PDA

View Full Version : Jeff does this look familiar?

BustnlooseIII
07-12-2005, 06:59 AM
Mr. Lytle do you know this boat? Or can anyone else guess whose it is/was? Hint: nevermind the number. I'll give you awhile then post again.

Whoa! Resized to 1/20 the original file size. Use 72dpi AND jpg compression level 3 for images, pretty please! ;)

Jeff Lytle
07-12-2005, 09:42 AM
It's not my old boat, the one I sold your Dad. What ever became of her??

Judging from the era and the rear cowling, it almost looks like one of Neil LaRoses early kneeler boats, conwerted to a laydown.

Wait, I think I got it.........It looks like Marty's 500/700 boat. Jack's Original Pizza.

Am I warm?

BustnlooseIII
07-12-2005, 10:40 AM
Sorry, about the size. I'm not sure how to resize the picture. Jeff, unless I'm completely mistaken, this is your old boat. The guy that had it last took and converted it to a laydown. He had a 500 yamato that he ran on it (therefore the different cowling.) It did very well at the 500H worlds in Lakeland way back when. And yes it also served as one of the Jack's Pizza boats (before this paint job.) It seems to be in good shape yet and has been a dust collector for the past few years. I just thought you might get a kick out of seeing it again.

Jeff Lytle
07-12-2005, 10:48 AM
Reasons why I didn't think it was mine:

It had the sasafrass/walnut rails on the top of the coamings, and the throttle was mounted up top like a kneeler.

To be honest, the only thing I saw that looked anything like the original was the ring in the front !! :D

Thanks for the pic.......any more??

Ther was a problem with it after about year three. It warped!! It was always draggin' the left sponson. I asked Gary about it, and he said "Pull the pipes".
Thanks Gary!! :rolleyes:
Turns out it had a bad hook in the rear tunnel area. I bet if you check the bottom, you'll see a pad MArty added to make it fly straight.

Say hi to MArty for me??

Jeff

BustnlooseIII
07-12-2005, 11:26 AM
Will do. I do have a couple more pictures. Wish I knew how to resize them. Maybe I can send them to you in an email. Yes, the bottom of that boat was a little cocka. I saw the previous owner spin it a few times. One thing that helped in the turns was the addition of a larger turning fin bracket. I told my dad I was going to post the picture and he smiled and figured you'd get a kick out of it. We have thought of putting in the water again for the heck of it. The steering wheel is still better suited for a driver that is kneeling, though. If you lay in it you can only grasp and turn the wheel from the bottom (you cannot grab it from the side because there's not enough room for your elbow to maneuver around.) I'm not sure that's the most safe thing at 110+mph. Although, the previous owner did it. If we do get it out there again I'll let you know.

Jeff Lytle
07-12-2005, 03:16 PM
I remember when I mounted the wheel, I set it to the left as far as I could go just to leave room for my knuckles. It was tight as a kneeler too.

I remember being at a race with your Dad. We were running 700ccH and we were told at the drivers meeting they were going to give us a Lemans or jetty start. I only brought my best prop with me so I didn't have much choice in the matter, but your Dad wandered over with his prop box, opened it, and asked me to choose the one he should run. I was a bit baffled at the whole thing, but chose the biggest one he had--A big meaty cleaver.

Guess what?? He won!!............Pete Nydahl finished 2nd, and I was 3rd.
That was the year after he won the Nationals, he was really quick on the straights, so was Pete.
I remember the boat he had.........Bustin' Loose, the Jack's Pizza boat. On the cowl, he had one word----"Nuts" I asked him what it was all about. He told me a pit man he had once coined the word and it stuck. Seems Marty asked him to do something a particular way, and he replied: "Ok.....You da' Nuts". That has still stuck with me all these years.

Another thing he did for me is something I'll never forget. I arrived at a race with a for sale sign in the car as well as my complete rig. MY Wife and I were house hunting, and figured I'd go fishing to see if I could get an offer on the whole rig.
Alot of guys came to have a look, but no offers. Your Dad, and your Grandfather came over, and had a good look. I was willing to deal, and offered them a price I knew would sell it if they were serious. Marty said he needed a bigger boat for 1100H, and mine was bigger than average.
There were some hums and hahs, untill I offered ALL of my gear with the deal. Simpson helmet, Simpson gloves, security chute jacket--the works.
We made the deal................As the day wore on, I started thinking about the personal stuff I had thrown in to sweeten the pot, and took a stroll over to talk to Marty about it. He asked his Dad about me keeping the safety equipment and his answer was fast and to the point. NO, a deal is a deal.
He was right, and I knew it.
Marty came to me after and sort of explained that his Dad was a staunch businessman, and a deal is a deal. I couldn't argue with him, and after the day was over, I helped load all my stuff into, and onto his trailer.

I had my money, and we bought that house.

Two years afterwards, I decided to go to a race just to get a fix, and visit with some old freinds. I saw your Dad walking towards me, and he about turned and literally ran to his trailer saying he had something for me.........It was my Simpson helmet. He said he carried it around with him hoping we would meet again someday.

What does that say abvout your Father?? To me, it meant alot, and he is one of the resaons I miss the PRO boys so much----cause' of guys like Marty Stahl.

Get him on here !! We need him!!

Send the pics to ajlytle@symatico.ca and I'll resize them if there too big.

By the way............Mr. Lytle is my Father, call me Jeff, OK?

BustnlooseIII
07-13-2005, 07:46 AM
Jeff, I sent you an email. So, I don't hog this thread. I love hearing those stories!

PULL tha PIPES!

Yep, there's is nothing that can describe that feeling of pulling the pipes. I'm glad you got one helluva ride David. That's what makes those pro boats so addicting. I've often told people that I would recommend never trying it. Because once you do, you'll be hooked. Don't do it and you never know what you're missing right?

Master Oil Racing Team
07-13-2005, 07:50 AM
That's about right David. When I set a Kilo record in 76 we did it with our competiton set up. The water was rough. Tim told me to go around the island, hook a left like I was coming out of a turn and punch it. He didn't want a big prop with a long starting chute, and a long winding approach. He wanted quick acceleration to get the bottom up. We didn't have any cleavers then. It wasn't much more than 100 yards to the traps in the approach I took.

Back in the winter of 73 Tim was down for testing and he wanted to see what the boat would do accelerating hard. I don't remember exactly what he was researching at the time, but we had the 700cc Konig on the first CDF boat he built. He was working on new designs and he had me approach him at around 30-35 mph and then nail it. He was in a pickup boat and just before I would get to him, I would punch the throttle. We did this half a dozen times or more. Don't remember if he had movies taken (no video then), but someone took pictures. I have one of the "Hookin' Bull" accelerating hard and rolling water underneath the bottom. I will post it sometime on the Tim Butts thread where he will find it when he signs up.

Jeff Lytle
08-19-2005, 10:51 AM
Marty after we loaded my rig on his trailer.

Jeff Lytle
08-19-2005, 10:53 AM
Is one of the "Jacks" crew you??

This was taken in Fulton in the eighties.

Ed sure looks worried!! :D

BustnlooseIII
08-19-2005, 11:12 AM
Those pics bring back some fond memories. The one of my Dad looks like it was just taken yesterday :) I believe that's me on the left (back of the Ed's boat. It's funny because I was just thinking about that race the other day. My other buddy in the picture, Ben, only went to a few races. His father just recently passed and I was thinking of the good times Ben and a bunch of us had. This race for some reason always sticks out as a funny memory of him. He was always goofing around and said some of the funniest things. Thanks for the memory trip.