PDA

View Full Version : Phil O'Berry

boatmark59
02-12-2010, 03:26 PM
Has anyone seen or heard of Phil O'Berry in recent times?

Phil ran an OMC dealership on the water in Solomans Island Maryland for years. Ran some nice OMC stuff with Rudy Foote and Randy Gore as drivers.
I lived in that area in the late 90's and used to see him occasionally, but he closed up shop after I saw him last and I am curious where he ended up.

Danny Pigott
02-12-2010, 05:08 PM
From what i heard he passed away a few years ago . I once drove a few boat's for him in the mid 70's nice guy

boatmark59
02-13-2010, 04:11 PM
Sorry to hear that, but thanks for the update.

He was a good guy helped a lot of people both in racing, and his dealership. A lot of little kids in the neighborhood got their ancient little motors fixed in exchange for washing his truck or sweeping the floors. He kept a pile of old junk motors to scavenge parts from for just this purpose. Always said he thought out in a skiff with a fishing pole was a great place for kids to stay out of trouble.

R.I.P. Fabulous Famous Fast Phil

RogerH
02-14-2010, 06:37 PM
I am nearing the completion of the O'Berry Marine Molinari / Johnson RS tunnel hull (#84 & #60). It was driven by Rudy Foote and Randy Gore. I hope to have the rig completed early this Spring. Steve Larkin has provided a lot of information concerning the boat, but I would appreciate any additional information about the people and the boat.
Regards,
Roger Hinsdale hinsdale@bellsouth.net

boatmark59
02-14-2010, 09:25 PM
Wow, if that is the boat I think it is, it goes back a looong ways. I'm gonna have to think about this one for a while, and dig for some pictures.

My best recollation is of someone blowing this boat over. Randy I think. I was from Florida (as was Randy) I can only remember Rudy coming south once during that period (very late seventies). For that matter Phil only came down on occasion. Phil was going gung ho at that time and had trucks, boats, trailers, kids, and probably the dog painted up in the Johnson Outboard colors. I remember them being at Lake Alfred with that rig, but don't think that is where it went over.

Randy ran another boat that belonged to Phil but stayed in Florida . . . I can remember Lawrence Enzweiller having to deck it as I think Rudy had crashed it, but I don't think it was that boat.

Randy Gore shows up on this forum occasionally, and would be a great source to sort out the timeline. In the meantime I'll see if I can find any pictures and jog some memories.

Popa Sam
02-15-2010, 06:20 AM
I remember Rudy blowing one over at Eufaula in the 70's. I think it was a V4 class. Could it have been the same boat?

RogerH
02-15-2010, 07:51 AM
Boatmark59 & Popa Sam,
Both of you are correct as Rudy blew the boat over at Eufaula and then Randy did the same thing at WinterHaven (I think). I believe the boat always had a Johnson V6 on it as best I can tell from the pictures I have and the marks on the transom. According to Steve Larkin the boat didn't see a lot of water time and was known to be "flighty".
I had someone who attempted to put me in contact with Rudy and I haven't been able to get a response on the forum from Randy. We (Gary Pugh) will be putting the finishing touches on the new decks Tuesday and will start the re-rigging and painting of the boat soon. Took the dimensions from John Hervat's paint job and will try to replicate it.
Here's a couple of pictures I have. Steve also sent me some pictures of he and Rudy with the boat in the trailer (not posted). One shows the boat with #86 (Rudy) and the 2nd with #60 (Randy). The 2nd picture shows the restored RS on the boat before restoration. The boat had a sizable gash in the front left sponson, but otherwise we found the structure to be in excellent condition. The decks had to be replaced because it was stored outside for many years. I purchased the boat in upstate NY.
My plans are to run this boat at various Vintage events. Information is always welcome!!!
Regards,
Roger Hinsdale 423-452-0428 hinsdale@bellsouth.net

RogerH
02-15-2010, 08:00 AM
I remember Rudy blowing one over at Eufaula in the 70's. I think it was a V4 class. Could it have been the same boat?

