PDA

View Full Version : Portsmouth,Ohio OPC/Vintage OPC race

largecar91
02-28-2011, 08:41 AM
The Buckeye Outboard assoc. is hosting an OPC race August 6/7, 2011. This race is being held at the same place the nationals and other races in Portsmouth were held for years. This is a great place for a boat race for the drivers and fans alike. I am sure alot of you have raced at Portsmouth before so you know how great of a site it is. We will be running SST120/SST60 and Supersport plus both days we will have Vintage OPC on the water. We want to invite all the Racers , Fans, and Vintage Boats to attend. This is a race put on by boat racers for boat racers. We think this will be a great venue for everyone. So come and watch todays current race boats or take a step back in time and see some great Vintage boats and drivers from yesteryear! Thanks

TBuck2003
02-28-2011, 01:58 PM
13R with a 49.9 cubic inch OMC from EP class qualify as vintage...?? Would love to go.

largecar91
02-28-2011, 02:16 PM
We would love to have you. An EP boat is absolutely Vintage. You must be a current APBA member. Vintage is cheap to join APBA. You will have other EP boats to run with. I know of one or two that are coming for sure already. That is a very nice looking Allison.

John Tiger
03-01-2011, 06:51 AM
this date conflicts with the Cross Lake, NY vintage event which is also for outboards

largecar91
03-01-2011, 08:25 AM
I know John but there are 600 miles difference between the 2.

dave hensel
03-04-2011, 07:50 AM
Barry you should get together with Tbuck & put your t2x on his 13 Allison.It would be like the NOA days.Only thing to work out is who drives?

TBuck2003
03-04-2011, 08:28 AM
Barry you should get together with Tbuck & put your t2x on his 13 Allison.It would be like the NOA days.Only thing to work out is who drives?

I think we could find enough laps for everybody...But I think we need to put the Stacker on !!!!

largecar91
03-04-2011, 10:08 AM
HHHMMM, I have a MX-13 I could toss it on.

John Tiger
03-05-2011, 10:00 AM
I know John but there are 600 miles difference between the 2.

I know, tough choice. Cross is closer for me plus if Roger, Brian and others are going there then I'll probably go there too.

John

largecar91
03-07-2011, 05:50 AM
I understand John. I have talked to Roger as well. We should have plenty boats with maybe a surprise or two!

homey
03-07-2011, 09:32 AM
Doesn't this conflict with the race in Huntington W.Va.? Not far upstream????

homey
03-07-2011, 10:54 AM
I do understand that Jerry. Somebody's gonna lose some 60 &120 boats.There's not enough races going on for this to happen.Maybe you can work it out. Bet most go to Huntington though.Good luck

largecar91
03-07-2011, 12:23 PM
You might lose that bet. We have tried to work things out with Sam and Sheron and we had too many things already set in stone on our race to really get any kind of compromise to work. All of us at Buckeye Outboard have raced with APR for a lot of years and will continue to race with them. We all hope Sam and Sherons race goes well and they get plenty of boats and have a great race. We hope to have many more local races and hopefully we will not conflict with anyone.

homey
03-07-2011, 01:26 PM
I do think it's great that you guys are trying to get another race going. Spent some days on that longggggg boat ramp.Best of luck to both races.

Brian Burkhardt
03-08-2011, 07:40 AM
I sure hope Sam and Sharon gives everybody plenty of notice if and went Huntington is off the the schedule. I have talked with many APR members that will show up at Portsmouth.

I,m sure I will see you all at Portsmouth...................

Brian
Buckeye Outboard Member #128

homey
03-08-2011, 08:08 AM
Brian,just curious as to why you would go to Portsmouth over Huntington? I don't have a horse in this race either way.

Brian Burkhardt
03-08-2011, 10:16 AM
Well Homey, Portsmouth is my home town and its a wonderful place to race, not only for the drivers but also for the spectators, not to mention it has the third largest boat ramp in the USA. Don't think its some singe ramp at some fish camp. And all drivers will get $500.00 to show,NOT JUST A HANDFUL. And if all goes as planned all drivers will receive $400.00 out of a $500.00 local sponser. Only $100.00 will go to our club. This is going to be a racers race,were not out to make money here, we just want to go and put on a good show for all.

