cards and phone calls from his boat racing buddies.

He also needs our prayers.

Tim Chance
04-28-2010, 02:07 PM
I visited with John yesterday and he looks great and is in great spirits.

F-12
04-28-2010, 02:13 PM
Thanks for the update, Tim and Karen. I have been very lax on checking in with him and it's good to hear he is doing well. I will be back this weekend and will try to call..............

Tim Chance
05-05-2010, 02:19 PM
Wednesday 5/5/2010. John is doing very well. He took three steps with his new leg for me and I told him that I thought he would be able to walk from the Pavilion to the VFW hall in Depue this summer. He told me either that or on a scooter. I've attached some photos, two of John showing off his new leg and the other walking on it.

F-12
05-05-2010, 02:25 PM
Go John..........I look forward to taking that stroll to the VFW with you this summer.

Gene East
05-05-2010, 06:02 PM
Wednesday 5/5/2010. John is doing very well. He took three steps with his new leg for me and I told him that I thought he would be able to walk from the Pavilion to the VFW hall in Depue this summer. He told me either that or on a scooter. I've attached some photos, two of John showing off his new leg and the other walking on it.

Tim,

Thanks for posting this! All of John's friends will be excited about this!

When I last talked to John he told me how faithful you've been in visiting him and how much he appreciates that.

Those of us who are not able to visit with him as often as you want to thank you as well

Tim Chance
05-26-2010, 03:10 PM
I just stopped by to see John at the convalescence home and he is back in the hospital. I know nothing more than that. I will try and find out how he is and post it here.

ezryder
05-26-2010, 03:21 PM
Hi Tim,
I hate to hear that! Keep us posted.
ezryder

Tim Chance
05-26-2010, 07:03 PM
I just talked to John II on the phone and he told me that his dad just had a little setback and he will be out of the hospital and back in rehab in a couple of days.

John is tough. He WILL walk from the pits to the VFW hall during the Pro Nationals in Depue.

Tim Chance
06-09-2010, 10:15 AM
Wednesday 6/9/10. Just got back from a visit with John. Looks great! Good attitude! Walking on a treadmill! He will be at the Nationals in Depue this July!

Allen J. Lang
06-09-2010, 10:59 AM
Thanks Tim for the update :)

ezryder
06-09-2010, 04:10 PM
Wednesday 6/9/10. Just got back from a visit with John. Looks great! Good attitude! Walking on a treadmill! He will be at the Nationals in Depue this July!

Hi Tim,
That's great to hear!
ez

Gene East
06-09-2010, 07:44 PM
Nine men from our church (Bethel Assemby of God) spent last Friday and Saturday on a fishing trip in Missouri.

I was teamed with Dave Goodwin, a Marine who lost his right leg in Viet Nam. The area of his amputation is identical to John's.

The weather was terrible. Heavy rain, high wind and tornado warnings Friday evening and rain all day Saturday. We were nearly struck by lightning so we spent most of the time at the lodge just talking and eating fish from the freezer.

The nine of us caught a total of 13 fish the entire weekend. Dave and I caught nothing, but we had a great time none the less.

Dave has determination that won't quit and he is an inspiration to everyone who knows him.

He pitches for our church softball team which BTW won the Church League Championship last year with an unbeaten record.

Not even the Baptists could beat Dave!

I'm embarrassed that Dave does everything he does with just 1 leg and I let a bum back hold me down.

We talked a great deal about John's situation. I explained how determined John is to be at DePue.

Dave says attitude is everything when dealing with the loss of a limb. He also said although he doesn't know John, based on what he has heard; he has no doubts that John WILL do everything he sets his mind to.

Guess what Dave, those of us who DO KNOW John agree with you

Gene East
06-11-2010, 03:32 PM
Got a call from Joe Rome stating he can't reach John at the phone number listed in an earlier post.

That's because he's moved again, same nursing home but different room.

Room phone: 636 733 9034

Cell phone: 314 974 2215

John is out of the room for therapy often, so if you miss him , keep trying.

Gene East
06-20-2010, 07:18 PM
Great news!

Just talked with John earlier tonight.

I haven't heard him so upbeat in months.

Little John has been working hard to get John's house reworked for his special needs, building wheelchair ramps and eliminating trip hazards, modifying the bathroom etc.