Sam, Were you the person who called Gary Pugh's shop last week? We were there working on the boat at the time. Gary mentioned that "his friend Sam" was a great mentor to him when he started in OPC. I missed your last name - just remembered it began with "H" I think. This is the 2nd boat that Gary has re-decked for me, and I'm really pleased to have met Gary and experienced his friendship and workmanship.

It was almost comical to see our 7-liter Staudacher hydro (23') crammed into Gary shop. We got-er-done though.

Popa Sam
02-15-2010, 01:54 PM
Sam, Were you the person who called Gary Pugh's shop last week? We were there working on the boat at the time. Gary mentioned that "his friend Sam" was a great mentor to him when he started in OPC. I missed your last name - just remembered it began with "H" I think. This is the 2nd boat that Gary has re-decked for me, and I'm really pleased to have met Gary and experienced his friendship and workmanship.

It was almost comical to see our 7-liter Staudacher hydro (23') crammed into Gary shop. We got-er-done though.

Yep, that was me. Ask Gary about the first tunnel boat, other than 45, he built in his old shop.

RogerH
02-15-2010, 02:15 PM
For conversation sake, here's a shot of Rudy and Steve with the 89 Molinari behind them in the trailer. I've done the mid and pan in black. Wish I had seen this picture before powder coating them. It actually looks better black I think.

RogerH
02-15-2010, 02:24 PM
Here's a much later O'Berry boat that I came across. I note it is also painted by John Hervat and in general, has a similar paint theme. Anyone know who drove this boat for Phil? Did Phil or his brother drive any of the boats?

Popa Sam
02-15-2010, 02:42 PM
440 is Sam Labanco.

RogerH
02-15-2010, 03:12 PM
440 is Sam Labanco.

Sam, What class is this boat? - V4 or V6

boatmark59
02-15-2010, 03:53 PM
I was thinking that Rudy had passed away, but if someone is trying to put you in touch with him, I guess happily I was wrong.

Randy popped up here, and I too e-mailed him just to catch up, but didn't get any response.

Randy going over I was thinking was Lake Alfred, but very well could have been Winter Haven. That little lake in Winter Haven would have been an adventure with a Mod-U boat with "flighty" handling.

Randy's best crash was peeling an entire sponson off a brand new Burgess during a clock start in Stuart. I mean like five minutes running time new! All in one piece deck and all. I saw the fork come through the rooster tail and thought he was blowing over, then realized it was only ONE fork. When the spray clear there was Igore plowing along on the tunnel towards the beach with a "what the F***" look on his face. Sorry to get off subject, but just thought about it.

boatmark59
02-15-2010, 03:56 PM
440 is an SST-60 boat. 3cyl. OMC

RogerH
02-15-2010, 05:27 PM
You very well may be correct about it being Lake Alfred as Steve Larkin wasn't that sure about the location. Thanks for all the info!
Roger

I was thinking that Rudy had passed away, but if someone is trying to put you in touch with him, I guess happily I was wrong.

Randy popped up here, and I too e-mailed him just to catch up, but didn't get any response.

Randy going over I was thinking was Lake Alfred, but very well could have been Winter Haven. That little lake in Winter Haven would have been an adventure with a Mod-U boat with "flighty" handling.

Randy's best crash was peeling an entire sponson off a brand new Burgess during a clock start in Stuart. I mean like five minutes running time new! All in one piece deck and all. I saw the fork come through the rooster tail and thought he was blowing over, then realized it was only ONE fork. When the spray clear there was Igore plowing along on the tunnel towards the beach with a "what the F***" look on his face. Sorry to get off subject, but just thought about it.