So....................... Does that answer your ???????????????????

Brian Burkhardt
Buckeye outboard member #128

homey
03-08-2011, 10:51 AM
Thanks for relpying Brian. I want to go to one of these races. Guess I could go to one on Sat and the other on Sun.How about a roll call? Come on everybody .Own up to where you're planning on going so I'll know where the fast boats will be.Portsmouth or Huntington.?
Book----Portsmouth
B.Wolf---Portsmouth
Burkhart-Portsmouth
NEXT???

Brian Burkhardt
03-08-2011, 01:06 PM
Another note on Portsmouth Race. This is also the same weekend of the Roy Rogers festival. Roy grew up in Portsmouth as a child. The festival is wonderful. Roy,s son Dusty will be performing there. I had the prilage of meating Roy back in 1982 when he came back home for River Day,s. I was standing on the dock with him and he was checking out the pace boat and he said I want to take that boat for spin. Of course nobody said no. So he handed me his Cowboy Hat and what a show he put on for all of us. Roy raced in the very first boat race they had in Portsmouth, I'm not sure of the year. Barry might be able to find that out for us. Anyway, It will be a good time for all.

Also, I want everybody to remember one thing........ Potsmouth, Ohio is where SOUTHERN HOSPITALITY BEGAN

Hope to see you all in Portsmouth,Oh

Brian Burkhardt
Buckeye Outboard Member #128

Brian Burkhardt
03-10-2011, 08:48 PM
Roy Rogers raced in Portsmouth's first race in 1961.

Go.................... Buckeye Outboard

dave hensel
03-11-2011, 08:16 AM
since I am the one that picked the date here's the story.Back in October 2010 I checked web sites contacted clubs made calls to people that I heard might have a race.Not to conflick with anyone.Mind you this was not just in our region but east of the mississippi.When I contacted APBA for the open date to be put on there web sight for every one to see I was told no one has ever done this,this early.I was sent the conformation of the sanction on OCTOBER 11,2010 with application # & pass word by email from APBA.These are the Facts.Since then this race has grown more then the BOA had dreamed of thanks to the people of portsmouth.If you love boat racing like the members of the BOA. This will be a great race! As far as the fast boats being in huntington,(I'll bet)

Brian Burkhardt
03-12-2011, 08:41 PM
Hey Homey,

Where are you, Havent heard from you lately.

Burkhardt

dave hensel
03-13-2011, 11:22 AM
maybe there van is stuck in the mud. New Martinsville WV. had a lot of rain.

Brian Burkhardt
03-13-2011, 02:29 PM
Thats funny Dave. Are you back home from Florida.

Brian

dave hensel
03-13-2011, 07:51 PM
got back thurs night.had a great time in lakeland.it was fun to watch all the class.2 L hydro was a great race & I love those super sport guys thats what racing is all about.whats the vertic on your motor?

Brian Burkhardt
03-13-2011, 09:06 PM
Hi Dave,

What a crappy weekend I had, We had motor problems all wekend. I put a new driver in my boat running Mod U, He loved it. We now have a OPCer. We stuck # 5 cyl in the finals of SST120. Oh well thats racing.

We have alot of support coming our way for Portsmouth.

See you in Portsmouth.

Brian

Brian Burkhardt
03-17-2011, 01:57 PM
Homey, Where are you.....................!

homey
03-23-2011, 06:48 AM
Right here Brian. Noticed nobody made the roll call. Stick a cylinder in a 120? WOW!!!!!!!

Brian Burkhardt
03-23-2011, 02:16 PM
The roll call will come in time. Things are coming together nicely for portsmouth,. Have you made up your mind where you are going yet............. I sure wish sam & sharon the best of luck on there race. Apr is such a wonderful venue. They have been good too all of us for many years. We are sure going to miss jeff and carol reno at potsmouth and bill & sharon.mastro. So, where ever you go you will see and be around a good family of boat racers.

Oh well......... Time to rebuild a motor.

Burkhardt

Brian Burkhardt
03-27-2011, 11:05 AM
OK........ It,s time, Who is coming to Portsmouth.

