PDA

View Full Version : Buck Thornton

David Pergande
06-17-2005, 03:56 PM
Buck rolling

David Pergande
06-17-2005, 04:04 PM
Same boat, following race and was leading.....what happens when crank breaks at the fly wheel then cuts the fuel line!!!

Miss BK
06-17-2005, 07:26 PM
I was there when Buck's boat caught fire.

And I was very impressed when several race boats turned their transom toward Buck's boat and blasted it with their watery roostertails before the fire boat came on scene. They nearly put the fire out themselves. Pretty amazing.

Thanks for the pictures.

David Pergande
06-17-2005, 08:59 PM
I forgot about the boats and rooster tails trying to put that out, that was pretty cool.

one more....Miami Stadium.

mintominto
06-22-2005, 08:37 AM
Just saw the name Buck Thornton so thought I'd post this shot I took at Bristol in England, it was during the 1980s but I'm not sure of the exact year.

spn#43
06-22-2005, 12:37 PM
Just saw the name Buck Thornton so thought I'd post this shot I took at Bristol in England, it was during the 1980s but I'm not sure of the exact year.

Wow what a beautiful boat, if you have more pictures from that era, please post ‘em

Ron Hill
06-22-2005, 05:08 PM
Seems to me, Wil, you should go to "Who's Who" and post all the pictures you have....I know, that i for one, would love seeing your "Kneeldown " days..

Great pictures...How is the Buckaroo???

mintominto
06-23-2005, 03:59 AM
Wow what a beautiful boat, if you have more pictures from that era, please post ‘em
Yes got loads more and here's just a few, although some may be slightly earlier. I will sort out some more to post soon, hope you enjoy.

David Pergande
06-24-2005, 02:15 PM
jonathan jones in St. Louis...burgess boat

mintominto
06-25-2005, 06:45 AM
jonathan jones in St. Louis...burgess boatThis photo shows Buck at the Bristol Grand Prix in 1986. Looks like it's possible your picture of Jon Jones shows him in the exact same boat, any idea if I'm right?

David Pergande
06-26-2005, 09:20 AM
you got it! (if I am not mistaken), Buck had that boat shipped to the states after that race, ran it in St. Louis, and rolled it (only time I saw Buck wreck a boat in the 5 years he raced for my dad!), lost a whole side of it. Had it repaired and brought it back the following year in St. Louis for Jones.....it seemed as if it was never really right again after that wreck!

mintominto
06-26-2005, 12:47 PM
It's a small world, my dad used to race V bottoms with Jon Jones in England back in the late 70s. Here's one of those early boats Jon raced until Roger Jenkins persuaded him to join the ON Class during the early 80s.

kingofbeers8
09-28-2005, 06:30 AM
Buck rolling
Is the ship watch boat (grey and red) the one he flipped in the marine stadium in miami...79 or 80?

peterse90
12-23-2005, 12:29 AM
Here are 2 more Buck Thorton pics;
Merc powered Lee Craft, 1978 or 1979.
Johnson V8 powered Lee Craft 1983.

kingofbeers8
12-23-2005, 11:18 AM
Those are good shots but not the ride I am thinking of, I thought it was a Seebold hull but could be wrong. My mind isnt quite what it used to be :confused:

Master Oil Racing Team
12-23-2005, 02:11 PM
Lake Charles, La.

mintominto
12-24-2005, 06:05 AM
Just fished out another pic of Buck at Bristol GP 1986

kingofbeers8
12-24-2005, 11:03 AM
Lake Charles, La.

