PDA

View Full Version : Pics of my hydro and kg-9

aleconthelake
07-14-2011, 08:44 AM
Hello everyone
Here are some pics of the hydro and kg-9 I said I would post.

F-12
07-14-2011, 09:02 AM
Looks like fun................

aleconthelake
07-14-2011, 09:08 AM
Yes it is! I know the boat has been raced in its day, You can see the battle scars! LOL. Now it is just fun and something of a show peice but she still goes like a bat outa hell!

JohnsonM50
07-14-2011, 09:41 AM
Nice! Great paint job.:cool: Who cares about scars? :D Its meant to run.

DeanFHobart
07-15-2011, 07:34 AM
Very nice outfit. Scars and dings give the outfit character !!!

I always got a kick that Mercury called KG-9's 25 horsepower. At 40 cubic inches they were at 40 horsepower or so.

The brass propeller is true to the era. You could probably go faster with a good stainless steel propeller. Try to find a good Mercury Kamic D Stock Hydro propeller

You probably can go over 60 mph.

Do you know the make or builder of your boat??

Good Luck And Have Fun.

aleconthelake
07-15-2011, 03:44 PM
Hello
Thanks for the comments. I appreciate it. The boat is a homebuilt boat. Supposedly it was built in 1961. The bottom is 1/4" plywood the decks are 1/8" all over a spruce frame.I got the boat in 1975 for 50 bucks.The decks were pretty much destroyed when I got it. I had gotten the KG-9 the year before in a basket also for 50 bucks. The boat came from Kingston NY. When i first ran it my cousin had a Grady White invader with a 50 merc on it that would run about 60. used to go by him like he was going backwards. I was 60 pounds lighter then and the boat still had the original bottom on it. When i was 17 I hit a wave funny or nosed in or hit something in the lake, not really sure. All I know is I ended up in the drink way out in front of the boat. I swam back to the boat and went to climb in and noticed it was filling up with water.... So I swam around to the front of it and found the first third of the bottom was pretty much gone and the left sponson was hurt pretty bad. We got it to shore and got it home. To fix the boat I end up putting a little step in the bottom about even with the rear of the front sponsons. Boat has never been the same. Still goes like hell but just doesnt feel like its right on the edge of being out of control like it used to. Still goes liek hell and is an absolute thrill to drive

aleconthelake
07-15-2011, 03:48 PM
The boat has other repairs that are obvious old race scars. The decks when I bought the boat had a series of scars accross them where a propeller had walked accross them.. Wish I could have left them ion the boat but the decks for obliterated.

Ron Hill
07-15-2011, 08:30 PM
I'm going to stick my neck out here and say this is an O'Conner "A" Alky Hydro. Bob Henry from somewhere in NY ran an O'Conner hydro with a Quincy Looper "A" in '67-68 at DePue.

Bob Henry had a Dodge station wagon and carried the boat on top. He parked the car down hill, and the gas siphoned from the tank to the carb an filled his crankcase with gas, he said this was the second time it happened.

The O"Conner Hydros were built in NY, and this sure looks like one...

ADD:

To Dean Hobart...Those brass two blades were faster than HELL......They didn't last long, but we called the "JUMPING OJ's" as they would "LIGHT UP" a D Hydro, while they lasted...You can call Jimbo McConnell or Russ Hill Jr, today and ask them about "JUMPING OJ's"....

aleconthelake
07-15-2011, 09:27 PM
Funny that old brass two blade on the 9... One blade is just about flatened right out. I probably should take it to a good prop bender and get it right... Its been that way since I got the motor. Dad noticed it right away but I think he ignored it cause he knew how unplugged I could get as a kid. besides that boat still goes like hell! Funny story, The whole neighborhood at Orange Lake knows this boat and the whole neighborhood can be pretty unplugged at times. I let one of my buddies take it out for a ride.... He wont go near it anymore ... All he says when he sees it is, "one second I was in the boat, the next second I was out looking in and the next second I was back in it.... that was enough!" LOL and he can be as unplugged as they come!

aleconthelake
07-15-2011, 09:32 PM
As far as the boat be an A alchy or an Oconnor boat I really couldnt tell you. I just dont know. Is there any way I can tell? Did the Oconnor boats have any special markings? As I said I was only 14 when I got the boat. All I knew back then was it was really fast and really cool and I was the only kid around that had one!

aleconthelake
07-15-2011, 09:33 PM
I will say this, For some reason the name Bob Henry is striking a chord. The guy I bought the boat from might have been him... I dont know. the name rings a bell though.

Ron Hill
07-17-2011, 10:06 PM
http://hydroracer.net/forums/showthread.php?t=21887

Saw this post on Hydroracedr.net and it makes me think this hydro is a O'Conner...

J. Sherlock
07-25-2011, 06:19 PM
Hello
The boat came from Kingston NY.

That boat may have been one of mine or a good friend................

John Sherlock, from KIngston, NY

http://rides.webshots.com/album/558268606yufiJA

aleconthelake
07-28-2011, 03:12 AM
Hi John
I bought the boat from somebody in Kingston in 1975. I can take some pictures of a couple of the patches in the sponsons that you might be ablr to identify. I would love to know more about the boat.

J. Sherlock
07-28-2011, 05:06 AM
Hi John
I bought the boat from somebody in Kingston in 1975. I can take some pictures of a couple of the patches in the sponsons that you might be ablr to identify. I would love to know more about the boat.

Pictures are always a help. Is the deck fabric or wood? We had both over the years and the wood boat had a Heath Kit Tach. in it that I built from one of the kits.....
You may have the one that a Gus Stopzenski owned.

aleconthelake
08-03-2011, 05:02 PM
Sorry for the delay replying. Been up in the adirondacks on vacation for the last week or so. The boat has wood decks . I'm not sure what the tach your talking about is. I've had the boat since I was 14 and have run it like crazy when I was a kid but really I am a real novice when it comes to hydro knowledge. I have never raced it . A 23 year military career and spending a lot of time in the middle east kinda got in the way. I wanted to take the boat up to Cross Lake this weekend but it doesnt look ike I'm going to make it. Would love to get around a bunch of people who really know what they are talking about whern it comes to these boats. I have to take some pics of some of the patches in the sponsons maybe youguys could identify the boat from them...

JohnsonM50
08-03-2011, 06:07 PM
Sorry for the delay replying. Been up in the adirondacks on vacation for the last week or so. The boat has wood decks . I'm not sure what the tach your talking about is. I've had the boat since I was 14 and have run it like crazy when I was a kid but really I am a real novice when it comes to hydro knowledge. I have never raced it . A 23 year military career and spending a lot of time in the middle east kinda got in the way. I wanted to take the boat up to Cross Lake this weekend but it doesnt look ike I'm going to make it. Would love to get around a bunch of people who really know what they are talking about whern it comes to these boats. I have to take some pics of some of the patches in the sponsons maybe youguys could identify the boat from them...

Thanks Alec, for your Service. Your in the right place to find out stuff but on the lake amongst others is another kind of fun. Maybe there's others in your area.:cool:

aleconthelake
08-12-2011, 06:15 PM
Pictures are always a help. Is the deck fabric or wood? We had both over the years and the wood boat had a Heath Kit Tach. in it that I built from one of the kits.....
You may have the one that a Gus Stopzenski owned.

Hi John
Finally took some sots of some of the older repair work that was done to the sponsons and the right rear corner of my boat before i got it... recognize any of it?