PDA

View Full Version : Subaru means Pleiades

Mark75H
01-08-2011, 09:55 AM
What does this have to do with outboard racing?

I was looking at some race boat pictures from some of my friends on Facebook and doing a little research, I learned this fact by chance.

Can anyone make the connection?

milkdud
01-17-2011, 10:01 PM
Yes the Subaru emblem has the stars in the logo. I have an Outback. I always heard its meaning was from many companies coming together. Now as for boat racing not sure?

I also remember looking up in the night sky and picking out Pleiades. It looks like a small cloud in the sky until you put bino's or a tele on her.

Now was Yamato made by a sister company of Fuji Heavy Industries.?

Conrad

wolfgang
01-18-2011, 12:36 AM
Absolutely yes. I think Mike Ward could confirm this. Btw, I also own a Legacy SW and a 3ltr Outback. Best regards and compliments of the season to all Boat Racing Fanatics.

Mark75H
01-18-2011, 06:27 AM
was Yamato made by a sister company of Fuji Heavy Industries.?

Conrad

No, but you are so close I'll give you credit and tell the connection

Fuji put in a competing bid to the Japanese racing commission back in the 1970's (that was rejected) and built some alky race motors good enough to set new speed records in their classes. Yamato was also building their own alky motor at that time (the MT-5). A couple years later Fuji reorganized and sold the alky motor tooling to Yamato and that became the Yamato "RB" alky series of motors

So, Yamato isn't one of the 7 sisters of Fuji, it is the answer to this trivia question

The Teledyne "Robin" series motors are Fuji's. Fuji also made engines for some of the early PWC makers

milkdud
01-18-2011, 08:37 AM
Yeah I saw this: http://www.seattleoutboard.org/Yamato%20Engine%20Chronology.html

last night while researching. But I could not pull up any info on Fuji Motorboat Corp. in google searches, so I didnt know if it was the same Fuji HI company.

Through my research last night its interesting that Yamaha and Subaru are sorta shirt tail cousins too.

Can you say BIG BUSINESS :)

Pretty cool
Conrad

Mark75H
01-18-2011, 09:30 AM
Good job. I forgot Fuji got in there between the 70 & 80

milkdud
01-18-2011, 01:00 PM
Sam,

The link I provided in my other post. Look at the DECAL on the: Engine Model No. Yamato 65-B Type

LOOKS FRAMILIAR :) :)

didnt notice this before.

Production Year: June 1967
Manufacturer: Yamato Engine Corporation
CC Displacement: 348.0
Number of Cylinders: 2
Bore x Stroke: 64.0 x 54.0 mm
HP output/RPM: 22 hp @ 6300 RPM
Weight (kg): 37.0

Mark75H
01-18-2011, 03:06 PM
Yeah, but not enough stars

wolfgang
01-20-2011, 02:48 AM
Yeah I saw this: http://www.seattleoutboard.org/Yamato%20Engine%20Chronology.html

last night while researching. But I could not pull up any info on Fuji Motorboat Corp. in google searches, so I didnt know if it was the same Fuji HI company.

Through my research last night its interesting that Yamaha and Subaru are sorta shirt tail cousins too.

Can you say BIG BUSINESS :)

Pretty cool
Conrad

yes, and Toyota too, after purchasing whatever minority share GM held in Subaru.