Thats the one I was referring to, I saw him flip that one completely (landing upright)when I was about 14. My dad took us to miami marine stadium and it was excellent racing that day, he and seebold were duking it out the whole time. Good looking boat too. When I get home next summer I am taking my kids (who have never been to a boat race) to where ever its happening. I am open for suggestions for late august if you could recommend a particular event. Merry Christmas from baghdad. Have a safe and enjoyable time! Brad :)

Master Oil Racing Team
12-26-2005, 09:51 AM
You're in THE Baghdad?

kingofbeers8
12-26-2005, 10:39 PM
Yes, I have been here for about 16 months, took a couple of R&R's but I can't wait to get home and stay. I am here by choice but it is hard at times to hang in there, I just suck it up and keep my mind in my work and countdown the days. I am planning on staying until august but things can change at the drop of the hat. I hope you and your family had a merry christmas and have a great new year. Thanks for the pics, Brad

Master Oil Racing Team
12-27-2005, 08:59 AM
Thanks for your service to our country Brad, and the great sacrifice you and your family have made in your personal lives to protect our country. God bless you and all your compadres. If you would like an 8 X 10 photo of a raceboat to hang on your wall tell me what you'd like and how to get it to you.

kingofbeers8
12-27-2005, 10:41 AM
Thanks for your service to our country Brad, and the great sacrifice you and your family have made in your personal lives to protect our country. God bless you and all your compadres. If you would like an 8 X 10 photo of a raceboat to hang on your wall tell me what you'd like and how to get it to you.

I would love a picture, I would appreciate that very much. I am going to give you my yahoo address, kingofbeers8@yahoo.com I look forward to hearing from you. Brad

Master Oil Racing Team
12-27-2005, 11:51 AM
Any particular type of hull,... specific driver,.... mulitiple boats......? Or would you just like me to pick something out? I found an instant drying paper so it shouldn't take too long.

kingofbeers8
12-27-2005, 12:12 PM
I would be grateful for ANY as long as its a tunnel. I dont even know who is on the circuit these days. I think you can pick... it seems like you are in tune with whats going on and who is who. When do they post the 2006 schedules?

Master Oil Racing Team
12-27-2005, 12:29 PM
But there were some great ones. I'll find something you'll like with lots of cool, blue water. I hope to start making a few races in 2006 and get some current photos. David L6 posted a link today for the APBA 2006 schedule, and I think Miss BK did too, not very long ago. I'll start looking for your pic today.

kingofbeers8
12-27-2005, 12:33 PM
I really apprecite this, this is not something you have to do and I thank you very much, Brad

Master Oil Racing Team
12-27-2005, 07:36 PM
.....something I want to do. Got tied up & had to go to the office today for year end stuff. I know of one frame to send that you and your buds might like (no.... not what you think). You guys over there are living in the moment it's happening, but you never fully understand history until time has passed and you have time to reflect on what truly happened.

kingofbeers8
12-28-2005, 05:23 AM
hehe, sounds great, I had a good chuckle out of that!

Miss BK
12-30-2005, 12:29 PM
Sorry I came into this thread so late. I've been in Arizona for the past couple of weeks.

Brad,
There are two main big tunnel circuits running - The Champboat Circuit (Formula One biggest tunnels - 2.5 litre) and the APR Superleague circuit (Formula Two - SST-120 - the next biggest tunnels).

www.champboatracing.com
www.aprsuperleague.com

Here is the tentative Champboat Schedule for 2006:

May 13-14 Grand Prix of Texas Port Neches, TX 2/3

June 3-4 Hurricane Relief GP New Roads, LA Champ1/2/3

June 17-18 Northern Michigan GP Sault St Marie, MI Champ1/2/3

June 24-25 Bay City River Roar Bay City, MI Champ1/2/3

*July 1-2 Three Rivers Regatta Pittsburgh, PA Champ1/2

July 15-16 Grand Prix of Cincinnati Newport, KY Champ1/2/3

July 22-23 Grand Prix of Minneapolis Minneapolis, MN Champ1/2

July 22-23 APBA Championship Trenton, MI 2/3

*Aug. 5-6 Grand Prix of Portland Portland, OR Champ1

Aug. 26-27 Roar of the Rockies Windsor, CO Champ1

*Sept. 2-4 APBA Championships Kankakee, IL Champ1

Sept. 16-17 Bud Light of St. Louis St. Louis, MO Champ1/TBD

*Oct. TBD Southeast TBD

*Nov. 4-5 Grand Prix of Savannah Savannah, GA Champ/TBD

*Nov. 6 Champions Banquet and Golf Savannah, GA TBD

*To be confirmed, tentative event
10 event projection
12 event maximum

Class Designation:
Champ1 Champ
Champ2 SST-120/SST-200
Champ3 SST-45

Miss BK
12-30-2005, 12:30 PM
Here is the tentative Superleague schedule from their web site
http://www.aprsuperleague.com/schedule.html

