PDA

View Full Version : OMC tilt assembly ID ???

Mark75H
09-03-2010, 05:03 PM
Does anyone recognize this piece? Can you place it to a year or motor?

Bill Gohr
10-20-2010, 07:08 AM
No its not a stern drive part, but it is an OMC part and I can't place it, I wonder if it was a lift cylinder used on a Cushman, there was some odd things that came from over there

Michael J Gwaltney
10-22-2010, 07:29 AM
Does anyone recognize this piece? Can you place it to a year or motor?
This looks simular to the electric jack screw trim developed for the KC-13. It was better than a "thrust jack" but drivers complained it was too slow. Just a guess... Michael J

Mark75H
10-22-2010, 05:45 PM
This looks simular to the electric jack screw trim developed for the KC-13. It was better than a "thrust jack" but drivers complained it was too slow. Just a guess... Michael J

I bet that's what it is. I think the other Sam has a KC-13 mid

tim respess
12-07-2010, 05:50 PM
Is it for sale? I have what I think to be a KC13R. It belonged to Bob Witte in 1971. It's in running condition and I would like to set it up on a tunnel but would really like to have a trim for it. Thanks, Tim

Mark75H
12-07-2010, 06:30 PM
It might be, I'll ask

tim respess
12-07-2010, 06:43 PM
Thanks, I would appreciate it.

brichter
12-07-2010, 07:19 PM
Tim, Do you have pictures of your KC13R? if so I'd love to see them.
Its my favorite motor and its been a long time since I saw one in one piece.

tim respess
12-08-2010, 10:57 AM
I owned this motor years ago and just got it back in my possession. I took it partially apart to inspect it. It is a running motor with good pistons rings and ZERO carbon build up. It has the original high compression heads, flex plate flywheel and a V-6 starter. When I owned it originally I sent the gearcase to OMC to have it resealed. When I got it back they had installed this pointed nose cone rather than the blunt one it had before. It has about 10 hours run time on the case and the last P/H rebuild. I plan on polishing it back out and restore it and rig it on a suitable tunnel. One thing I thing I think might be unique about this engine is that it has a hydraulic lift built into the swivel bracket which has 1" of up and down travel.

brichter
01-04-2011, 08:10 PM
Thanks for the pics!
It looks like the one piston comes all the way to the deck....Can you take a pic of one of the heads? If a zero deck KC, it probably has sand cast heads.
Looks like you have an updated KC13 with zero deck and the added up down swivel unit similar to the one the KRs had but the bulge in the casting and an add-on trim bracket. I have one of those early up-down swivels that I found on a KC.

Rotary John
01-05-2011, 07:21 AM
I owned this motor years ago and just got it back in my possession. I took it partially apart to inspect it. It is a running motor with good pistons rings and ZERO carbon build up. It has the original high compression heads, flex plate flywheel and a V-6 starter. When I owned it originally I sent the gearcase to OMC to have it resealed. When I got it back they had installed this pointed nose cone rather than the blunt one it had before. It has about 10 hours run time on the case and the last P/H rebuild. I plan on polishing it back out and restore it and rig it on a suitable tunnel. One thing I thing I think might be unique about this engine is that it has a hydraulic lift built into the swivel bracket which has 1" of up and down travel.

All of the 70's OMC race engines had the power lift, including the rotary. It was powered by a Merc power trim unit(pump, motor and resivor). They also had a second Merc unit for power trim. The gearcase appears to be the 14/27 used on the V-4 and early V-6 race engines.

tim respess
01-08-2011, 11:33 AM
Your right about the sand cast heads. When I got it they were on it and had very high compression. After I stuck a piston I put this set on. This set of heads were still available in 1977. The power lift is done using an OMC tilt motor and pump, which I have.The motor isn't quite as rough as it looks in the pictures. Sorry about the size, I'm having trouble resizing right now.

brichter
01-08-2011, 01:23 PM
The heads in the picture are the standard KC heads for the 1/8" deck pistons. I thought the pistons would hit on a zero deck motor...are you sure they aren't hitting?

brichter
01-08-2011, 01:30 PM
All of the 70's OMC race engines had the power lift, including the rotary. It was powered by a Merc power trim unit(pump, motor and resivor). They also had a second Merc unit for power trim. The gearcase appears to be the 14/27 used on the V-4 and early V-6 race engines.

The early KCs were like the GTs were, thrust jack motors without any trim or vertical lift.
The updated ones had factory installed trim and lift.