Beale Tilton
02-16-2010, 11:16 PM
Roger,
I had someone that was supposed to relay a message to Rudy to contact you. Guess it never happen. After reading your post I tried information for a number. There is a Edwin R (Rudy) Foote in Calvert County, Md with an unlisted number. I was told he works for the post office. Suggest you try a letter to the following PO in the area, Dowell, Lusby, St. Leonard, Solomons.
Maybe he will respond.
In regard to Phil or Bill driving. Bill was always into drag racing. We built Phil an E & T V bottom the first year of the Johnson 3 cylinder 55 which he himself raced. I don't remember him racing anything else.
Phil saved my bacon one Saturday in Febuary. We were testing a J Production boat we were developing on the Paxutent River. Our shop was across the river from Solomons. It was cold enough to have ice in the center of the v. As I set the boat and turned left it flat spun and ejected me stage right. I swan. shivered my way back and climbed over the bow. The boat was about half full of water and the engine was in the tilt up position (no trim allowed in those days). I made the decision to attempt to run to back, drop the engine and hopefully jump back without sinking. Then I realized I had no gearcase, it had sheared off. Phil had seen and heard us running, not many dummies running on a day like that. Lucky for me Phil came over and picked me up and took me to the ramp. By the time I got there my clothes were frozen. A father and son fishing were nice enough to tow the boat in.
The word spread through the Southern Maryland Boat Club quickly and a large party took place. So happen I had my second date with my future wife that night. Still married me and still married.

T2x
02-17-2010, 06:09 AM
Roger,
I had someone that was supposed to relay a message to Rudy to contact you. Guess it never happen. After reading your post I tried information for a number. There is a Edwin R (Rudy) Foote in Calvert County, Md with an unlisted number. I was told he works for the post office. Suggest you try a letter to the following PO in the area, Dowell, Lusby, St. Leonard, Solomons.
Maybe he will respond.
In regard to Phil or Bill driving. Bill was always into drag racing. We built Phil an E & T V bottom the first year of the Johnson 3 cylinder 55 which he himself raced. I don't remember him racing anything else.
Phil saved my bacon one Saturday in Febuary. We were testing a J Production boat we were developing on the Paxutent River. Our shop was across the river from Solomons. It was cold enough to have ice in the center of the v. As I set the boat and turned left it flat spun and ejected me stage right. I swan. shivered my way back and climbed over the bow. The boat was about half full of water and the engine was in the tilt up position (no trim allowed in those days). I made the decision to attempt to run to back, drop the engine and hopefully jump back without sinking. Then I realized I had no gearcase, it had sheared off. Phil had seen and heard us running, not many dummies running on a day like that. Lucky for me Phil came over and picked me up and took me to the ramp. By the time I got there my clothes were frozen. A father and son fishing were nice enough to tow the boat in.
The word spread through the Southern Maryland Boat Club quickly and a large party took place. So happen I had my second date with my future wife that night. Still married me and still married.

Beale:

Was Rudy a member of the old "Speedmasters" racing team out of Maryland?

T2x

Beale Tilton
02-17-2010, 07:24 AM
Don't know if he was a member of the Speedmasters or not. Of course he was friends with the members as all of us in the Southern MD. Boat Club were. Rudy was a member of SMBC in his early career. I stopped racing the end of '73 and moved to FL. in '78, lost close contact with most of the guys. Usually I go back for a long weekend in the summer and run a few laps with some of the guys.
When did you start? About the time I was getting out?

Master Oil Racing Team
02-17-2010, 08:03 AM
That is a great story Beale.

RogerH
02-17-2010, 03:59 PM
Nifty story - fortunately with a good ending. Last week our neighbor had to go "save" two young duck hunters whos John Boat (they ought to be outlawed) had capsized mid way out in the TN river. They had been out there for about a half hour and they were scared to death. It's been unusually cold here this winter and they were definitely lucky! Would love to hear from Rudy or Randy. Both seem to be AWOL.

The Molinari is back home from Gary Pugh's shop with its new decks and a few other things fixed as well. Will be getting it ready for paint starting tomorrow.

Thanks everyone for the info! - Roger

Danny Pigott
02-17-2010, 05:55 PM
Here's a little story about Phil. In the mid 70's Phil came to visit D.F. Jenkins at his home on John's Island S.C. we were all going to Miami for the Feb. race I think it was called the 225. While in D.F.'s shop Phil started talking about the South, even if he was from M.D He told D.F. that all the people down here did was sell moonshine for a living. A lot of people really thought this was true, and I guess It could have been some truth to it. D.F. looked at phil and said you ever tasted Moonshine, Phil said no, D.F. said you want to taste some and Phil said you got some, D.F. said why I sure do, an reached in the paint locker and got a pint jar out, he told Phil here take a drink, Phil said you must be crazy D.F. I not drinking that it could be paint thinner. D.F. takes a drink out of the jar an hand's it to me and I do the same D.F. said see its the real stuff Phil. Now Phil is ready to be brave and take's a little drink and started to spit an sputter like an old Johnson in the winter time. His face turned red more than normal and he said I think you are trying to kill me D.F. an so Phil had a little taste of the South, we all went to the race an had a great time.