Classes Are. SST120, SST60, Super Sport, OPC Vintage

Buckeye Outboard

Burkhardt

dave hensel
03-28-2011, 07:24 AM
Brian I dont think you will get a roll call at this time. There are to many things up in the air at this time. (you know what they are.) What I can say is Portsmouth well have plenty of boats it will be a great race & a great time had by all. See you there!

Brian Burkhardt
03-28-2011, 01:06 PM
Brian Burkhardt

Class: SST 120

Club: Buckeye Outboard

APBA# 5324

Boat# 28

See You All In Portsmouth

Burkhardt

Brian Burkhardt
04-30-2011, 01:48 PM
May 1ST is just around the corner .So August is not far away. Lets get ready for a good weekend of racing and fun.

See You All Soon:

RForeman
05-19-2011, 07:07 PM
Why don't you run 60 race in Portsmouth on Saturday
And 120 on Sunday and the opposite days
In Huntington. That way all boats can go to
Both races.... That would be best for the
Sport and drivers.

three_banger_omc
05-20-2011, 02:58 AM
Agreed. We will be attending Huntington on the same weekend to bad they are on the same weekend.

dave hensel
05-20-2011, 04:46 AM
is huntington on for sure? portsmouth is we will have a full field of 60 & more 120 than we know what to do with.i hear all supersports in the country will be there. roddy & paul we are boat racers putting on a race we look at what is best for the racers.that in turn is whats good for region 6 & apba.if you guys would would like to give me a call my # is (513) 616-4238. be glad to talk to both of you, or anyone else. paul I hope this means your going to race this year? I always liked the mohawk boat there.

RForeman
05-20-2011, 05:30 AM
I spoke with Sam yesterday and Huntington is on. APR has been a supporter of our racing for 25 yrs.... let's try to work together and make sure the maximum # of boats are at both events. Run sst-60 one day and sst-120 the other... get max boats at both events. Plus the racers collect prize money and points for both races. That would attract boats!!!...and my sponsors would love it. Will give you a call -Roddy

f1dreamer9
05-20-2011, 08:26 AM
If both groups want to do what is "best for the racer, region, and apba" they would work together. Our sport is struggling a bit and we absolutely do not need each of these two groups putting themselves ahead of the sport itself. And to the racers, if these groups do come to an agreement to share the classes in question support both groups.

We need to be united in building this sport of boat racing back to what we all once knew it to be. Please look at the big picture. All of OPC would benefit.

largecar91
05-23-2011, 06:27 AM
Here is a picture from the race at Portsmouth, Ohio in the late 60's. Some of the boats in this picture might be attending this year. We will have a lot of boats running this year. Hopefully this will be an annual event like it use to.

mxp864
05-23-2011, 06:39 AM
So.....are you saying it's too late to run one class saturday and the other sunday? Nothing can be done? Keep in mind, the top 8 teams or so are under contract to be at Huntington.

largecar91
05-23-2011, 07:14 AM
Toby, we put this to a vote a while back after talking to Sam and no one wanted to pick up their pits and move from one site to another. Also there would be a 2nd entry fee involved plus motels at 2 different places. Also there are several teams that race both 60 and 120 or help out drivers in other classes so they could not do this. All the members of the BOA race commitee cannot leave the race site at Portsmouth to go to Huntington to race. These are just some of the issues we are up against.

mxp864
05-23-2011, 07:48 AM
But, as a racer, if I had the chance to hit two races in one weekend, I would do it in a second. Especially, when they are so close, geographically speaking.

The hotel cost is a null point, you have to pay for 2-3 nights a race weekend anyway.

Of course, the race committee members couldn't leave the site-there is way too much going on. The 60-120 teams have also made their choice.

If I can make a weekend trip and I'm spending the money to travel, the entry fee is a nominal expense to endure for the chance at two prize monies/tow monies.

Pittsburgh 2009 was both classes- one day- with alot of logistical reasons as to why it couldn't/shouldn't happen. Portsmouth has a pretty efficient ramp from what I gather. I'm just sayin. Thinking of reasons it can happen, not why it can't.

If it can't be done, it can't be done and I respect that. I would go to both races given the opportunity. In fact I would be more likely to attend both BECAUSE they were on the same weekend and so close, as opposed to making another trip on say, the following weekend or previous.

