PDA

View Full Version : My Kill Switch Didn't Pass Inspection

Ron Hill
01-11-2011, 04:48 PM
I was told my kill switch won't pass inspection....

What do you think??? But I told the inspector it was a 7/16!!!!

Jeff Lytle
01-11-2011, 05:18 PM
BwaHaHa!! :)

OUTBOARDER
01-11-2011, 05:37 PM
I was told my kill switch won't pass inspection....

Drill a hole in it and attach a lanyard to a wristband:rolleyes:

Master Oil Racing Team
01-11-2011, 05:37 PM
That's your mistake....you should have said it was 11mm.

Lars Strom
01-11-2011, 05:48 PM
Tohatsu..must be metric..you are right Wayne..:)

mercmack
01-11-2011, 09:16 PM
theres my wrench, i have been looking for that da## thing for days:):):)

Marlee Hill
01-12-2011, 12:39 PM
Yeah u know.... Whenever u think you're about to fly out of the boat, just grab your 7/16 & you're good! Hahaha its a manual kill switch... Looks perfect to me Ron lets get it approved & I want one in my A Hydro! Hahaha

russhill
01-12-2011, 01:38 PM
No, we can't get it approved as is. King Apba must approve an official left hand glove (about $279) and require wearing it and holding the kill switch (wrench) at all times while racing--safety first, you know.

Bunker Hill
01-12-2011, 03:35 PM
NO,
APBA will want to make it universal! it'll have to work on multiple classes!
I think the APBA will aprove a "Metric Crescent Wrench" one that a guy has spent a ton of dough to develop in his back yard!

jimclauss
01-12-2011, 06:12 PM
That's funny i'v seen worse the ones that don't work.. ask Larry Lauderback he put a grand prix
hydro in a guys backyard at the Lake Hapakcong Race ,in NJ back in the 80's anybody remember that one? That was a sight to see..

Ron Hill
01-12-2011, 11:15 PM
It wasn't like I was using an OLD wrench, this sucker was NEW!

Ron Hill
01-22-2011, 07:14 PM
Some people get mad, some people get even. If they wouldn't pass my kill switch, I figured I'd fix them...I sold the boat....

Now John Lane owns this Sport Boat and his wife owns a Baja Cat.....Both boat are Division V boat or Fat C's...

phillnjack
07-06-2012, 02:07 PM
Must be legal

coz everyone's got one :)

phill

sharpeye Mike
07-06-2012, 03:49 PM
Phil, take a look at the first pic. Ron is using a wrench to jam the kill switch, ingenuity I would say.

phillnjack
07-06-2012, 05:13 PM
kill switch and fix toggle all in one. :)

A true masterpiece of bodgeneering

phill

Ron Hill
07-06-2012, 09:06 PM
This kill switch s kind of like the night my dad got a ticket for running a RED BLINKING light. The Old Man told the COP, "Yes, it was blinking, but it was off when I went through." The old man still got a ticket...

Bottom Line, this "KILL SWITCH" works....pass inspection, maybe not. But, ar Marlee said, "Hang on to the wrench"......

jeff55vDSH
07-07-2012, 05:57 AM
I started racing in '76 with a boat my dad made from Popular Mechanics magazine plans, and an old Martin fishing engine. My Dad on his limited budget, fashioned a kill switch for me with a standard set of breaker points screwed into the cockpit side. He ran the ignition wires to either side, tied a landyard string to a piece of plastic and stuck it between the contacts. It was deemed legal in our little local club. (I actually don't think anybody even looked at it) But it sucked 'cause the plastic landyard kept falling out during the race!
Ron, I think you'd have the same sort of problem there. The wrench will fall out too easily.
:)

Popa Sam
07-07-2012, 06:12 AM
My guess as to why it didn't pass inspection would be that it was not designed or sold by someone in "high position" with APBA. That's very important when safety is an issue.

Ron Hill
07-08-2012, 05:17 PM
Our family argued that more drivers of kneel down boats would be put into "Harms Way" because of the "Kill Switch". Our logic was, then and now, that more people will pull their "Kill Switches" at in opportune times and therefore be more apt to get run over, than the one "Stuck" throttle a year saved.

The only outboard I ever ran with a "Kill Switch" was Reed Riddle Super C. I won the Super C Runabout Nationals at Dayton, 1975, but the way I "HOOK UP" the kill switch was so you could not unplug it if you tried...I tied the tether around the clamp brackets...I figures, I want this mother to stop, I'll let go of the throttle.

Personally, I feel this kill switch didn't pass inspection because the inspector didn't like me, he had no empathy for old guys. He should have been more like a Supreme Court Judge and have feelings.

Ron Hill
05-04-2013, 08:24 PM
We are moving ahead with the Mini Boat Enduro, 2018, and if you need any help with throttle and or kill switches, contact me and I'll help you find what is needed.

I will also offer our shop, on Saturdays, to work on your Mini Boat.

capnzee
05-04-2013, 09:13 PM
Rules for the mini enduro--where can a complete set be found. Length of race, pit stops, course, classes, dates etc???COR boats fit in a class--10 boats ready to go???

capnzee
05-04-2013, 09:42 PM
Okay, so the CORS can run--now how about the rest of the rules as to course, length, pit stops, fueling etc. Where to be found??? Does the Mini Enduro have a web site? Entry Fees? Contact sources?

WaltZucher
05-05-2023, 02:03 AM
I was told my kill switch won't pass inspection.... Nakiri knives (https://sharpedgeshop.com/collections/japanese-knives/nakiri)

That sounds like a tough spot to be in! I'm sure the inspector has seen it all, so you could try approaching the situation from a different angle. Perhaps offering to install a new switch that meets their inspection standards or seeking their advice on the best way to get your vehicle up to code. Good luck!