The house PASSED inspection yesterday and John is expecting to return home Friday.

John told me he held his favorite picture of Liz in his hand today and said, "Honey, It's going to be alright"!

For those of you who have not been to John's house, he has very steep stairs going to his work bench in the basement. He promised me he would not try to go down there.

John is overjoyed at the prospect of going home in just a few days.

F-12
06-21-2010, 04:59 AM
Good news, Gene......Sounds great. Thanks

Gene East
06-22-2010, 04:33 PM
Update 6/22/10

John called this afternoon. He's going home 1:30 PM Friday!!

He will continue therapy as an out patient, but he'll be sleeping in his own bed!

John's address is the same as it's been for 56 years:

10420 Driver
Overland, MO

Home phone:

314 428 9918

Welcome home John!!

See you at DePue!

jrome
06-22-2010, 06:18 PM
I talked to john today also and he did sound great. He is happy about going home. Great news.

Tim Chance
06-30-2010, 12:45 PM
6/30/10 Just back from visiting John at his home. Home as in his house where he has lived for the past 50 years or so. He is doing very well and looking forward to going to the Nationals next month.

Gene East
06-30-2010, 07:42 PM
I've been off line for several days due to a storm.

Friday Norma and I went to St. Louis on a bus tour to see "Beauty and the Beast". I was the only man on the bus. Even the driver was a woman.

We passed the nursing home where John had been living about 5:00 pm. Knowing he had gone home just hours earlier I called the house. With all those females on the bus I couldn't hear a thing.

Called back when we got to the theater and found a nice quiet place to call from (the men's room)!

Little John answered. Big John was on the cell phone. They traded phones and I got to talk to one of the happiest men on the face of this planet.

JOHN IS HOME!!!

Master Oil Racing Team
06-30-2010, 08:17 PM
I'm so glad to hear what you say about John and how he's doing Gene. I been fighting a storm myself and will try to call Johnny tommorrow.

What I want to know is about your bus trip to "Beauty and the Beast". Were you doing Community Service?;):D

Gene East
07-01-2010, 01:29 AM
Marriage is a 2 way street.

I tolerate her craft shows and theater trips. She tolerates my fishing and boat racing.

Fortunately we both are Cardinals fans.

Master Oil Racing Team
07-01-2010, 08:08 AM
Good attitude. Good tradeoffs.:cool:

Gene East
07-31-2010, 06:21 PM
John was at DePue today just like he said he would be. He really seemed to have a great time visiting with old friends.

Ray Rodda announced John was in the pits and gave the spectators a little history of John's racing career.

Lot of the old guys there today including Charlie Strang looking not a day older than he did 25 years ago.

Artie Neadeck was helping in the pits for Kugler today even though he's scheduled for back surgery on Monday.

I understand where he's coming from however. I believe my racing involvement is now "spectator only" due to my back. That's something I'm having trouble dealing with.

Amateur Photog
07-31-2010, 08:19 PM
Just wanted to share this with you all.

Gene East
08-15-2010, 06:40 PM
I talked to John today. He took delivery of an electric scooter this weekend.

How long do you suppose it will take him to retro-fit it with a full house 50cc 2 stroke and go charging up and down the streets of Overland.

Gene East
08-22-2010, 08:01 AM
I just received the phone call I have been dreading.

Little John called just moments ago to say John Is now reunited with Liz at Lake Paradise.

John fell Friday and broke his good leg. He passed away last night.

I will keep you posted as I hear further from Little John.

John's last few weeks were happy times. He got to come home and he got to make one last trip to DePue.

Boat racing has lost one of our true ambassadors.

F-12
08-22-2010, 08:38 AM
We lost a good one............Lake Paradise has another winner on her shores. Rest in Peace Big John. You are already missed.

Master Oil Racing Team
08-22-2010, 12:35 PM
Oh no! Oh no! Joe called me a little while ago. Not now! Not when everything seemed to be coming around. God bless you Little John and all the rest of the family.

Steve Litzell
08-22-2010, 02:10 PM
Damn, what can I say? It was good to see Lil John and big John at DePue as Big John and I had a nice chat. So sorry to hear the news. I will always remember John's and my racing against one another and the good times he and liz and I shared over the years he will be sadly missed by this old boy:(:(:(:(:(

Duke Johnson
08-22-2010, 05:16 PM
So happy to see John & John Jr at DePue, but thinking now of how John & Liz will be missed,
thanks for all you did for Pro Outboard Racing for all of us. Duke S-79

Jeff Lytle
08-22-2010, 07:29 PM
People say I have a different way of looking at things, often making sure people see the good along with the bad..........

