PDA

View Full Version : Stuart Mills Some Racing History from Ontario, Canada

Sturacer2
02-12-2010, 04:50 PM
I will set the stage with a reprint from the Maple Leaf Chapter newsletter of Oct 2001.

Sturacer2
02-14-2010, 05:57 AM
Here is a 1953 Classes and Rules sheet.

Sturacer2
02-14-2010, 06:22 AM
A little corner of South West Ontario encompassing Wallaceburg, Chatham, and Sarnia. Including Port Huron and Algonac Michigan was an active area for boat racing. Racing every Monday, Tues, and Wednesday evening started in May and went through Labor Day weekend. We could run 2 heats each of 6 classes outlined on the Classes sheet.
Mostly Downhome style rigs and homebuilt boats. There were always a few "factory" hulls in the mix and as technology and competition advanced so did Rules and Classes to accomodate. Most classes had 4-6 boats per heat. Spectators would line the banks of the Sydneham River downtown and the club would pass the helmet for donations. This was true river racing with single buoy turns and not particularly long straights.
My Dad scratchbuilt every boat he and I raced through the years (1951-1973) as did most of the locals. My first boat was built from Mecanix Illustrated plans.

Allen J. Lang
02-14-2010, 02:01 PM
Hi Stu- Great seeing your postings. Did you get to run against the Smith kids?
From what I understand, some of the guys with Chris Crafts and probably others ran alky.
Ye Olde Desert Geezer Al :cool:

Sturacer2
02-14-2010, 07:09 PM
Nice to hear from you Al. No I didn't get to run with the Smith's. There were quite a few of more notable racers attending, namely Bud Parker, Walt Kade and others from the Port Huron area.
One of Bud's friends was killed testing on the North branch of the river that was our racecourse. I would like to see more info about who that was how it may have come about.
If someone would reveal that story.
Posting another news clipping. My Dad leading the pack.

Master Oil Racing Team
02-14-2010, 07:51 PM
Cool stories. Can't believe how easy and close it was for you guys to race. That first article I had to squint my eyes to read it, but thanks for posting. I hope you have much more to post.

Sturacer2
02-15-2010, 09:44 AM
Part 2 from MLC May 2002
The pic is newsclip of my very first boat. I was 9 yrs old.
LtoR in back Norm "Skinny" Jeffries, Bob Lewis, and Art Delorme (Helmet)the Merc dealer at the time.
"Skinny" was the original owner of the Wilson runabout "Skinnys Scooter" that was presented in posts gone by.

steve jones
02-16-2010, 04:37 PM
The young man who was killed while testing was Tommy Grade, Elmer Grade's nephew, He was testing a A Konig, and put it on the rocks coming out of a turn, he was chewing gum and the impact put it in his wind pipe and he choked. there was just Buzz Litzu and Tommy testing. no other help close by. I think this happened in 1970

steve jones
02-16-2010, 04:49 PM
Hi Stu- Great seeing your postings. Did you get to run against the Smith kids?
From what I understand, some of the guys with Chris Crafts and probably others ran alky.
Ye Olde Desert Geezer Al :cool:

I had Sylvia Smith's B Chris Craft, ( according to the guy I bought it from) But I think it was the different version made by Chris Craft.
I think there were only a few of these motors with racing lower units made. I remember you needed right hand props. I raced it in Wallaceburgh and in St Clair 1968/69. It was not as fast as one on a merc quickie or a 20H
My dad raced with the Smith's in 1948/49
I wish I had that motor today, and my A/B Sid Hornet

steve jones
02-16-2010, 06:55 PM
Some photos from the North Branch of the Sydneham river in Wallaceburgh

Stuart, I hope I didn't hi-jack your thread, I'm sorry if I did

steve jones

Sturacer2
02-16-2010, 08:14 PM
Not a Hijack Steve I was hoping there was more pics out there. Thanks for contributing. Some nice pics. Is that Jim Butlin with the six Merc?
The clip is my Dad, "just an old Farmer".

Lee Holland in Algonac "Mr. Chris Craft" has at least one of the Smith Specials. Check out his website
www.chriscraftoutboards.com

steve jones
02-17-2010, 05:38 AM
Yes that is Jim Butlin in pic 2, and in pic 4,with Fred Ramsey and that fast B Konig he had.

Sturacer2
02-17-2010, 09:44 AM
I remember that B Konig, it was so quiet and very fast. Quite collectible now and very rare in NA.
Fred and his Dad were regulars as were the VanValkenburgs. Did I get the 1968 mailing list to you, I don't remember?
stuie
Here's a pic of Fred at our Banquet and Jerry Dreveny on the left. Jerry is in one of your pics B1 Chris Craft standard stripped down like Hot Rod he was generally dominant in that class.

Andrew 4CE
02-17-2010, 09:56 AM
GREAT STUFF! Keep it coming :)

Mind if I use some of it in our newsletter in the Vintage Viewpoint section? Or would you like to write anything for it?

Examples of the TORC newsletter:
http://hydroplanequebec.com/profil/profiloutboard.htm

At the Dunnville, Ontario race this summer in August the plan is have a party to celebrate CBF's 60th Anniversary... you should come out and bring the photo album!

steve jones
02-17-2010, 07:54 PM
Yes I received the '68 mailing list Thank you
Didnt, Jerry have a brother Frank who raced?
And both were Farmers also??

Sturacer2
02-21-2010, 06:36 AM
Yes I received the '68 mailing list Thank you
Didnt, Jerry have a brother Frank who raced?
And both were Farmers also??

Yes, that is correct. There was a lot of Father/Son teams. Both my brothers and Dad were active at the same time.

Stingray98
03-18-2010, 08:13 PM
Thanks for the posts, my dad raced in some of these races out of Marysville. My dad said he would just drive the boat to race and come home hopefully before it got too dark. I will get with him to see if they have any pics or stories this will be a great starter. By the way, he stated Tom Grade was killed of a ruptured spleen testing a B Konig, I am named after him.

Sturacer2
03-21-2010, 07:27 AM
Thanks for the posts, my dad raced in some of these races out of Marysville. My dad said he would just drive the boat to race and come home hopefully before it got too dark. I will get with him to see if they have any pics or stories this will be a great starter. By the way, he stated Tom Grade was killed of a ruptured spleen testing a B Konig, I am named after him.

I remember Wilbur Blake and his daughter were from Marysville. A lot of participation from the East Coast of Lake St Clair, Port Huron to Detroit.

Allen J. Lang
04-27-2013, 08:04 PM
Hi again Stu, I remember Bud Parker saying he ran his Parker D Looper in Wallsberg area. Said his first run kind of told him he had to learn how it was running the higher powered looper.
My wife and I paid several trips up to Wallisberg with our crusier. Enjoyed our visits.
Steve, I know what you mean about having kept our old racing equipment. I had sold all my stock and alky equipment. Did have a B and D Sid hornet. Snapped rolled the B on a start line and split a 20H
wide open. Also snapped rolled the D with a 30H. The 30H came out OK.
I think that there were 2 Algonac CC Commanders and the Grand Rapids ones were quite a bit different. They are worth a fortune now.
Ye Olde Desert Geezer Al

Jungle Jim
10-03-2020, 05:13 PM
Just brought back a lot of memories just read it today Thank you Jim Lee

Karl Williams, Sr.
10-06-2020, 06:44 PM
Great story & photos. Do you remember Duke Johnson, Chatham, Ontario. Duke ran C-Service runabout in the early 50's. He was a North American and believe he worked in the glass business.