PDA

View Full Version : 50cc World Speed Record - 144.891 mph!

Original Looper 1
05-14-2010, 07:10 PM
I came across this last night at the following link: http://buddfab.net/

BUDDFAB STREAMLINER
50cc Landspeed motorcycle
BUILT BY
John Buddenbaum Metal Fabricator And Eric Noyes Engineer
MOTOR
2002 Arpilia rs50, water cooled, six speed, Metrakit performance parts
FRAME
1&1/4 " x .095" mild steel tubing, full rollcage head to feet, stressed aluminum paneling
BODY
Fiberglass, hand layup over a male mold, polyester resin, 60lbs, 13 feet long
GOAL
Our goal has been achieved, the BUDDFAB STREAMLINER is the worlds fastest 50cc motorcycle

This is a remarkable accomplishment with only a 50cc engine. I think it goes to show boat racers that set up is extremely important and can be highly rewarding in terms of speeds achieved.

That's only 3.0506406 cubic inches. WOW!

thanks,

Paul A Christner

JohnsonM50
05-14-2010, 07:34 PM
All things considered a light vehicle with low drag, little friction & a 6 speed will only get ya so far on 3 cube's right? :cool:

bandit
05-14-2010, 08:02 PM
All things considered a light vehicle with low drag, little friction & a 6 speed will only get ya so far on 3 cube's right? :cool:

The 2 cycle engine always amazing in hp , i knew a fellow that worked on 671 DETROIT DIESEL ENGINES 2cycle repeat 2cycle 600+ hp and they lived.!!!

dancrabt
05-15-2010, 12:06 PM
Paul this is awesome,now just imagine if we took this and applied it to outboards. I've posted pics of the engine and the dyno sheet also for those who choose to view. And if you go to the website Paul has listed there is also a video. Makes me wonder what the Quincy "M" would do. Not to get into it to much but come on,we haven't even reached the speeds these outboards are capable of because of restrictions. I know you don't have to say it, if it wasn't for the restictions it wouldn't be racing. Then why do we keep looking for the ultimate speeds we all so dearly want to reach. Heres a start a 50cc engine going 144.891 mph. Thanks Paul

Bill Van Steenwyk
05-15-2010, 12:33 PM
The engine seems to have a turbocharger on the outlet end of the expansion chamber. Under present rules, I believe that would make it illegal for outboard racing unless the rules have been changed recently, but very interesting and just shows what untapped potential there still is in two strokes for power output. Porting arrangement/timing would have to be different from what we have now it would seem, to keep the turbo from overcoming the advantage of the expansion chamber.

Back in the mid 80's I saw a Merc V-6 turbocharged at a kilo in Moorehaven, Florida on an Allison type boat. They did not have all the bugs worked out at that time and were not very successful. The modification was done by Land & Sea, who also had another engine there with expansion chambers but no turbo.

Steve Litzell
05-15-2010, 02:48 PM
Not to take anything away from this feat but, Today's turbo knowledge and with modern computer controls this has nothing to do with outboard racing. Land speed stuff is missing one important thing that we have..... Water. Is this a amazing accomplishment? you bet, but comparing this motor to waht we do is like comparing apples to a nice glass of Jack Daniels.... I see no comparison but can greatly appreciate what was done and these guy's need a real stand up " Atta Boy and Well done":D

JohnsonM50
05-15-2010, 04:59 PM
Not to take anything away from this feat but, Today's turbo knowledge and with modern computer controls this has nothing to do with outboard racing. Land speed stuff is missing one important thing that we have..... Water. Is this a amazing accomplishment? you bet, but comparing this motor to waht we do is like comparing apples to a nice glass of Jack Daniels.... I see no comparison but can greatly appreciate what was done and these guy's need a real stand up " Atta Boy and Well done":D
True, water is like going uphill, even if your flying a hydro its still in a constant state of climb & it needs to start out, then theres no gears. Besides a few mini bikes the 1st 'real' :D motorcycle I rode was a friends Honda 50. It was surprising how well it would go. Later on a Suzuki 750 GT.. it would have to have been pushed real hard to go that fast. The 144.891's amazing- no joke about it.:cool:

Mark75H
05-15-2010, 06:15 PM
Any links to the prices of those components?

wboxell
05-16-2010, 07:02 AM
True, water is like going uphill, even if your flying a hydro its still in a constant state of climb & it needs to start out, then theres no gears. :

Didn't someone in the late 70s or so try a kart engine/clutch setup in M or 125cc pro class. :confused: Seems this would get peaky critter out of pits and on plane with clutch locked up when at speed.:rolleyes: Bill

Bill Van Steenwyk
05-16-2010, 08:55 AM
Stanley Leavendusky Sr. built a 100CC Komet Go-Kart engine for Eileen in the early 70's, using the slipper clutch and chain drive arrangement that was standard on the Kart's of the time and mounting it on a tower housing he built with Merc clamp brackets. The most difficult part of the whole project was starting the motor, as it did not have anything but a nut on the end of the crank shaft that accepted the normal electric starting motor used by Kart racers of the time. We took an automotive starter, reversed the rotation of it by changing the internal wiring so it would turn the opposite direction, as the Komet ran the opposite direction as the automobile engine the starter was designed for. I have some video somewhere of starting it in the water and Eileen reving it up and then the clutch engaging, prop turning and throwing a rooster tail, and then going out and on plane. We had different sprocket sizes to change gearing but were giving up 25CC to the common "M's" of the day, so that and a lack of other motors to compete against worked against it as a successful project. It started and ran well but the biggest problem was carrying the heavy automotive battery and starter out in the water. Best I remember the starter was 6 volts so the battery was heavy. We had previously tried to start it with a rope, but with the high porting it had by being designed from the start to be started with an electric starter, no requirement for low end because of the slipper clutch arrangement it was designed with, and also the not so great ignition system on it at the time, that would not work, so we were stuck with an electric starter if we were going to make it work.

One of the most interesting things was since it was chain drive, we had to rig up an oiling system so as to keep the chain lubricated. We used an aftermarket windshield washer/pump system that had a rubber type bag that held the lube and a diaphram type pump that was designed to mount on the floor board of the car and then be pumped by your foot. I mounted it in the middle of the keeling pad and Eileen pumped it a couple of times each lap with her knee and the open end of the hose from the bag was located over the chain and dripped on it. If you oiled too much you came in with the back of your jacket oiled up, as the chain was running without any type guard, so she learned to use it sparingly. We used a similar type system on another 125 built from Honda parts that had a gear driven balance shaft and necessitated the gears having to be oiled. On this motor we used a small amount of oil in a container that was pressurized by crankcase compression to force the oil thru a carb jet and onto the gears, enough to do the job but not enough to cause a mess.

Fredriksenboatsport
05-16-2010, 10:05 AM
Wow!
That is cool. Nice speed :D

Original Looper 1
05-16-2010, 11:00 AM
Here's the link for the USA distributor for some of the performance parts used on this remarkable 50cc world record engine.

Link: http://www.metrakitusa.com/

Enjoy the possibilities. :)

thanks,
Paul A Christner

Mark75H
05-16-2010, 12:41 PM
I don't see the answer to my question. I find no pricing on that web site.

Speedfab
05-16-2010, 02:31 PM

Sam, we have done machine work and engine assembly for a couple guys whith those Aprilia RS50s who bought Metrakit parts... The crank assembly is $300, the cylinder kit is almost $400, their pipe for it is almost 500... not cheap stuff by a long shot, but the parts are like little jewelry, really nice.

The cylinder has typical high perf Schnuerle porting, 5 transfers (but the front "boost port" is split/has a bridge in the middle, meaning technically there are six) and one big unbridged exhaust port with two smaller "eyebrow" ports at each upper corner (so 3 total exhaust ports in the liner). One thing I did notice is that the ports seem huge relative to the size of the cylinder, which is obviously tiny. The port timing is very similar to what we ran in K30 Komets in unlimited sprint karts.

Really amazing power out of a tiny engine, no doubt.

Seagull 170
05-16-2010, 03:39 PM
Perhaps the hardest part is going to be lowering the revs,to a suitable range without the use of a huge crownwheel or by using a sexy planetary reduction box somewhere in the leg.

