PDA

View Full Version : Bill Hosler & Claude Fox - photos

Original Looper 1
09-26-2010, 03:04 PM
Hi All,

Bill Hosler recently gave us copies of his personal photo album and the Claude Fox photo album, which includes many photos used in the NOA Rooster Tails of the 1950's and 1960's, so we could post them on the Quincy Looper web site.

We've been busy posting photos from both albums to the www.QuincyLooperRacing.us web site. Go to the the site, click on the Racing Legends tab, then click on Claude or Bill's names to view the albums.

Since there are probably 200 or more photos in the Claude Fox group, it will be an ongoing project getting them posted.

These photos show the rich history of outboard racing and I want to send Bill a special thanks for allowing us to share them with everyone on our web site.

Here's a small sample of what Bill has contributed. Enjoy looking at all of the photos!

Regards,

Paul A Christner

Ron Hill
09-26-2010, 03:35 PM
Great pictures...

The 1952 Oakland Nationals, 184-C looks like a DeSilva, but it is a Terrell. That became my first boat.

2-C was John Craven, and that is a DeSilva Boat.

Dean Chenowith won three Nationals. W.W. "Pappy" Bowan had A Hydro won and decided to go wide on the last turn and wave top the crowd and officials. Dean cut it tight and beat Pappy to the finish line.

My dad inspected there along with Al Hart. My dad disqualified Jack Leek for a cut foot and Johnny Colvalt for the same thing.

My dad talk Stu Downs into buying Ron Zubak's BU Sid Craft

Mark75H
09-26-2010, 05:49 PM
Fantastic stuff. I hope in the future we can figure out more of what we are looking at in many of the pics.

I love the Zak-Levandusky-Van pic ... that's a keeper

Original Looper 1
11-08-2010, 09:30 AM
Hi Everyone,

We now have almost 200 photos up over at www.QuincyLooperRacing.us from Bill Hosler's racing photo album AND the Claude Fox NOA photo collection.

When you go to the Quincy site, click on the Racing Legends tab, then scroll down to Fox and Hosler.

There are some really great photos in the collection. Also photos of some famous people that attended race events, such as Johnny Cash, George "Goober" Lindsey, Jerry VanDyke and Gov. George Wallace.

Hey Ron, you might recognize the guy in one of the photos posted here. :D One of the other photos is of Clyde Wiseman (founder of Wiseco Pistons) running a Quincy Merc.

For those that enjoy current racing photos, we have some from the races held at Jesup, GA, in October thanks to Bob Dunlap.

Enjoy!

Regards,

Paul A Christner

Ron Hill
11-08-2010, 09:39 AM
That's Jimbo in the BU. I think that was Carl Myers old Morehouse.76-C was Ted May in his May Craft, 44 Cubic inch Mercury, Hubbell Horns and GAS burning....Ted probably drove that boat a thousand miles. Note in the trailer the 44 didn't have a foot. 44's were harder on the foots than "D'", so Ted was always blowing feet up and switching them. Nice selection of props...Several Hong Hong props in there!

Add:

THAT IS TED MAY'S Sid Craft, not a May Craft. I bought that boat from him in the spring of 1964,

F-12
11-08-2010, 02:52 PM
Great pics and they all have a story behind them. Mr. Hosler is still young at heart and is still a great competitor. Thanks..............................

By the way.........the 44 flathead in my avatar was his old ride. Scared my Aerowing a bit when you clamped the throttle.

Original Looper 1
02-05-2011, 04:53 PM
Hi Everyone,

We've started page 3 of Claude Fox's NOA photo album today. The racing photos range from the 1930's to 1960's and racing names include Gar Wood, Fred Jacoby, Bill Holland (and his famous Scott motor), Bill Fales and Jerry Peterson.

Here's a sample of what we posted today over at www.QuincyLooperRacing.us. Plan on getting some more photos posted before the super bowl game tomorrow. So, who do you think will win?

Enjoy the photos.

Regards,
Paul

Mark75H
02-05-2011, 09:46 PM
The picture of Bill Holland has the rarely seen original type McCulloch 630 ... look at the steering yoke.

