PDA

View Full Version : My McCulloch pics on Facebook

Mark75H
02-24-2011, 08:38 PM
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=o.164490603602037

Trying to stir up some interest and maybe shake some more of these out of the bushes.

I'm looking for a second 16" tower so I can run 2 on my Carlson

Mark75H
02-25-2011, 06:38 PM
A bunch more pictures up

A/B Speedliner
02-25-2011, 07:44 PM
Sam
Some real nice pictures of a historic time in our sport. Thanks for all of you efforts and help in our endeavors to help save all of the various racing engines of the past.
David

Mark75H
02-25-2011, 08:23 PM
Thanks David. I wish I could do more like you and your brother do making reproduction parts. You guys are being a very big help to the sport.

To those who haven't figured out how to break out of the pictures to join the group, here is the regular front door url for the group: http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=group_164490603602037

I've put up a bunch more pics and commentary

Allen J. Lang
02-26-2011, 08:09 AM
Sam, thanks for the facebook up dates. I remember at the NOA 1964 nationals on Lake Spivy where Jack Gosman got 5th place with a 590 that Bill Holland brought from the OPC nationals. Not the best showing as Jack was running a Coutts Craft cabover and the engine wasn't set up for a cabover and he had to almost climb over the bow to keep from blowing over. Quite a sight.:D

Mark75H
02-26-2011, 08:17 AM
Thanks for that info Allen. I've also heard a 590 placed 3rd at an APBA Nationals, but I'm not sure of the year ... '63 is my guess, but I could be wrong.

With a 3rd and 5th in their first few years, you would have thought they would be more encouraged to try to move up rather than what appears to have been giving up. This might be a question to put to Mr. Holland.

Master Oil Racing Team
02-26-2011, 08:50 AM
Unfortunately Bill passed away about five years ago. I never finished posting all the info I had about him. When I get a chance, I'll try to put up some more stuff and maybe answer some of your questions.

Mark75H
02-26-2011, 09:20 AM
That's sad news. He had written me a couple letters, seems like it was not long before that, but might have been farther back. You know how time flies sometimes.

Mark75H
03-10-2011, 06:54 AM
No racing parts here whatsoever: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Outboard-Racing-75-Scott-McCulloch-Powerhead-Parts-Lot-/220752201266

What may look like a special part to a Merc guy are actually completely standard on the 75.2 McCulloch

On a Mac, the very first thing to do would be square the ports. The tapered counterweights, thin rings, "flat topped" piston and "padded" hemi head are all standard Mac parts from the 1961 sleeper 75's to the last ones delivered in the later 1960's

If anyone wants more pictures of any particular part, let me know

JGOSMAN JR
03-11-2011, 09:13 PM
Sam, thanks for the facebook up dates. I remember at the NOA 1964 nationals on Lake Spivy where Jack Gosman got 5th place with a 590 that Bill Holland brought from the OPC nationals. Not the best showing as Jack was running a Coutts Craft cabover and the engine wasn't set up for a cabover and he had to almost climb over the bow to keep from blowing over. Quite a sight.:D

Hi Al,
I knew I had some old pictures of that cab over and Mac my dad had . I have not posted any pics here so bear with me . They are pretty old blurry from Midland Mich. Depending how they come out, I though you may see some old friends and see the boat you were refering to.
Johnny

Mark75H
03-11-2011, 09:22 PM
That's pretty wild. Do you have any more?

Gene East
03-12-2011, 05:34 AM
I remember a 590 on a runabout ran very well at a major race. Must have been at Alex or Lake Spivey since it was an NOA race (1 man in the boat).

Seems to me Raymond Jeffries was the driver. He caught a lot of "crap" for having an electric starter. Unheard of in those days!

Help me out Joe Rome. Surely you were there.

On a local note, Ron Sprick, the Scot/Mac dealer in Quincy ran a 630 adapted to a "D" Quicksilver L/U on a runabout in wildcat races years ago.

Ron was mentored by Eddie Palmer, an early associate of O.F. Christner. Eddie was the driver of the record setting boat that helped launch the success of Quincy Welding.

Ron ran pretty good with his hybred until the bottom of the boat came unlaminated.

Ron was a big splash that day!

Allen J. Lang
03-12-2011, 07:37 AM
Gene at the 1964 NOA nationals at Lake Spivey, Ray did run a 590 on his runabout. It was the same engine that Jack ran. They were pitted next to each other waiting for Bill Holland and crew to arrive from the OPC nationals. Due to the time, there was no time for any testing or set up. Ray tried to hard and spun out a couple of times. He told me you do not make mistakes like that when running for a manufacturer.
Thanks for the shots Johnny. Brings back memories. Are you or Dad going to run at all this year? :cool:

racewright
03-15-2011, 12:56 PM
Hey Al
In Johns picture--Dick Scopinnich,Bill Fales,Rick Fales Doug Bindrum& with all the hair your truly Pat Wright hahaha

JGOSMAN JR
03-19-2011, 02:43 PM
Hey Al
In Johns picture--Dick Scopinnich,Bill Fales,Rick Fales Doug Bindrum& with all the hair your truly Pat Wright hahaha

The other person there is Pete Kruzon. I remember him having a "C" loop and also a 3 cyl. OMC. I think his number was N-10.
I know my dad has some more pictures from that era somewhere. Problem is, he would have to scan them and when he gets too much "Tech" time on a computer he has about the same patience level as he would get when trying to set the gap on breaker points while someone pitted next to him was running a 20-H conversion on a test wheel.
Al. my dad is working on a boat he may run this year (perhaps) and I am still building boat molds along with both kids in little leauge. That may explain my plans for the near future anyway,
Johnny

Allen J. Lang
03-20-2011, 12:15 PM
Hi Pat. It was good to see some of the old crowd back in the day. :)

Hi Johnny, yes Pete Kruszon was N-10. That was the CRR rig I sold him.

Hey guys, thanks for the postings and comments. :D