Unless Ron has come up with a prop design that will work at 15,000 + revs!

When you look inside one of these cylinders you start to wonder how the head stays on with so many ports, what holds the top to the bottom.

Some of the top hand built 2.5cc model aero engines are producing around 900 hp per litre, at up to 40k revs.

When we're trying to get 2 hp per inch these guys are almost getting 1 hp per cc. Respect!

Mark75H
05-16-2010, 03:48 PM
Current 500 & 700 motors are making 6 or more ... 180+ from 30 ci ... still a long way from 1 hp per cc ... it might point the way for future race motors

bandit
05-16-2010, 08:52 PM
True, water is like going uphill, even if your flying a hydro its still in a constant state of climb & it needs to start out, then theres no gears. Besides a few mini bikes the 1st 'real' :D motorcycle I rode was a friends Honda 50. It was surprising how well it would go. Later on a Suzuki 750 GT.. it would have to have been pushed real hard to go that fast. The 144.891's amazing- no joke about it.:cool:

I think it sounds like a great power to wheight thing but it doesnt have anything to do with boat racing.

bandit
05-16-2010, 09:36 PM

And thats all i'm gonna say about that.

Seagull 170
05-17-2010, 01:57 AM
you might find prices on Malossi or Jasil's web sites.

All of these companies provide bolt on extra power, for kids to use on their twist & go scooters.

As for boat racing use just check out the 125 & 250cc classes & the speeds they get

Rotary John
05-17-2010, 08:29 AM
I seem to recall Honda raced a twin cylinder 50cc 4-stroke in the 60's. Ran 22,000 RPM and beat the 2-strokes of Yamaha and Suzuki.

hydroplay
05-17-2010, 02:14 PM
I seem to recall Honda raced a twin cylinder 50cc 4-stroke in the 60's. Ran 22,000 RPM and beat the 2-strokes of Yamaha and Suzuki.

They also had a 5 cylinder 125 version that ran similar rpms. I read somewhere that carburetor jetting was so critical that when the bike went into a shaded area of a race track, it would miss because the slight change in temp was critical to the carb jetting at those rpms.

Original Looper 1
05-17-2010, 05:28 PM
Hi,

I've posted this link a while ago but it's worth reposting. It's a link to a British site that has the original recorded sounds of some of these remarkable road racing, small displacement motorcycle engines in battle.

http://www.vintagebike.co.uk/Sounds.htm

Enjoy! :)

Paul A Christner

PS: Listen carefully to the 1967 Suzuki 50cc. WOW!

Original Looper 1
06-06-2010, 08:48 PM
Imagine: 60,000 combustion cycles per minute at 20,000 rpms.

Suzuki RP68 50cc 3 cylinder

At the end of 1966, Honda withdrawal from the 50cc and 125cc classes, which means Suzuki, had no fears of real competition for 1967. The Kreidlers, Derbi’s and the Dutch Jamathi had not much chance for real treatment to the Suzuki. The riders Anscheid, Katayama, and Graham get an improved version of the two stroke twin.

The water cooled RK67 which gives a power output of 17,5 hp at 17.300 rpm, via a bore and stroke of 32,5x30 mm, has rotary disc intake with 22mm carburettors installed. The compression rate was 8,5:1 and it needed 14 gears to keep the engine in his power band. The weight was 58 kg and the little bike had a top speed of 176 km/h. Hans Georg Anscheid becomes world champion before his team mates Yoshimi Katayama and Stuart Graham.

At the end of 1967 Suzuki turns up with a sensation by presenting a brand new three cylinder, afraid of the possibility Honda would bring out, like rumours has it, a three cylinder in 1968.

The RP68 was a very interesting machine, it has 2 lying and 1 standing water cooled cylinder, behind the standing cylinder is a waterpump installed. The bore and stroke were 28x 26,5mm, the little engine has rotary disc intakes, and was given up at 19 hp at 20.000 rpm, good for some 200km/h. It had a power band of 500 revs and it needed 14 gears.

You can read the rest of the article about this fascinating technology, way ahead of it's time, at:
http://www.yamahaclassictwostrokes.nl/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=22&Itemid=32