When Johns beloved Liz passed away, I wondered how long he would be able to cope with her loss after being together for so long.......Then came the setbacks, one after another and another.

I always thought of it this way; The almighty was testing John, allowing him to join Liz any time he wanted to, right from the very beginning.
Being the tough ol' guy he was, he still had something to prove to himself and he carried on, pushing himself to go above and beyond what the mere mortal could endure.
He proved that to us again and again, and that's a fact.

When I heard his plans to retun to DePue, I think he knew it would be his last time.
I was thrilled to learn his dream became a reality, and he was able to return once again and share his presence and strength with all.
I'm sure he was touched with the love of so many who came to give their well wishes.

Again, he proved to us all that he was someone we all dream we could be.
Only after seeing that all his hopes and wishes we all now in order, did he allow himself to leave this place to be one with God and his Liz, for now and evermore.

My condoleces to the Dortch family.

Master Oil Racing Team
08-22-2010, 08:47 PM
I had a lot of similar thoughts you had Jeff although you have expressed it with more clarity. I expect that Liz gave Ray Yates a great big hug when he arrived at Lake Paradise. When Big John broke his good leg, his Godly spirit took him to the place to where he could give Liz a hug and kiss and then ask Ray and Liz to show him around,

John Schubert T*A*R*T
08-23-2010, 05:47 AM
I was truly saddened late yesterday to receive the e-mail message that John had passed. I'm so grateful that I had the opportunity to visit with John at Depue a few weeks ago, who was in great spirits & kidding with everyone. As Jeff so eloquently stated, falling & breaking his good leg must of taken all the spirit he had left.

Rest in piece my good friend.

ezryder
08-23-2010, 08:56 AM
I echo John's comments exactly!
Very sad to hear!
RIP Johnny! I'm sure your gonna enjoy Lake Paradise! You
don't even have to shut off for turn one --- you can take it WFO!
God Bless!
George

Bill Van Steenwyk
08-23-2010, 01:40 PM
Wayne Baldwin started a thread on BRF dated 4-2-2005 entitled "Lone Star Boat Racing Association". In post #30 is a great picture of John sitting on someone's trailer with a quite large "texas size" trophy he won, maybe high point for that race, or some sort of Texas Championship award. Would be great if Wayne or someone else could repost that photo on this thread, showing that great picture of John in his racing days.

Gene East
08-23-2010, 03:21 PM
Rex Hall has posted funeral information on Hydroracer.

1:00 to 3:00 Saturday at Bauman Funeral home in Overland.

That's all I know at this time

jrome
08-23-2010, 04:30 PM
This is a good picture of John when he won High Point Trophy in Corpus Christi.I talked to him last week, everything was great. This proves that we never will know what tomorrow will bring.

Master Oil Racing Team
08-23-2010, 06:18 PM
I talked to John several times when Liz was having problems, and in fact talked to Liz for awhile. She sent me her Lone Star Boat Racing Association windbreaker which I have hanging in the boat racing room. I was worried about John after Liz was gone and he had gotten into some serious health problems. I talked to him a couple of times after that, and he was in such good spirits, it was a surprise to end like this. But I like to think that Johnny is telling God about Baldy's BBQ.:cool::D

ADD: I forgot to mention that the photo of Johhny was of him winning high point at a race in my Dad's front yard. They were such good friends. As Joe said today....Johhny would have loved to have been a Texan. He came and raced with us as often as he could. I remember one race he came into my room on the other side of the carport to listen to me play my guitar. He said he liked it. (can't do the rolleyes on the edit) Oh well. We will miss a legend.

Gene East
08-25-2010, 07:10 PM
Just got off the phone with John Jr. He has been going through his Dad's personal effects today.

He says he can hear Big John say, "Keep that! Throw that away!"

I still talk to my Dad even though he's been gone 42 years. I hope all of you can enjoy that same special bond.

John Sr. told me some time back there was a side by side .410 shotgun some where in the house that he couldn't find. I mentioned that to John Jr. tonight.