Master Oil Racing Team
02-17-2010, 06:12 PM
That is a good story too Danny. When I was a kid, and I might add before the PC gestapos forced their way into town, I remember cartoons of St Bernard dogs saving frozen people. Disney did some too. I bet Beale might have welcomed some of that hospitality after having been swimming amongst the ice for a little bit.;):D

Beale Tilton
02-17-2010, 07:30 PM
Correct again Wayne. Started with a quart of Windsor Canadian at the ramp.
Continued at my home with the beforemention party at my home. Seems most ramps in Southern Md. those days were owned by bars. Don't think the cold was the reason for feeling bad the next morning.
If I did that today I'd feel bad for a week.

RogerH
02-28-2010, 05:11 PM
I've been inquiring about the Oberry Marine Molinari (#86 & #60) for some time now. It just occurred to me that I have never seen a picture of Phil O'Berry. Anyone have one?
Thanks,
Roger

Danny Pigott
03-14-2010, 09:22 PM
Roger, the guy in the white pants is Phil O'Berry, this is the only pic i have of him.Lady in red shorts is DF Jenkins wife Hilma, dad is leaning on boat. This is a Cougar tunnel I drove in 74. This pic is in Charleston SC 75. I tested the boat for Phil. My boat is behind blue truck. we are leaving for Miami 1975 Nat's after this test, Rudy will drive this boat at the race.

PIP
03-17-2010, 05:49 AM
I Knew Phil Pretty Well Growing Up (i Was A Kid). I Still Have An Original O'berry Marine Tshirt He Gave Me, Brand New, Never Worn. Its Pretty Neat.

Ruddy Is Stile Alive And Well, He Came Into My Office Not Long Ago. Phils Brother, Bill, Is Still Living, And Is Close By To Me. I Stop In And See Him Probably Once A Year. Bill Raced A Little Bit, Way Back. I Could Tell You Some Funny Stories About Phil. He Was Funny. I Still Have Some Old "floating Buoy" Key Chains Marked Oberry Marine. Phil Died, Probably 7 Years Ago Now. I Went To School With His Youngest Daughter, And She Lives Close By.

I Remember Those Boats He Had, And He Even Had A Little Wooden 15 Hp Powered Wood Hydro In His Showroom For A While, Back In, About 1986. I'm One Of The Kids He Helped Get Stuff With Little Money. I Needed A Part For My 115 Crossflow On My 15 Hydrostream And He Said "$40, Or $15 And Go To Angela's And Get Me A Chicken Salad Sandwich And Chocolate Milk Shake. You Can Take My Truck." I Did It. On Another Occasion, He Had Me Pick Up Some Stuff From His House In Exchange For Parts. I Was A Little Kid When He Gave Me My First Snap-on Wrench. I Was About 6 Years Old. I Still Have It. He Would Let Me Borrow Tools, Even Though The Big Spray Painting On The Wall Said "don't Ask To Borrow Our Tools". He Knew My Dad All The Way Back To About 1962, When My Dad Moved Here, Before I Was Born. They Were Into Fast Cars And Were Good Friends. Foote Had A 69 Camaro With A Built 427/425. It Was Fast. Phils Brother Bill Was Into Fast Cars, Still Is, But Recently Had An Arm Amputated, So Isn't Wrenching On The Stuff Like He Used To. Bill Still Lives In The Old Family House On Solomons, Overlooking The Water, Beautiful Spot. I Can Probably Post A Pic Of The T-shirt If You Want For A Copy, In Caseyou Want To Reproduce It To Wear When Using Your Oberry Boat. I Probably Have Some Old Oberry Brochures, Too.