RForeman
05-23-2011, 11:02 AM
Most teams I have talked to want to race at boat events. Hotels not an issue, crew and help no issue, paying entry fees at both is not an issue.

So, let's coordinate and have 120 one day and 60 the other day at both events. -Roddy

tahawk
05-23-2011, 08:58 PM
you apr guys need to wake and relize i takes every body to make these races happen.;sounds to me like with a little team playing this thing could work out for everyone.origanizors may not agree but without the racers we kill 2 good spots. i have raced in the past at both places from se/sst-60-and sst-120(from the early 80s thru the mid 90s at the tri state fair and regatta and had a great time. all you guys need to pull together .hope yall can work it out

Jakob77
05-25-2011, 04:56 AM
Most teams I have talked to want to race at boat events. Hotels not an issue, crew and help no issue, paying entry fees at both is not an issue.

So, let's coordinate and have 120 one day and 60 the other day at both events. -Roddy

We don't want to race at both places.

I don't want to run my entire event in one day in case of issues and we also share crew between classes. In fact, 60 drivers are 120 crew and 120 drivers are 60 crew.

I completely support the BOA guys and it's not their fault the schedule got screwed up, but I don't want to compromise a series event by trying to run the class in one day.

That's my opinion.

Mark

RForeman
05-25-2011, 07:02 AM
Understand Mark. It seems there are actually a few teams that I did not reach out to that are in the same "boat"... sharing crew, 2 boat teams etc.

This type of poor organization of race dates really hurts our sport . As we work to obtain and recruit new sponsors they become uninterested when they attend a race with less than 10 boats on the water per class.

Hopefully, we will learn from this and drive better race date coordination in the future. -Roddy #22

Jakob77
05-25-2011, 08:28 AM
Understand Mark. It seems there are actually a few teams that I did not reach out to that are in the same "boat"... sharing crew, 2 boat teams etc.

This type of poor organization of race dates really hurts our sport . As we work to obtain and recruit new sponsors they become uninterested when they attend a race with less than 10 boats on the water per class.

Hopefully, we will learn from this and drive better race date coordination in the future. -Roddy #22

I really don't think that poor organization has anything to do with it. I don't know why you insist on bad mouthing all of the people that are working to put on these races. Both APR and BOA should be applauded for the effort that they've put into getting race sites and putting on these events. Hopefully, one of them can convince their city to move the date next year so the events no longer conflict.

I thought I explained to you that what's keeping these two events on the same weekend is the events themselves. Neither APR or BOA can do anything about it, except to cancel one event or the other, which would only piss off the site for next year.

So now I ask you, what would you do differently if you were in charge of either APR or BOA? Would you cancel your event so as not to conflict with the other or would you put your race on and request that the other group cancel their event?

Don't just point fingers unless you understand the problems.

Mark

RForeman
05-25-2011, 12:08 PM
Mark,

I am extremely grateful for the folks that get us races. I am making the point that Toby and others here have voiced... organizers should coordinate the dates. We do not have a field of 100 boats to split. We have enough boats for 1 race to be a good show. My first post was to try and allow both races to have a good showing... my other post was to make the point that the good people doing the work to have these races need to coordinate the dates.

Here are the facts on the conflict:
1. APR established the Huntington dates on September 18, 2010 and went public at the Year End Meeting on October 15, 2010.
2. I don't know if the group in Portsmouth established their dates before September 18. If they did, why did someone from that group not call APR to see if there would be a conflict? (APR is the only organization who have been doing races in this part of the country for many years).
3. APR has told me that had they known about this in September, they could have moved the dates to July 30-31, 2011.
4. APR offered to split the classes in January to allow drivers the opportunity to race both, if they so choose---Portsmouth declined.

I just want to see better race date organization so that my sponsors get the best exposure. Not "bad mouthing" anyone. -Roddy

boatmark59
05-25-2011, 12:29 PM
As someone long out of competition, I hesitate to voice an opinion, but it just seems like this could be worked out for the greater good of the fans and the sport.

I am looking at a poster on my office wall as I type for the Nassau Bahamas race in 1985. We ran a full field of Champ boats (both American and European) in Nassau one weekend, and Miami the next. Transporters and teams moved by freighter and back on the water four days later. We are only talking about 46 miles between Portsmouth and Huntington.

