PDA

View Full Version : Freddy H. at Speed, 1967

Ron Hill
07-23-2005, 01:43 PM
Mercguy...

Here is Fred Hauenstein, Jr. at speed with a 1967 BELL CRAFT hydro, Konig VC (Rotary valve 500) with an Eldridge Lower unit...Smith two blade prop)...

Boat was Fred Cafe ORANGE!!!

mercguy
07-23-2005, 02:00 PM
Mercguy...

Here is Fred Hauenstein, Jr. at speed with a 1967 BELL CRAFT hydro, Konig VC (Rotary valve 500) with an Eldridge Lower unit...Smith two blade prop)...

Boat was Fred Cafe ORANGE!!!

is that the prop you were talking to me about last weekend?????

Ron Hill
07-23-2005, 02:04 PM
Danny Schwarzenbach's favorite expression, when mad, was gall dang. He signle handedly kept the 36 class alive. The boat in the picture, Danny built on the floor of his shop (boat shop). He never had any plans or jigs...Just built the sucker the way he wanted it...I'd tell him he should better make plans for the next one...He did...He bought a boat from Bill Boyes..

Anyway, I'm not sure why Lane Curry is driving Danny's 36 in this picture, but, if my memory serves me well, this was the Colorado River Marathon 1965.

I won DU, for about the 8th straight year...and after the races Danny Swampinback, as I called him...actually, Ted May started calling him that...offered to take me and my girlfriend skiing. I was pretty sure Danny could have cared less about me skiing, but he wanted to see that sweet young thing with me in a bakini...

Danny wanted to give the "Little Lady" the first ride...He gave her one of those belts that go around the stomach...She skiied for awhile, then, on a corner she went *** over tea kettle...Losing her TOP....which was very obivious to anyone watching, even from the shore!!.... So, as Dan brought the boat over to pick her up, I, of course, wanted to "PROTECT" my woman..and Danny wanted to "SEE" my woman....Dan and me werew on the same side of the boat and Danny's wife is screaming that we were going to turn the boat over....Danny always called his wife "Mother"...He just said, "Mother, the little lady needs a hand."

So, after we got her aboard...and her suit back on..I skiied...Danny headed right back to the dock...Two problems, the harbor had a 5 MPH speedlimit...(That was off during the races) and the sherrif's boat was the other problem...

I'm laughing like hell...Danny gets this big mother ticket...my girl frind and I head back to college....Danny always said that was the most fun he ever had pulling someone son skiis!!!!

But GALL DANG that ticket was expensive!!!

Miss you Danny. In 1957, at Worchester, Massachuesetts, it rained like hell...But every heat, Danny carried me to my boat and made sure I stayed dry til the race started...Danny had a big heart!!!

Ron Hill
07-23-2005, 02:13 PM
Now, Dave Mayer builts a boat with a wing...he get beached for 30 days. Ted May runs a wing for 20 years, no one sees it...

Ted May was my HERO when I was growing up.....He was bigger than life...He didn't have a job...didn't seem to need money and played with boats, go karts, and was just like one of us kids...

Somehow he got a hold of a gold plated Mark 55 E...he put those cowling on his 55 H...Ted played quarterback for the Navy after World War II. He always like a crowd...and he was a crowd pleaser!!!!

Sorry, this isn't Ted "GOLD 55-H" but it is the one with the louvered cowling, that many thought was illegal!!!!

Ron Hill
07-23-2005, 02:39 PM
I was talking about an old Ron Hill two blade that Andy Hansen runs on ASR...Freddy's wheel is at the bottom of Lake LaPere in Michigan...and his other Smith wheel, at the time, one blade is there too!!!

That was 1967...and Freddy is still made at ME!!!! I didn't race, as Harry Bartolmie wouldn't let me run his EQUIPMENT unless he was there....At that Michigna race all I did was drink beer and give away beer!...and Freddy blamed me for breaking a blade and losing a prop....It wasn't MY FAULT, FREDDY...Donny drove the boat!!!! No, I didn't tighten the prop nut...it wasn't MY JOB!!!!

bill boyes
07-23-2005, 03:45 PM
Danny Schwarzenbach's favorite expression, when mad, was gall dang. He signle handedly kept the 36 class alive. The boat in the picture, Danny built on the floor of his shop (boat shop). He never had any plans or jigs...Just built the sucker the way he wanted it...I'd tell him he should better make plans for the next one...He did...He bought a boat from Bill Boyes..

Anyway, I'm not sure why Lane Curry is driving Danny's 36 in this picture, but, if my memory serves me well, this was the Colorado River Marathon 1965.

I won DU, for about the 8th straight year...and after the races Danny Swampinback, as I called him...actually, Ted May started calling him that...offered to take me and my girlfriend skiing. I was pretty sure Danny could have cared less about me skiing, but he wanted to see that sweet young thing with me in a bakini...

Danny wanted to give the "Little Lady" the first ride...He gave her one of those belts that go around the stomach...She skiied for awhile, then, on a corner she went *** over tea kettle...Losing her TOP....which was very obivious to anyone watching, even from the shore!!.... So, as Dan brought the boat over to pick her up, I, of course, wanted to "PROTECT" my woman..and Danny wanted to "SEE" my woman....Dan and me werew on the same side of the boat and Danny's wife is screaming that we were going to turn the boat over....Danny always called his wife "Mother"...He just said, "Mother, the little lady needs a hand."