He said, "I found it! Dad gave me one just like it for my 12th birthday. Now I have a matched pair"!

Only someone who has known the joy of hunting with his Dad can understand how special this little gun is. Anti-gun fanatics will never receive an apology from any of us!

I grew up hunting with my Dad and I have hunted with Big John. I hold those memories dear.

John Jr. is doing well. He said as he goes through Big John's belongings it's both laughter and tears.

Little John (this is the last time I will call you that), your Dad has provided his many friends with much laughter over his lifetime and now we share your tears

Master Oil Racing Team
08-25-2010, 08:12 PM
Thanks for that Gene. John loved to come hunt birds with my Dad. We always considered him an honorary Texan. And he wore his cowboy hat proudly. I had planned to post some photos and do a tribute to Ray Yates, then Johnny's death surprised us, I have some stuff to post about Johnny to give tribute to them both.

Gene East
08-28-2010, 05:12 PM
Thanks for that Gene. John loved to come hunt birds with my Dad. We always considered him an honorary Texan. And he wore his cowboy hat proudly. I had planned to post some photos and do a tribute to Ray Yates, then Johnny's death surprised us, I have some stuff to post about Johnny to give tribute to them both.

Wayne,

Don't you and/or Joe have enough clout in Austin to have John declared an "Honorary Texan"?

Tim Chance
08-28-2010, 06:10 PM
I said good bye to John today, for the last time.............ever. Gene, Rich, Rex, Alan, Jim, Barry, and others said good bye too. An iron man, a Champion, a sportsman, I'm proud that we called each other friends. Good Bye John...................

Gene East
08-28-2010, 07:46 PM
Quite a few boat racers were there, plus the carpenter's union was also well represented.

John was a member of the carpenter's union over 50 years. At one time he even served as president of the local.

Did you ever wonder how John could tear up a boat on Sunday and have it back on the water the following Saturday?

He was a woodworker all his adult life!!

I understand the Chief Referee at Lake Paradise is also a carpenter.

Barry Anderson and I each gave a brief eulogy at the services; and yes, we both choked up. As Tim said, we were saying goodby for the last time in this world.

Rest in peace my friend till we meet again!

Master Oil Racing Team
09-04-2010, 06:07 PM
Gene...I talked to Joe today to see if my memory served me correctly. He confirmed what I remembered. Joe said "We don't need no stinkin' govner to make Johnny a Texan!" Just like I thought, when Joe was Commodore of the Lone Star Boat Racing Association, we made Johnny Dortch an honorary Texan in 1974.

Jeff Lytle
09-08-2010, 12:25 PM
I don't know a boat racer who wouldn't think Joe's way!

jrome
09-08-2010, 02:28 PM
When wayne jumped the gun in ft. Worth at the of world championship. We still kid about that one., nobody will be able to say i didnt throw my best friend out. We agree to disagree on that start.

Master Oil Racing Team
09-08-2010, 03:05 PM
Joe...Jeff is talking about a fact of life and a way of thinking....which I do agree with your way. He's not talking about an honest mistake you happened to make one time.;):D

P.S. You shoudda been looking out yer right eye stead of your left eye.:D

Gene East
10-15-2010, 09:31 AM
John Jr. is sitting here beside me. He just brought his Dad's trophies for John Herberg to pick up tommorow.

There are 99 trophies in the collection.How special is that? Old # 99 has 99 trophies. That gives me goosebumps

John doesn't type and doesn't not get along with computers very well.

He says to tell all of you "Hi" and thanks for all your cards and letters and your prayers.

He asks that you keep the Dortch family in your thoughts.

John is going deer hunting tomorrow. He said the next 32 hours are going to be just him by himself for the first time in quite some time. He will be hunting from his Dad's favorite stand. Some how I don't beleive he will be alone!

John asked me to thank all of you again and to tell you he is doing fine. He added so are Mom and Dad.

j

ezryder
10-15-2010, 04:54 PM
Hi Gene,
Give John Jr my regards. And tell him who I am -- out of his dad's past.
And let him know how lucky he was to have his dad and mom around for so many years.
I lost my dad at Daytona in a crash on lake Lloyd at the Daytona International Speedway in 1959. I was 18 at the time.
You know the story Gene.
Regards,
George