Why not run the classes on opposite days so that those who can, and wish to, can run both cities. Throw some money in from both ends and call it the great "Battle for the Ohio River" - extra prize money for the top combined finishers. Use it for PR value, and build the field in both places. Not everyone will, but some will, and that is good for the fans and the sport.

largecar91
05-25-2011, 01:22 PM
This is the last time I am going to address this matter. I am not going to get into a "pissing match" on an open internet forum. 1st off I was not aware we had to get anyones (other than APBA) approval to put on a race. 2nd, When we set this date last year at the request of the city of Portsmouth no one had any OPC races scheduled with APBA on this date so we put it on APBA's schedule and went ahead with making the race happen. As for "Poor Organization" , you try to put on a race and then let us know what you think! I have nothing but respect for Sam and Sheron for being able to put on all these races all these years. We understand a little more now what they went thru. There is always someone complaining that your not doing it right or they can do it better. All the BOA has tried to do is bring more local races to region 6. We are not a series nor do we want to be. So the bottom line is simple, either come to Portsmouth or Huntington. Things cannot be changed at this stage of the game. We all at BOA hope Sam and Sheron's have a great and safe race. Those of you that are coming to Portsmouth, we will see you there. Thank you. Barry Wolf

Brian Burkhardt
06-04-2011, 03:11 PM
Sure sounds like Portsmouth is going to be a great race. Again thiis is my home town which I love dearly. I sure hope curtain one's don't mess thing up. Remember Portsmouth is where Southern Hospitality Began.

Brian Burkhardt

SST 120

Boat # 28

Club FORA

Hope to see you all soon

Brian Burkhardt
06-12-2011, 02:43 PM
Whats going on with the Portsmouth race, haven't heard from the so called Powers To Be.

Burkhardt

jerry book
06-22-2011, 06:27 PM
Anyone wanting to preregister for the Portsmouth race please send your entry to
Buckeye Outboard Association
93 Zeigler lane
Stout Ohio
You can download the entry form here
http://apba-racing.com/Forms/2006/2006%20Scorers%20Entry%20Form%20Print.pdf

jerry book
06-28-2011, 09:47 AM
The Host hotel for Portsmouth is the Ameristay 3762 US rt 23 N Portsmouth Ohio 740 354 2851 The rooms are 44.95 plus tax be sure to mention the boat races to get the discount

largecar91
07-26-2011, 01:27 PM
SST 45's have been added to the schedule for the Portsmouth race. Here is a link to the new sanction. Prize money for SST 45 will be $4000.00.

Brian Burkhardt
07-26-2011, 05:27 PM
I tried 6 months ago to get 45's on the schedule. Bud Nolman said he would have 22 there. who has put up the prize money.

Brian

les_blue
07-28-2011, 12:32 AM
Hey Guys,
The link at OPCRace needs to be updated with the 45 SST info

http://opcrace.com/news/portsmouth-challlenge-apba-sanction

Who else is coming with a 45?

Larry Spencer

TBuck2003
08-02-2011, 11:41 AM
Who all is bringing a Vintage ???

Todd

jerry book
08-02-2011, 06:43 PM
I know of a 68 13 ft allison with a 75 evinrude that has been restored and is being rigged now,a 73 13 ft allison with and 85 mercury,a dutchman with a stacker,one other boat with a stacker on it and your critchfield. I know there will be more I am just not sure who else will be there. We are planning on giving the vintage boats time on the water both saturday and sunday.

dave hensel
08-08-2011, 04:57 AM
I guess I will be the first to comment. To much to say about the time I had so I will just say WOW WHAT A GREAT RACE ! I never had so much fun for so little money. Thank you Erica all your people & the great people of Portsmouth. If APBA could put this In a bottle & sell it .It would be illegal.

TBuck2003
08-08-2011, 06:39 AM
Great to see racing back in Portsmouth!!! Growing up watching racing in the 70's and 80's the Ohio River area was the hot bed of OPC. My sincere thanks goes out to the BOA and all who made this event possible. I believe it is Erica who dots all the I's and crosses the T's and that she did, it was organized, and run on time, in a very professional manner. Thanks to Barry, Gordon, and whoever else that made it possible to run OPC Vintage, we had a BLAST !!!!!