Thanks

Ronny Jetmore
410 394 9000

PIP
03-17-2010, 05:52 AM
I Am Sure I Ca N Get A Pic Of Phil Pretty Easily. My Aunt Used To Date Him 25 Years Ago.
Rj

RogerH
03-17-2010, 12:42 PM
I Am Sure I Ca N Get A Pic Of Phil Pretty Easily. My Aunt Used To Date Him 25 Years Ago.
Rj

Ronnie and Danny,
I want to thank both of you for taking the time to post the information about Phil O'Berry. Ronnie, Thankyou for the call today. I greatly appreciate the information and potential to talk with other associated with Phil and the #86/#60 O'Berry Marine Molinari.
The boat is nearing completion and I hope to hear it start and run next week after I get back from the Vintage race in Tavares FL. Just couldn't get everything done for this race. It certainly wouldn't have been painted yet, so didn't want to display the boat in various renditions of primer. All of the electrical / mechanical aspects of the boat are complete. Just finishing up the Hyd. trim and lift lines.
I really think that John Hervat ought to paint this boat one more time!
Regards,
Roger

brichter
03-17-2010, 06:29 PM
......should still be around, pulled up alongside me at a stop light in Kenosha about 6 months ago.

PIP
05-18-2010, 04:55 AM
Roger,

I Talked To Bill Oberry (phillips Brother) Last Night And He Does Not Have Any Pictures Or Anything Else On This. I Stopped By One Of The Other "old Guys" Houses Last Week And He Was Not Home, And His Number Is Unlisted. Will Try Again. I Sent Rudy Foote A Note To Give Me A Call, As His Number Is Also Impossible To Find. I Will Stop By His House Again Shortly. My Old Man Has Known Him For Over 30 Years, We'll Get Up With Him.

Thanks
Ronny

P.s. Still Interested In The Oberry Hat And Shirt For A Pattern? Am Happy To Send To You If You Can Send It Back. Thanks

RogerH
05-18-2010, 06:33 AM
Roger,

I Talked To Bill Oberry (phillips Brother) Last Night And He Does Not Have Any Pictures Or Anything Else On This. I Stopped By One Of The Other "old Guys" Houses Last Week And He Was Not Home, And His Number Is Unlisted. Will Try Again. I Sent Rudy Foote A Note To Give Me A Call, As His Number Is Also Impossible To Find. I Will Stop By His House Again Shortly. My Old Man Has Known Him For Over 30 Years, We'll Get Up With Him.

Thanks
Ronny

P.s. Still Interested In The Oberry Hat And Shirt For A Pattern? Am Happy To Send To You If You Can Send It Back. Thanks

Ronnie, I am especially interested in receiving the hat / shirt for a pattern. I have a good friend & neighbor who has a degree in textile and runs an embrordary business. I'm sure she can duplicate the shirt and hat. Please trust me to return them to you promptly.
Thanks,
Roger
845 Dreamland Road, Spring City, TN 37381

Beale Tilton
06-09-2010, 06:44 PM
Roger,
Sent you a PM, I think, with Rudy's phone number and address.
Beale

Randy Gore
01-20-2011, 07:48 AM
Phil did pass, probably 8 years ago, I went up and visited with him about a week before he headed to Lake Paradise. He was very close to me and I have really missed him, my son's middle name is from him. Never a dull moment with him around!!!

RIP Phil O'Berry

PIP
01-20-2011, 08:07 AM
Hey, randy, did you ever talk to jerry. Remember we talked last year and i gave you jerrys phone number. I send roger hinsdale the o'berry hat and shirt and he did an awesome job making copies. I just came across an old "buoy style" o'berry keychain i am sending roger now to use in the moinari.

You run across any old stuff, please let me know. Pictures, memorobilia, whatever.

Thanks

ronny jetmore
410 394 9000

Randy Gore
01-20-2011, 08:44 AM
Hi Roger

You are correct, Rudy blew over at Eufaula and I went over in St. Pete (one of the giant turn bouy's launched me trying to beat Ken Olson to the line). The boat liked to be flown and had good top end, it did not want to set for the turns and had only fair acceleration. It liked the 1 2/3 mile course (it was fast when you got it to fly) but struggled with the shorter courses.