Smokin' Joe
03-18-2012, 03:36 PM
Really nice(!), but does anyone know what happened to all of Claude's
OPC photos, especially from the beginning 1957-61?

Hi All,

Bill Hosler recently gave us copies of his personal photo album and the Claude Fox photo album, which includes many photos used in the NOA Rooster Tails of the 1950's and 1960's, so we could post them on the Quincy Looper web site.

We've been busy posting photos from both albums to the www.QuincyLooperRacing.us web site. Go to the the site, click on the Racing Legends tab, then click on Claude or Bill's names to view the albums.

Since there are probably 200 or more photos in the Claude Fox group, it will be an ongoing project getting them posted.

These photos show the rich history of outboard racing and I want to send Bill a special thanks for allowing us to share them with everyone on our web site.

Here's a small sample of what Bill has contributed. Enjoy looking at all of the photos!

Regards,

Paul A Christner

BJuby
04-16-2012, 12:13 PM
What type of hull is the X-12? Looks like it could be a Sidson "F" class perhaps?

F-12
04-16-2012, 12:37 PM
Marchetti.

BJuby
04-17-2012, 06:02 AM
Thanks. I honestly can't really tell the difference between Sidson's and Marchetti's and I have 3 Sids....

Beautiful boat thought. The runabout below it is a DeSilva?

Gene East
04-17-2012, 06:24 AM
V-1000 is a DeSilva. Easy ID is the extension of the cockpit coming past the transom with the 2" hole. I never did ask Bill or Ralph DeSilva why they built their boats that way.

We hauled our runabouts upside down on the trailer in order to keep the bottoms straight. We used those holes for tie down.

The easiest way to ID a Marchetti is by the winged decal on the cowling.

BJuby
04-17-2012, 06:36 AM
Thanks for the info. Our Bezoats runabout extends beyond the transom as well, but is the shape of a "B" for Bezoats. Though, while there is an indent in the wood, there is no hole through the holes of the B. So it could be an attempt to be a "D"? Haha, just a thought.

I'd love to someday have a flatdeck DeSilva like that one.

Bill Van Steenwyk
04-17-2012, 02:39 PM
What type of hull is the X-12? Looks like it could be a Sidson "F" class perhaps?

That is a Marchetti emblem on the cowl. Jerry Peterson, the driver pictured, frequents BRF and will probably post a confirmation if so.

Master Oil Racing Team
04-17-2012, 07:07 PM
You can tell it was taken at Fort Buhlow Lake at what we call Alex. Judging from the smiles on Bill Fale's and Jerry Peterson's faces, and what look's like a plug wrench in Bill's hand, I would guess they had a very sucessful day.:cool: And It would be my guess also that Jerry did on the hydro what Bill did very well on the runabout,...and that it was Bill's motor. I don't know this for sure, but since Bill was from New York, and Jerry from Minnesota, I think this was a very successful collaboration. And yes, it is a Marchetti, and a very long one.

Jerry Peterson
04-18-2012, 11:41 AM
The year was 1970.Bill Fales and I had both set straightaway records that day.
That was my engine,Bill's 6 was undoubtedly stronger.The boat is a 1969 12'8" Marchetti.
We also had a 13'8" Marchetti that we planned to use for straightaways but I wanted
to run the exact setup for the straightaway run that we used in competition.Full fuel,
same prop,etc. We even ran our Keller speedometer just to verify if it was accurate.
The Keller read 106 during the record run and the official speed was 108.434.
I dont think many record attempts were made while dragging a pitot tube.Just made
a short run to the traps to maintain a more realistic scenario.I wanted to know what
speed we were actually running during a typical heat,not set some unrealistic record.
When it came to 6 cyl. Quincy engines,Bill Fales and Ray Nydahl were experts.They
were both very involved that day at Alex. Thanks Guys.

Gene East
04-19-2012, 05:03 AM
Jerry,

So good to see you posting here. It is typical of you to humbly honor your pit crew of Bill Fales and Ray Nydahl. But the guy squeezing the throttle is pretty good too.

Are you coming to DePue??