PDA

View Full Version : 1980 PRO Nationals Results

Popa Sam
03-02-2010, 09:20 AM
Some more great drivers.

Rex Hall Jr.
03-02-2010, 05:18 PM
Out of all those names, only one driver is still running today, and still winning. Tim Small

David Weaver
03-02-2010, 05:27 PM
Out of all those names, only one driver is still running today, and still winning. Tim Small

Mr. Voss is still at it and not too many years removed from a 500cc runabout National Championship.

I ran 125cc Hydro at this race, the re-run of the Nationals from LaCrosse, WS.

Rex Hall Jr.
03-02-2010, 06:08 PM
Sorry David, but your name does not appear on the list I am talking about, and I did miss Pete Voss, who is still running great .

Master Oil Racing Team
03-02-2010, 06:41 PM
Rex and David.....Pete took a big hit at DePue....and it took awhile for everything to mend...but he got back on that horse. Among my regrets at Naples was only being able to give more than a cursory hello to Tim. So many people. He was gone before I knew it. That's probably why he looked like he had many more years ahead.:D And you still got a lot of years ahead as well David.:cool::D

ADD: Don't feel bad Rex. It was a different year. The original Pro Nationals were held at LaCrosse, Wisconsin where we partied and watched the Mississippi bring on down water and debris from flooding, and finally after some boycotts, delays and a hanging in effigy a heat of Formula 350, 125 hydro and maybe one other class was run...possibly CSH..the race was cancelled. Prior to that 700 hydro was considered being cancelled from the Pro Circuit, and 1100 runabout Nationals were held in California. We ran 700 hydro at DePue if you remember Rex. I brought this up because some people may wonder why 1100 runabout, 700 hydro and the others were not mentioned. Since we didn't go to Acworth, I don't have any records or other info on what may have happened. Since David says they reran those classes, I don't know why they were not included in the results. In any case....thanks much for posting that Popa Sam because it's good to know the history.

Popa Sam
03-03-2010, 06:49 AM
In any case....thanks much for posting that Popa Sam because it's good to know the history.[/QUOTE]

You are very welcome. I'm going through my old propeller and powerboat mags trying to put together a list of the OPC closed course nationals results and sites. Finding there is not a lot of info. When I run across things like this that I think others would enjoy seeing I've been posting it.

Master Oil Racing Team
03-03-2010, 07:53 AM
That's great....Keep it up. I have a bunch of old roostertails that have results from Eufala and other places. If you need me to check something out, just let me know. I am finally getting some old magazines organized to be able to find stuff. Looking forward to future results from you.

Popa Sam
03-03-2010, 09:18 AM
Any Eufaula results from the 70's would be a great help. I lost all my mags prior to 1980 in a fire. If it would be easier to email them to me, the address is hsamtheman@aol.com. The stock, mod and pro results from 81 will be coming later today.