Randy Gore
01-20-2011, 11:17 AM

Hey Mark

For some reason ALL of my boats seemed to have "flighty" handling....................... Or maybe it was just me. No, the Burgess was not brand new, remember I took it to Ft. Myers a week or two before Stuart to make sure it handled ok, Ted had to be somewhere else and made me promise not to push the envelope without a little time in the boat. We came home with a new Champ Boat World Record for 5 miles in competition on a 1 mile course. Mickey Garrett broke the record in the first heat with his Burgess and I set it higher in the second heat with mine.

In Stuart the look I had on my face was for Billy. We were faster than he was and I had established the inside at the first turn, he cut across me and I went thru his Roostertail right behind his engine, the boat tried to climb it and when I came out the other side the boat slammed down kinda sideways, I thought everything was ok and stepped on the throttle to go catch Billy, but the boat didn't react very well, thats when I realized the whole sponson was gone, but the deck was still there.

I could probably spend all week writing stuff that happened, we had fun!!

Randy

Randy Gore
01-20-2011, 11:29 AM
Hey, randy, did you ever talk to jerry. Remember we talked last year and i gave you jerrys phone number. I send roger hinsdale the o'berry hat and shirt and he did an awesome job making copies. I just came across an old "buoy style" o'berry keychain i am sending roger now to use in the moinari.

You run across any old stuff, please let me know. Pictures, memorobilia, whatever.

Thanks

ronny jetmore
410 394 9000
Hi Ronnie

No, I never did talk to Jerry, I will have to try him again. I don't know if you knew Jeannie (Phils girlfriend for quite some time), but we had her over for dinner last weekend and spent a lot of time catching up. The funny part is she has lived 6 miles from my driveway for quite some time! She emailed yesterday that there is a Regatta in Taveres March of this year and told me that Roger would be there with the Molinari. We definately plan on attending, should be pretty cool!

Randy

PIP
01-20-2011, 11:57 AM
You know, roger told me about a jeannie bowen that knew a lot about the boat, am assuming this is her. I remember now, a "jeannie" being talked about now. I think i remember seeing her years, and years ago.

Solomons classic boat show in may of 2011 that roger might go to, with the molinari. You ought to try to come up then. It would be cool to get some pictures of you and rudy with the boat.

Call anytime
ronny jetmore
410 394 9000

Randy Gore
01-20-2011, 07:41 PM
Roger

Here is a photo of Phil O'Berry I scanned, not sure where we were??

Randy Gore

Randy Gore
01-21-2011, 05:49 AM
I've been inquiring about the Oberry Marine Molinari (#86 & #60) for some time now. It just occurred to me that I have never seen a picture of Phil O'Berry. Anyone have one?
Thanks,
Roger
Roger

Here is another photo of Phil standing next to the boat with Rudy's number on it.

Randy

PIP
01-21-2011, 06:15 AM
thats an oldie there, Randy.

this was before he let his hair grow out. this must be one of the very early race pictures.

ronny

boatmark59
01-21-2011, 08:54 AM
Randy,

Yep, you are correct . . . I had forgotten about running the Naples race, and the back to back records.

I remember Mickey getting the record the first heat, and between heats I swapped the EFI box on your boat to an extra we had set on Hand Grenade, put on what I want to remember as one of Mickey's props, and you went out and took it away from him the second heat.

What I remember most about the Stuart incident was driving home. The sponson wouldn't fit into the box truck without running it through the cab door between the seats . . . I remember thinking if you are driving home from a race, using the sponson tip for an arm-rest in the truck, it cannot have been a good day at the racecourse.

hydroWill
04-20-2014, 01:14 PM
This sure is an old thread, but I just found it and being a new member, it caught my eye and I'm excited as this is a part of my childhood. Ronny , you mentioned a wooden hydro with a 15 hp johnson on it, this was mine, Phil was setting it up for steering/throttle. I was 16 years old at the time I've now talked to both Steve L. and Roger H. about their boats as these were the boats I remember growing up with as a kid, going to see them race at Swanns Pier and of course sitting at Oberry's marine there at Solomons island, Anyway, I'm looking forward to talking with you as well...

Will