PDA

View Full Version : Nikasil coatings

quick2008
07-07-2011, 11:50 PM
Hi Guys,

Wondering if anyone knows if I can get away with a "hone only" for a nikasil bore coating for a top end rebuild of an engine? ( 2 stroke )

Has never ceased, minor marks from wear over time, good condition
Trying to avoid the hideous cost of getting it re-done.

Does anyone have much experience with nikasil coatings??

Any advice would be appreciated !

Cheers :)

Bill Van Steenwyk
07-08-2011, 11:45 AM
unless you have the proper hone, and experience. It can and is done, both for your purpose and to fit skirt clearance on new pistons after cylinder wall is re-done, but requires a special diamond hone and knowledge of how to use it. Sunnen makes the one I am familiar with, there may be more. Based on personal experience, use a ball or non-diamond hone at your own risk!!

Call "Don" at 225-293-9851. He has these special hones, much experience using them on Nikisil, and also can sleeve Nikisil blocks. He has done MANY Merc V-6 blocks over the last 10-15 years. He built engines (and still does) for a National and World Champ PRO (alky) racing teams.

There are others that do this work also. If Don can't help you PM me and I will give you some more names.

quick2008
08-02-2011, 08:25 PM
Thanks bill, have teed up the work with a local shop. cheers:)

Randy Aveline
08-10-2011, 08:33 PM
Hi Guys,

Wondering if anyone knows if I can get away with a "hone only" for a nikasil bore coating for a top end rebuild of an engine? ( 2 stroke )

Has never ceased, minor marks from wear over time, good condition
Trying to avoid the hideous cost of getting it re-done.

Does anyone have much experience with nikasil coatings??

Any advice would be appreciated !

Cheers :)

you should give Jim Ruck from Oshkosh WI a call i bet he can fix you right up with what you are wanting to do! he works on 2 4 6 cyl Merc and OMC engines all the time
920 233 3833 hope this helps you

regards Randy 23-H

hydroplay
08-11-2011, 02:52 PM
you should give Jim Ruck from Oshkosh WI a call i bet he can fix you right up with what you are wanting to do! he works on 2 4 6 cyl Merc and OMC engines all the time
920 233 3833 hope this helps you

regards Randy 23-H

and he's not far from US Chrome