PDA

View Full Version : outboard delima

rapid 1
01-16-2011, 07:41 AM
Hi
I am looking to re power I have a small go fast boat that weights about 250 pounds.
I have a stock 1977 55 Johnson on it but I am having water pump problem lower
unit will not separate. My cmc power trim unit is set up for short shaft motors
would like to find a good short shaft 1980's 55 hp . They are hard to find I am
currently looking at a Johnson 1987 stock 40 hp short shaft but can you do much to modify that ? I was going about 46 mph with what I had all stock would like to go a bit faster .

Thanks any help on this would be appreciated

Boatwrx
01-16-2011, 08:00 AM
I have a 1986 Johnson 40/50 short shaft exhaust housing with transom brackets and lower gear case for sale. This motor spent it's life on a fresh water, no wake, lake just north of Denver. Anyone interested can reach me at ken@boatwrx.com

OUTBOARDER
01-16-2011, 06:28 PM
how much for the mid-section?

thanks

Roy Hodges
01-16-2011, 06:39 PM
Hi
I am looking to re power I have a small go fast boat that weights about 250 pounds.
currently looking at a Johnson 1987 stock 40 hp short shaft but can you do much to modify that ? I was going about 46 mph with what I had all stock would like to go a bit faster .

Thanks any help on this would be appreciated....................................... ...........
.................................................. .................................................. .................................
I've removed a lower unit , by using a drill&hole saw to bore a hole in the tower ;then used a reciprocating saw in the hole to cut the drive shaft , then later pull the drive shaft and re-weld the drive shaft back together. That was on a 20 horse merc. Then replaced
the piece that was cut out ,using Marine Tex.

Lil' Blue Rude
01-16-2011, 07:30 PM
Yeah the 40hp can be modded.Carbs,exhaust,reeds,shave head,port work. I've heard of alot of guys bringing compresion up around 200psi on these motors and them still being reliable. I'd would say they have forged pistons to deal with that much pressure. If yoru buying a newer mtor why not get a 90's model motor with internal tilt/trim and remove the cmc unit? Just a thought.

Boatwrx
01-16-2011, 10:37 PM
Anthony,

The exhaust housing as shown in the photo is $185.00 plus freight. The lower gearcase is $260.00 plus freight. I can be reached at ken@boatwrx.com Thank's for the interest.

OUTBOARDER
01-17-2011, 01:03 PM
Anthony,

The exhaust housing as shown in the photo is $185.00 plus freight. The lower gearcase is $260.00 plus freight. I can be reached at ken@boatwrx.com Thank's for the interest.

Thanks!
You've got mail

OUTBOARDER
01-17-2011, 01:47 PM
Hi

Thanks any help on this would be appreciated

Go to smack boat section, Yamaha 50 triple with moded intake/head & low water p/u will
easily get you in the 50's++ with bolt-ons!

Let me know how it goes?