----------------------------------------------

This is a tenative schedule for 2006 season

June 16th - 17th
Peoria, Illinois

July 8th - 9th
Marietta, OH

July 29th - 30th
Oklahoma City, OK

August 12th - 13th
Huntington, W. Virginia

August 26th - 27th
Aurora, IN

September 9th - 10th
Nashville, TN

September 23rd - 24th
Buckeye Lake, OH

Note:Schedule is accurate as of December 22, 2005.

Miss BK
12-30-2005, 12:33 PM
Champboat racing

PS - The above is the one race I highly recommend. :)

Mark Poole
12-30-2005, 05:13 PM
Any idea where they are thinking about racing in Savannah? The riverfront on the Savannah River maybe? I am 30 minutes from there thats why I ask!

Crewdog
12-30-2005, 05:15 PM
its about time they moved from august i live here & that race is to hot for me i hope sept can increase the crowd:D

kingofbeers8
12-30-2005, 10:44 PM
Champboat racing

PS - The above is the one race I highly recommend. :)

I am trying to drag my dad to one, he said the same thing. Grand daddy of them all. Sounds like fun. I have had the oppurtunity to see the cut up replay on Speed years back, not sure if it was st louis or three rivers. A fix is a fix though :) Do the hotels inflate prices like when nascar comes to town or are they reasonable? Pitt is alot closer to southern maryland, I am thinking of taking wife and kids to that one and try to talk dad into St. Louis.

kingofbeers8
12-30-2005, 10:49 PM
Thanks for the information

Ray Lumpkin
11-10-2007, 07:36 AM
Buck was a winner too, here in Region 4 when he drove a Checkmate in F J class in the 1970s! He won with vee bottoms and tunnels!!

Smokey
11-10-2007, 06:19 PM
Buck was a winner too, here in Region 4 when he drove a Checkmate in F J class in the 1970s! He won with vee bottoms and tunnels!!
Ray, don't forget his old partner, Dave Casey!!

CNC_Guy
01-04-2014, 02:39 PM
I just saw a post somewhere else that Buck Thornton has passed away. Godspeed to you and peace to your family.

Bill Van Steenwyk
01-04-2014, 08:49 PM
I just saw a post somewhere else that Buck Thornton has passed away. Godspeed to you and peace to your family.

His obit can be found by "Googling" Buck Thornton obituary. A newspaper article can then be accessed by clicking on his name. Full name was George Alden Thornton.

Although I never met him personally, I saw him race many time at George Winter Park in St. Louis. My impression from just watching him drive was very similar to watching Billy Seebold. If you were going to beat him you had to put everything you had into it, along with equal or better equipment. He was very tough on the race course.

Not surprisingly given his success in Boat Racing, he was also very successful in business and civic endevours which can be read about in the obit piece.

Beale Tilton
01-04-2014, 10:35 PM
Buck was a hard charging gentleman almost always with a smile. Never worried about running side by side. Knew he wasn't going to take what didn't belong to him, nor was he going to give what did
RIP Buck

boatmark59
01-12-2014, 12:51 AM
Buck was certainly a one of a kind combination - Fierce competitor and Southern gentleman.

Someone brought up on facebook the days when if you called Buck's house, the answering machine would be answered by "Seebold the Butler", who would promise to get the message to "Master Thornton" just as soon as he comes in. Hadn't thought about that in decades, but can still hear the voice. It's hard to leave a message when you can't stop laughing!

RIP Buck from Duck.

stlfan
06-04-2014, 05:45 PM
I was saddened to read that He passed away. He never knew me by name but he was always very friendly and gracious when I talked to him at the races here. Last time I remember talking with him was the year Alden blew over on the back stretch while leading??? the race. Asked him what it took to run SST 120 for a season and he pointed to a tall tree and he said "A stack of money that high". Gave up trying to buy a used boat then. Certainly a class act!