PDA

View Full Version : flywheel alternator magnets

Mark75H
08-07-2011, 06:56 PM
I'm thinking of making a replica T-2 aluminum flywheel over next winter when things are slow.

I'm also considering using smaller more expensive magnets instead of the stock magnets to make the flywheel both lighter and safer (because the magnets will weigh less and there will be more aluminum holding them in place).

Any comments? Ideas?

MonsterNine
08-08-2011, 08:26 AM
Hi Sam,
I am working on figuring out the outboard ignition systems since I have to replace the CDI on my Tohatsu and I don't like the fact that the power pack and coils are all in the same unit. What I would like to do is replace the ignition with a different power pack and separate coils from a different motor. My question is since you are changing the magnets, and I guess that would change the voltage produced from them, will the voltage change cause problems with the power packs? Hope that makes sense. . .

Dave

Mark75H
08-08-2011, 08:52 AM
I am not running that type ignition and my output voltage is not critical

The T-2 uses a regular belt driven distributor

Phil McDaniel
08-11-2011, 05:09 PM
Dave, things are out there to change things up a little. On a 3 cyl. OMC I built, I adapted a 70 Yamaha flywheel and stator to it. Didn't have a 70 pack so I took a 3 cyl. merc pack and changed the wiring as for firing order. Works great. Was one of the easiest conversions I've done. I'm messing with the Yamaha 3 cyl. 40/50 now. Lot of HP in these 42.6 cube motors. Lots of luck in your venture. E-mail if you have any ideas. Phil

MonsterNine
08-14-2011, 01:32 PM
Sam, what alloy do you make your flywheels from and what will be your source of magnets?

Dave

Mark75H
08-14-2011, 01:41 PM
Dave, I have since picked up a lead on a Merc prototype aluminum flywheel that I will use. It doesn't have magnets in it and I am not 100% certain I will put magnets in it. If I do, I will probably find something on eBay.