So, after we got her aboard...and her suit back on..I skiied...Danny headed right back to the dock...Two problems, the harbor had a 5 MPH speedlimit...(That was off during the races) and the sherrif's boat was the other problem...

I'm laughing like hell...Danny gets this big mother ticket...my girl frind and I head back to college....Danny always said that was the most fun he ever had pulling someone son skiis!!!!

But GALL DANG that ticket was expensive!!!

Miss you Danny. In 1957, at Worchester, Massachuesetts, it rained like hell...But every heat, Danny carried me to my boat and made sure I stayed dry til the race started...Danny had a big heart!!! Another Danny story: He owned Spoteman's Marine on Western ave just north of Century Blvd in Southwest Los Angeles. In the Fall and Winter business would get slow so Danny would sell Xmass trees in December. Well I got to kidding him that i should bring some tumbleweeds and he could Flock them and sell them. Soon after my parents house in Palos Verdes was over run with Tumbleweeds. So i loaded up my El Camino and took them to Danny and he Flocked them in several colors and wouldn't you know they sold like Hot Cakes. So for the next few weeks before Xmas i gave Danny a lot of Tumbleweeds. Danny was a Great salesman. How many people can sell a tumbleweed?

bill boyes
07-23-2005, 03:52 PM
Ron, Remember Lee Burris was a buddy of Danny's and Lane. He had a liqour store and was held up several times. So he started packing a gun. Now and then you would read in the newspaper that Lee shot another robber. I think his body count was about 5 when he sold that liqour store.

Ron Hill
07-23-2005, 04:30 PM
Wasn't his boat shop called Southwest Marine???

I use to "HANG OUT" at Danny's for several reasons...One, he always had lots of FREE BEER. But also, LAX's glide slope was over his shop. When my wife worked for TWA, I'd go to Danny's and drink beer, when my wife's flight would be due, I'd start watching for TWA planes. When I'd see a TWA go over, I'd haul *** and pick her up...she's say, "Been to Schwarzenbach's AGAIN!!!"

One Christmas, I was watching a young couple checking out trees. They had actually gotten into their car to leave. Danny goes out and knocks on their window. He says, "Why you leaving?" They say the trees are too expensive. He asks what they want to pay. They say twenty bucks. He says, "GET OUT"...They show him the tree....He pauses, fifty-five dollar price tag...He say, "Well gall dang...I really need twenty five for that one.". So, they bought it...After they left he said, "Well the tree costs me five bucks...."

That was when twenty buck was real money!!!

Danny WAS A SALESMAN.....He also carried the paper on many customers boats and motors...about the time the boat or motor would be paid for....they'd break and Dan would have to fix them again...

When he first got his business going, he delivered papers for the LA Mirror every morning at 5:00....

Mickey Schwarzenbach, Dan's son, owns and operates Appley Valley Marine on Highway 18 in Appel Valley, California...Danny homesteaded that land originally!!!! I think!!!!

Mickey still has his dad's Evinrude 36 and Chrysler 36...and his Hill runabout hanging in the garage of his mother's house...Time capsule!!!!

bill boyes
07-23-2005, 05:08 PM
Wasn't his boat shop called Southwest Marine???

I use to "HANG OUT" at Danny's for several reasons...One, he always had lots of FREE BEER. But also, LAX's glide slope was over his shop. When my wife worked for TWA, I'd go to Danny's and drink beer, when my wife's flight would be due, I'd start watching for TWA planes. When I'd see a TWA go over, I'd haul *** and pick her up...she's say, "Been to Schwarzenbach's AGAIN!!!"

One Christmas, I was watching a young couple checking out trees. They had actually gotten into their car to leave. Danny goes out and knocks on their window. He says, "Why you leaving?" They say the trees are too expensive. He asks what they want to pay. They say twenty bucks. He says, "GET OUT"...They show him the tree....He pauses, fifty-five dollar price tag...He say, "Well gall dang...I really need twenty five for that one.". So, they bought it...After they left he said, "Well the tree costs me five bucks...."

That was when twenty buck was real money!!!

Danny WAS A SALESMAN.....He also carried the paper on many customers boats and motors...about the time the boat or motor would be paid for....they'd break and Dan would have to fix them again...

When he first got his business going, he delivered papers for the LA Mirror every morning at 5:00....

Mickey Schwarzenbach, Dan's son, owns and operates Appley Valley Marine on Highway 18 in Appel Valley, California...Danny homesteaded that land originally!!!! I think!!!!

Mickey still has his dad's Evinrude 36 and Chrysler 36...and his Hill runabout hanging in the garage of his mother's house...Time capsule!!!! Yes, It was Southwest Marine. (old age) I went to High School about 4 blocks from his shop and lived about 2 miles south on 80th street. When John Kennendy was assassinated Mike Wetmore(alas Squawman) and I were at Danny's shop hanging out.

Steven Curry
07-23-2005, 09:07 PM
I can remember spending many a weekend watching Dan and Dad work on their engines, talk about the next race, the last race etc. Mickey and I spent a lot of time together at that shop. And there was always plenty of beer on hand! Not that we got any of it. Also, the picture of Dad in the 112-C boat was at the marathon, not sure of the year. This was before he picked up the Boyes boat that became Chickenship. Dad thinks he was coming in to get gas in this picture.