PDA

View Full Version : Brown color in fuel

JohnsonM50
03-28-2010, 02:17 PM
Ive gone over the fuel system on my Airborn tank to carb. The tanks sqweeky clean, the fuel line & prime bulb are new & the line from pump to carb is the same new.. Pep Boys fuel line. The Oil Im using dyes the gas a dark blue-ish green. Problem is the 1st cup or so comes out brown then its blue again. It almost looks like rust & the only ferrous metal there is the pump housing that is rusted outside but clean inside. [I will replace that with an aluminum one] Could it be that the fuel line is coloring the gas? Its the only part I havent used long term except the primer ball. Thanks.

Mark75H
03-28-2010, 03:20 PM
Could be, but I suspect it is just the fuel deteriorating. I hate the crap we get these days.

JohnsonM50
03-28-2010, 05:33 PM
Well, I got it off the motor & will let it sit awhile & sqweeze some out into a clean cup before the pump to see if its from the fuel line. Whats in the tank is staying the normal blue-green.

mxp864
03-29-2010, 05:43 AM
I use vp fuel and yamalube.

last year i cleaned the tank, replaced the lines, and "rebuilt" the filter.

when it sits for a bit the fuel in the filter turns a dark brown. I assumed that it too was breaking down perhaps. It never effected the performance noticibly. I never paid it much attention after going the entire season without a problem.

JohnsonM50
03-30-2010, 04:58 AM
I use vp fuel and yamalube.

last year i cleaned the tank, replaced the lines, and "rebuilt" the filter.

when it sits for a bit the fuel in the filter turns a dark brown. I assumed that it too was breaking down perhaps. It never effected the performance noticibly. I never paid it much attention after going the entire season without a problem.

Thanks. Yeah, this will start & run too, Im pretty sure its the line & have some clean fuel sitting in a piece to confirm.

JohnsonM50
04-04-2010, 06:33 AM
This is definitely the fuel line. It appears the black coloring is leaching into the gas & theres tiny particles too. Coincedently the float needle failed in the carb, related? I replaced it.

zul8tr
04-04-2010, 07:12 AM
This is definitely the fuel line. It appears the black coloring is leaching into the gas & theres tiny particles too. Coincedently the float needle failed in the carb, related? I replaced it.

How about using tygon yellow fuel lines that will stand up to alcohol and will not cause gas to discolor? Available at local lawn mower shops.