Todd

jerry book
08-08-2011, 10:12 AM
I would like to thank everyone who attended the race. there was some great racing going on. It was my first time back in my boat since 2002 I am looking forward to Kankakee. This was a good event the reviews so far have all been positive and everyone islooking forward to next year. I was told by several drivers this was the first time that they were going home with more in their pocket than they brought with them.
Onec again THANK YOU for all those who attended and we hope to see you back next year
Jerry Book

Super Sport on Saturday

jerry book
08-08-2011, 07:08 PM
Sst 120

jerry book
08-08-2011, 07:15 PM
Super Sport

largecar91
08-09-2011, 05:57 AM
Todd, not sure if you saw Sundays Portsmouth paper or not but you were on the Front page! I have a copy and will try to get it posted soon. It sure looks cool a Critchfield aired out on the front page. Thanks again to everyone for coming. The race was the funest race I have been to in many, many years. This was also the first time that I know of that any inline stackers have run in many many years. We had 2 of them running. What a sound!!

largecar91
08-09-2011, 06:38 AM
Here a few pictures of My Dutchman and Dales stackers at Portsmouth this past weekend. Mine didn't look pretty but once you fired them up and put them in the water it really didn't matter to me anymore. Dale's Glastron CT-15 is absolutely beautiful. We ran them Saturday and it had to be the 1st time any inline stackers had been on a race course in probably 35 years. I had a friend of mine drive it because I was too busy with the race but even sitting on shore watching was an awesome sight!!

TBuck2003
08-09-2011, 07:43 AM
Todd, not sure if you saw Sundays Portsmouth paper or not but you were on the Front page! I have a copy and will try to get it posted soon. It sure looks cool a Critchfield aired out on the front page. Thanks again to everyone for coming. The race was the funest race I have been to in many, many years. This was also the first time that I know of that any inline stackers have run in many many years. We had 2 of them running. What a sound!!

Barry,
That is so cool !!!! I for sure would like to see it. Thanks again for having us down we had a KILLER time. Matt can't stop talking about it. Running on the course with the stackers was a thrill, my whole insides were vibrating, when we were running. Takes a special breed to like that noise and smell in your face !!!! Thanks again,

Todd:D

largecar91
08-09-2011, 07:52 AM
I have the paper at home in my pick up. I will get you a copy. You will want to keep this one. It is a big front page picture. Just a close up of you air out.

les_blue
08-09-2011, 08:53 AM

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/U3jRuvD6s2U?hl=en&fs=1" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I know Barry's is the grey boat, Anyone know who owns the yellow beast?

largecar91
08-09-2011, 09:25 AM
Dale Littlejohn owns the Glastron CT-15 and it is a very beautiful boat!! Dale and I both had some issues with our boats but they still got out and ran. Both of us had trim problems and I had a cylinder missing and Dale had some fuel problems but we will get these things worked out.

les_blue
08-09-2011, 01:06 PM
Dale Littlejohn owns the Glastron CT-15 and it is a very beautiful boat!! Dale and I both had some issues with our boats but they still got out and ran. Both of us had trim problems and I had a cylinder missing and Dale had some fuel problems but we will get these things worked out.
Thanks, I wanted to credit him on the pics I posted of his boat. I like your gray one, It's more my style. :)
Larry

largecar91
08-09-2011, 01:11 PM
Larry , I wanted to throw a quick paint job on it but it wouldn't have done it justice so I will put a nice paint job on it and do it right. Next time it should look different.

Don Jenkinson
08-09-2011, 02:47 PM
Any results from Portsmouth F2?

jose jr21.
08-09-2011, 05:51 PM
1. Dan Orchard
2. Jeff Reno
3. Jerry Guinn
4. Del Book
5. Barry Wolf
6. Stacy Funk
7. Brian Burkhardt
8. Dave Hensel

dave hensel
08-14-2011, 06:18 AM
I did not what to list all the great things that happen to me during the Portsmouth race,it would fill this board. but I have to thank you vintage guys. You guys took me back in time first with the ep them the gp & the stackers, all the way back to 1968.I was a kid again & for that I thank you all. Barry maybe a wing or two next year? (hint, hint)